Thread: Is it legal?

Banned

Post Is it legal?

Is it legal to live in a national forest?

If I recall correctly, it is unlawful to occupy a location on federal land for more than 14 days in a calender year. This is a both an anti-vagrancy provision, and a protection against over-use of any particular area by one person or group.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

your best bet is to save money and buy a place nestled up in a national forest. This way it's yours and you can't get run off. Getting runoff causes you to lose supplies and such kinda like a divorce. The other way may be to file or buy a mining claim. Mining claim laws may have changed so I don't know if this is still a good option. You have to actively mine it though.

Quote Originally Posted by dizralph View Post
    Is it legal to live in a national forest?
    If you mean squatting where you are living permanently on land that does not belong to you, then no - it is not legal. Keep in mind however that there are many communities and homesteads located inside National Forests that were there long before the NF designation. You can buy a place in a NF if your goal is to live in one.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-07-2012 at 02:47 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have 16 acres for sale inside the Chugach National Forest.........if your interested.

I often wonder just when the idea got started that you can just move in and squat on land that doesn't have a house 20 ft away, and it's OK?

Used to be that same question was asked by people looking to "Homestead".....as in, "I have been hearing about these here homesteads, where do I get one"?

I do remember adds in the paper that promised 'free land"....Just sends us $25 bucks for the 'free map".

The neighbor out at "The Place" ran off a squatter that had a camp in my lower field, down by the river.....turned out the guy had just kind moved in, so when confronted gave the neighbor a bad time.....call to the LEO's solved that sitaution...guy had really made a mess...which I cleaned up....still got the poncho.

Like I said, just makes me wonder?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I have lived in the NF lots of times. Still haven't died there yet. Does that qualify me as a hard core survivalist? Just wondering, cuz I bought the t-shirt and was wondering if I could wear it yet. The govment doesn't really want anyone to die there either.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

The last legal homesteading allowed by the Federal Government was in Alaska in 1973. You are not allowed to live permanently or semi-permanently in any federal preserve, national park or national forest unless the land is legally leased from the government or has grandfathered provisions due to pre-existance prior to the surrounding property being made into a federal landholding. This includes lands which are held by other government agencies like the Dept. of the Interior or the Dept. of Energy, such as mines. You may camp in such areas, providing there are no other posted restrictions, for no more than 14 consecutive days in the same spot. If you were nomadic and didn't mind moving and resetting camp every 2 weeks, you could probably make a living in a national forest, but you would also probably run afoul of rangers and game wardens unless you have all the proper hunting, fishing and trapping licenses and there are a lot of overlapping game seasons.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Blog Entries

Cool Fyi...

Whenever you need to know go to the source and ask them. I did just that and here's what I got back:

"I contacted several people regarding your question about the legality of living on national forest lands. Not being attorneys, we’re not authorized to provide legal advice – that would have to come from an attorney. That being said, the Code of Federal Regulations might provide you with the answers you’re looking for-

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....33.13&idno=36

Corresponding regulation is 36 CFR 251.50(a) which requires a special use authorization for any use or activity on National Forest System lands

I hope this helps – just remember, it’s not legal advice.

Thanks for your phone call,

Elayne Boyce
    USDA Forest Service, Washington Office
    Staff Assistant
    Recreation and Wilderness Staffs
    202-205-9530
    Fax: 202-205-1145
    eboyce@fs.fed.usDear Mr. Szewczyk,

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

FinallyMe is a fine example of what I want to be when I grow up. I strive not to die in a forest, too.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    FinallyMe is a fine example of what I want to be when I grow up. I strive not to die in a forest, too.
    Well, considering you have socks older than me......
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Mil-Dot Firearms Academy Kosuki's Avatar

If you buy land anywhere esp. in a forest make sure you have full rights to the land including mineral rights, never know when you mind find the next gold mine on your land.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are many different use designations within the Federal land system. Remember that there is Bureau of Land Management, Forest Service and Park service.

My FIL has a camper up a box canyon outside Pheonix on a BLM area where he pays $20 per year use fee. Park Service limits things severly and Forest Service makes long term lease agreements and even sells logging rights.

The recomendation is to check your particular situation and do not take anything for granted until you see it in writing from the Fed.

1/2 of the land west of the Mississippi is in government hands, and that is for a reason. Most of it is worthless and the government could not give it away, even to the hordes of immigrants of the 19th century. You are talking about land illigal immigrants CROSS to get to the good places. No one stays there.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?