Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know a good place to get a knife like this?

Default Anyone know a good place to get a knife like this?

I want a inexpensive knife thats not cheaply made. I'm looking for something like my old one that i lost a few years back. It was a fixed blade, one solid piece of steel (not stainless) that made up the blade and handle, it held an edge really well, it was kinda heavy, had a tightly wraped leather handle, and it had a guard to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade.

Have you thought about makeing one from an old file? There are a lot of good how to videos on youtube. I haven't tried it yet, but I found some old leaf springs yesterday that I plan to turn into knives.
    BRAIN UNDER CONSTRUCTION PLEASE EXCUSE MY SPELLING!

Do you know what type of knife you had? What's your budget? What is the knife to be used for?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Comments in red.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    I want a inexpensive knife thats not cheaply made...In most cases I'd recommend a Mora Knife. Now-a-days, other than that, there's no such animal.

I'm looking for something like my old one that i lost a few years back....I'm sorry for your loss, however, without pictures, it's hard to tell what you're referring to.

It was a fixed blade, one solid piece of steel (not stainless) that made up the blade and handle, it held an edge really well, it was kinda heavy, had a tightly wraped leather handle, and it had a guard to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade....This sounds similar to the short-bladed Ka-bar fighting knife:

http://www.amazon.com/KA-BAR-Marine-...d_sim_sbs_sg_3
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

All steel including the handle hrm... I can think of a couple integral/socket handled knives that fit that profile, and a couple of people who make them. Would you like to elaborate on your definition of inexpensive? I know that in the knife world, that can be a very broad and vague concept.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

This should keep you busy looking for your old knife for a couple of hours.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/main_front.jsp

They also have your Moras and most other well known brands. I have been dealing with them for years, they ship quickly and their prices are as good as anyone.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Have you looked into any knives from this maker?? He does some awesome blades!http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...lades-For-Sale
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Now there's an idea.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

go to smokey mountain knife works online they have many to chose from

It was really similar to a ka-bar knife except the leather was different and I think kabar have a seraded part near the bottom I've never found another one exactly like it it was probably hand made. Anyone have a recommendation for what type of steel holds an edge really well if I make one?
    Last edited by Zachary; 08-05-2012 at 09:27 PM.

I couldn't possibly tell you which steel will hold an edge well if you make one, as I don't know what resources you have to heat treat one. an oil hardening carbon steel will be easier to heat treat than many others. I've used a few pieces of L6, and a good bit of 1075, 1084 and 5160. Those are not too troublesome.

As Canid said - no knife that you make will hold an edge well unless you properly heat treat it - or protect an existing temper on steel that is already suited for a knife.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

"I want a inexpensive knife thats not cheaply made. I'm looking for something like my old one that i lost a few years back. It was a fixed blade, one solid piece of steel (not stainless) that made up the blade and handle, it held an edge really well, it was kinda heavy, had a tightly wraped leather handle, and it had a guard to keep your hand from slipping onto the blade."

Zachary,
    I don't want to discourage you about making a knife, making a knife yourself is a great project. After many years of experience I have learned that to make a knife or other thing to save money has some significant considerations. Primary thing is if you don't have the tools to effectively accomplish your task, you'll blow your "inexpensive knife" budget quickly. There are quite a few skilled knife makers on this forum that can give you an idea on what basic tools are needed to make your first knife and an idea on how much that might cost. I have a small blacksmith shop and most of the tools. I have made a few knives and have done so because I wanted to make a knife. They are OK and turned out sort of the way I wanted. When I have a desire for a specific style of knife I find it and buy it.

There are knife making supply companies that you can purchase parts from to build a custom knife. This option may be better suited to someone who is limited on the tools available. Other members of the forum will have more experience with these companies then I do and can suggest the ones they favor.

1 What is your budget?
    2 Can you draw this knife to help us better understand what you are thinking of or find a photo of one or several that are similar and indicate the features on the photo that you like?
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 08-06-2012 at 09:02 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Zachary View Post
    It was really similar to a ka-bar knife except the leather was different and I think kabar have a seraded part near the bottom I've never found another one exactly like it it was probably hand made. Anyone have a recommendation for what type of steel holds an edge really well if I make one?
    You can get the Ka-Bar with or without serrations, your choice.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

What you describe sounds just like a kabar type knife.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Come on guys, it was a "You know" knife.

It had a sharp edge on one side and was dull on the other.

One end came to a point and the other was sort of blunt where you could grab it without cutting your hand.

It was made only for use by short, tall, thin, fat people that had hair or were bald.

"You Know" the one, they were all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Come on guys, it was a "You know" knife.

It had a sharp edge on one side and was dull on the other.

One end came to a point and the other was sort of blunt where you could grab it without cutting your hand.

It was made only for use by short, tall, thin, fat people that had hair or were bald.

"You Know" the one, they were all over the place.
    Yes. And I have two of them that I intend to offer for sale to him. One to use and one for a spare.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

(shaking head) I didn't see a bazinga! anywhere in that post. (still shaking head).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I was going to 'Bazinga" but made myself giggle and I bit my tongue that was in my cheek as I typed!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

OK, for the sarcastically challenged, here it is;

!!BAZZZZINGA!!