Thread: Buffalo meat for dehydrating?

Default Buffalo meat for dehydrating?

I am reading up on dehydrating. I may go look at dehydrators tomorrow. Can't spend a lot but it looks like Walmart has one for a little over $100.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Prago-10-T...rator/14321015
    Has anyone used this one?

If you think I can get a decent one for less please let me know. The only thing I learned for sure so far is that I need a timer, temp control up to 160 degrees and fan not on the bottom.
    Aaaaanyway, my original point...I read the meat dehydrating is not a good idea and then I read that its ok if you do it right. One point is to use lean meat. Soooo, has anyone dehydrated buffalo meat? I can be it nearby and it is very good, but to dry for grilling. How about for dehydrating?
    Last edited by sofasurfer; 08-04-2012 at 05:16 AM.

I've got no experience with that model, but it (along with the one I currently have) is lacking two features that I want on my next one. There is no thermostat or time on it. That being said, the only negative comments I read about it were the noise level from the fan.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I think it does have a thermostat, adjustable from 84 to 155. But, it does not have a timer. That is simple to fix by putting an appropriately sized inline timer on it.

I am also looking to purchase a dehydrator, mine is on its last legs. I consider dedicated fruit leather trays to be an important feature. I use them for much more than fruit leather. Drying sauces, ground meat, eggs, etc are some of the few. Using parchment or Saran will work but it is clumsy, at least for me. Turned up edges on dedicated trays are just so convenient.

I have never dried Buffalo, but I see no reason why you can't. Jerky of course, but don't forget chili and soup/stew meat. Ground beef or venison mixed with bread crumbs, cooked, then dried, makes for many uses. The bread crumbs make it much easier to reconstitute.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

If you don't have a timer then simply use a kitchen timer. You have to hear it to turn off the dehydrator of course. Can't just go to bed or out in the yard and let it do it's thing. Timers are a handy thing.

I have no knowledge of the one you listed. It seems to get good customer reviews from those that left them.

Any meat can be dehydrated as long as it is low in fat. I've never done Buffalo specifically so I don't know how it turns out. If you are new to dehydrating then I'd suggest starting with a less expensive piece of meat in case you mess up. Use ground chuck. It's leaner. Fry it and break it up into crumbles. Drain the fat and water off. Some folks run hot water over it to extract more fat but I've never done that. Place the cooked hamburger in the dehydrator and turn it on. When it's like gravel you're done. Pretty simple for starters.

ITN - Try using Press and Seal in place of the fruit trays. Leave enough extended over the edge near the fan (hopefully the fan is in back) and press it down so the fan can't lift it up. The Press and Seal will stay in place and not blow around like Saran Wrap. The dedicated trays are the bees knees for sure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have a round tray model. Kinda the round hole/square peg syndrome. It can be done, but it ain't easy or pretty. Even with these new fangled square hole models, it has to be simpler with the correct trays.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Gotcha. My wife would come home to me not so neatly wrapped in Saran Wrap, the dehydrator broken and the meat spoiled.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you are drying meat a timer is not critical. I find it takes many hours to properly dry meats. I start mine at night and it is finished when I wake. Put more in and it is done when I get home from work.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Buffalo is good dehydrated but it tastes better if you smoke it for a half an hour before you dry it.