Thread: Act of Valor!

Blog Entries

Cool Act of Valor!

If you haven't already done so, check out the DVD: "Act of Valor" about the Navy Seals. Actual Seals were used for consulting, real Seals were involved in making the picture and the story was taken from actual missions. Great Film!

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Rented it just the other night, awesome movie!
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Seen it. Good movie. Would suggest it to anyone that enjoys military type movies.

OT
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I own the movie myself. I agree with Sarge a must see!!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Not only were they consultants, but the Seals in the film were actual Navy Seals - not actors.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool 10-4!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Not only were they consultants, but the Seals in the film were actual Navy Seals - not actors.
    Right! My wife was saying that some people on her boards were complaining about the actors not being as good as they would have liked, go figure. Anyway others were quick to point out that these guys were the "real deal!" Not only do they work hard and even lay down their lives to keep this country safe, they fully understand the concept of "teamwork!" It was both an inspiring and uplifting film!

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There was a time when Seals were not allowed to admit they were seals, and most certainly not allowed to have their pictures splashed on a movie screen for the world to see!

Retaliation and revenge agaist family members was a real concern.

I still remember, back in the '80s, one of my close friends breaking down and crying likie a baby when he saw a group picture of a Seal Team , because he knew the only way the photo would be released was if all the members were dead.

It appears publicity has taken dominance over security.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I watched that DVD three times last week, great movie. (Mini-Guns just blow my mind)

Most of the scenes were live fire. http://www.military.com/video/forces...1423620551001/
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kyr I agree with your security verses publicity statement. Can you imagine with the media the way it is now trying to pull off D day? TMZ would probably call Hitler and ask him what he thought about all those men and ships in GB getting ready to invade France. Oh yes. Times have changed.

OT
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

KYRATSHOOTER - "There was a time when Seals were not allowed to admit they were seals, and most certainly not allowed to have their pictures splashed on a movie screen for the world to see!"
    Yep. I have a good friend who was a Navy SEAL and among other places, served in Vietnam. He was badly wounded near the end of his second tour. We became friends in 1990 and it was two years before he told me he had been a SEAL. (It's a long story as to how that came out.) He was very very circumspect about what he did in Vietnam. I did not ask him as it was none of my business.

Once, later, he showed me a picture taken someplace in Vietnam, of him and several of his teammates as they were "saddled up" before going out on a mission. He laughed and said, "See? That's when I still had hair."

Once in some conversation we had, the subject of tattoos came up. He -- nor I -- had any "tatts." He told me that when he graduated from BUD/S, he and his several classmates who had completed BUD/S were told in no uncertain terms to NEVER get any tattoo of any kind whatsoever that would identify them as SEALs. Anyone who did, would automatically be dropped from the teams. They were going to be going to Vietnam when they finished all their training and it was imperative they could not be identified as a SEAL, should they be captured by the NVA or VC.

We still stay in contact today by e-mail and phone. He told me he saw Act Of Valor and said although it was well done, he thought they "gave away too much." I didn't ask what. Again, none of my business.

Today, the SEALs are very well known, although most of their missions are still highly classified. (Except when the President of the U.S. takes credit for what they do.)

S.M.

Blog Entries

Cool Lest we forget....

Also there's the "Delta Force" who's also been shrouded in secrecy.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

From the inception of "special ops", there has always been "friction" between the ops side and the Public Affairs folks. Looks like the PAO side is winning. Where's Ernie Pyle when you need him?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

http://www.ussmichaelmurphy.org/#!about-the-ship The last ship of the current DDG 51 class destroyers being built by Bath Iron Works, named for Michael Murphy who lost his life and was awarded the Medal of Honor. The ship leaves the ship yard shortly to join the fleet.