Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are your top 10 items

You forgot your Bazinga!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Shelby - Welcome home. I'm going to suggest you contact your county extension service and find out if they have a Master Gardener's class. They are usually one night a week for a couple of hours and last six weeks or so. Whether you desire to become a Master Gardener isn't necessary but the information you learn and the resources you will acquire are excellent.

Folks think they can just save seeds and be off to gardening but it isn't that simple. You want heirloom seeds planted that will not be subject to cross pollination with nearby plants. To collect seeds from those plants you will need to select disease free plants and know what needs to be done to salvage the seeds so they will be viable for next years crop. You'll need to know which seeds produce best for the location you live in and what hardiness zone that is. Those are just a very very few of the items that you will need to know if you want sustained seed production from your plants.

For the seeds you have, keep the labels. I store my seeds, labels and all, in a zip lock bag. Keep them in the refrigerator. Seeds like cool, dry air, which the refrigerator provides. Your seeds will remain viable if kept in the refrigerator for several years. You also want to know the botanical name for your plants. You don't have to remember it but write it down and keep it with your seeds (inside the zip lock). Common names vary from region to region. If you have a plant that does particularly well then you want to look for that EXACT plant and you'll want to know the botanical name for it. "Red pepper" probably won't get you what you want.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yes on the Co-Op courses. I have taken the Master Wildlifer and the Master Naturalist and they were both excellent. I wanted to take the Master Tree Farmer but for some reason it has been scratched for several years here? It is a more extensive course than the others so that may be the deal?
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Are you telling me the Master Tree Farmer class was trimmed? Are you saying they failed to branch out to cover it? That's sad (Bazinga!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Are you telling me the Master Tree Farmer class was trimmed? Are you saying they failed to branch out to cover it? That's sad (Bazinga!)
    I think the problem may be more deeply rooted than that. It might be that some very shady nuts are trying to block out enough light so that there will be no young sprouts blossom? It also may be some lumberjack types that are chopping at the base. But hey, you know farmers they always have something to Bark about! Nothing but a bunch of saps in my book! I think the people on that board cannot see the forest for all the trees? All they do is Mill around like a bunch of knotheads failing to see that the cross section now has a very narrow growth ring. But what can I do other than go against the grain? That would Rip right through the center Heartwood of the group. Might be better just to let the deadwood fall off so as not to get snagged in a deadfall.

**Oh yeah..........................Bazinga.

My hat is off to you, sir.......(deep bow).....

Ahh We gotta have a little fun along the way right!

To save on TP I would set up camp along a fast moving stream and stand about waist deep in it. I think you get the idea. I dont think I would need anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    To save on TP I would set up camp along a fast moving stream and stand about waist deep in it. I think you get the idea. I dont think I would need anything else.
    I know this was sort of a fantasy scenario. Please tell us that you normally bring TP or use leaves. Rivers and streams are not bathrooms. Actions like this is what causes others to get sick.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Nix on the cold stream......tend to tighten up the exhaust vents....if ya know what I mean.....takes a long time to thaw...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I MUST have TP! Leaves may work, but when TSHTF, its the little things that keep you sane and happy. My list?

Lots of amo for the 22
    Extra fishing supplies
    A new knife (I've been looking for a good reason to add to my collection - this seems like a good one)
    Fuel
    Candles (though as a practicing Pagan I have tons)
    Altoids so I can use the tins to make char cloth for fire starting.
    And I have to go with the boys on this one: Beer.
    And a truckload of TP

I have about 3 years worth of edible seeds, lots of bottled water and canned and freezdried food, so I think I'm good there... For a while. Are we talking temporary or long term fan-hitting?
    Last edited by Tootsiepop254; 08-06-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added thought
    Cheer up, the worst is yet to come.

Seems like more than 10.... LOL, but Hey, you are the one counting, show me one person that won't try to hedge their bets if even just a tad.

Why ask for a beer, when you could ask for a beer truck....BOV DE-LUX...oh yeah and chips...
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'd buy more food, and a woodstove to put in the house.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Ooh, a thought... Antibiotics?

Ooh, a thought... Antibiotics?

ok guys this may be a bit out there but no.1 on my list is making sure i have a second pair of eyeglasses (perscription sunglasses) if u cant see what your shooting at your just waisting your weapon and ammo

Yeah and yelling at the bad guys tends to give your position away.

"Hey! Can you come closer? I can't see you.....Closer.....keeping coming.......keep coming.....Okay. Stop right there. Say cheese."

Assuming I have everything that I already have, I'd focus on cooking oils, batteries, gasoline, and other things that are hard to store in large quantities because their shelf life is limited.

If I'm starting from scratch, I'll focus on water purification/filtration, beans, rice, pasta, cooking oil, dry milk, canned veggies, vitamins, batteries, flashlights, a shortwave radio, FRS or CB radios, and a used Marlin model 60, if I have the time/ability to find one. If I knew I could use the internet to order stuff, I'd add in antibiotics (fish antibiotics), and some cheap 2m Chinese ham radios instead of the FRS radios.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...