Thread: Made my First Net

Default Made my First Net

Thanks to asemery/Tony I made my first piece of netting yesterday. Thank You Tony for being generous in passing along your knowledge and experience. This is something I have always wondered about and wanted to try and thanks to you I was able to do it.
    Granted it is in no way close to perfect but taking into account I have never done this before I am still pretty proud of it. Now, with a little experience and practice I can get better with my knots and spacing. I would love to have a hammock out in the yard that I made myself!
    If you are at all interested in trying to make a net give this a try. I started yesterday after supper with nothing more than a paint stick to make my needle and gauge and a spool of simple cotton twine and by last night I had my tools made and my first piece of netting made, pretty cool huh! It is really easy to do and once you get the needle and gauge made it goes pretty quick and is fun to do. Thanks again Tony.
    **And thank you Hunter for showing me how to get these pix up!
    Here are the instructions I followed.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...g-Part-1-and-2

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by wtrfwlr; 08-01-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added link
    My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I'am.

Well done. Had to send a little rep your way.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fine job there, Bud, you have more patience than I do.....I agree that the tutorials from asemery/Tony are excellent, very good addition to the group.

Years ago, DW got real heavy into macrame, and I was working in a factory that used all sizes of cotton cording for the insides of wire rope (core), meaning an unlimited supply of raw materials.
    I never got into it, but do manage to frustrate myself with paracord, the last couple of years or so.....(y'all are leading down that path), but there still are plant hangers, belts and other stuff around from those days.

Sadly all the cording was tossed out when the factory closed, we are talking BY THE TON.......

Oh well keep up the good work.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Thanks Hunter, I was really surprised at how fast it went! That was one of the things that sort of intimidated me about this, was how much time it would take. Within a few minutes though I was getting a little system down and next thing you know I was doing row after row. And this is with no instruction other than what Tony had written down in the paper.
    Dang! That reminds me, I meant to put that link in my post. I'll go do that now.
    Anyway, thanks Crash. I always wondered what those little green dots were???

Very well done. I am happy to have been of help. It's great to welcome another netmaker into the fold.
    My first needle was a paint stirring stick as well. Tony
    Last edited by asemery; 08-01-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    Happily tangled in my nets at
    http://pineapple.myfunforum.org/index.php?c=7

Quote Originally Posted by asemery View Post
    Very well done. It's great to welcome another netmaker into the fold. Tony
    Thanks, your instruction were just great. I look forward to doing more. My big thing to concentrate on is making sure my hitch knots tighten correctly. I'm having trouble with them dropping down like you show in the picture. And you're right the knot will not lock if it is dropped down like that. Just something to pay attention to.

If you want to look at nets once produced in your land-locked area look at your local or state museums. I am sure that there are old examples of hoop nets such as mentioned here. http://www.elegantastronaut.com/2011...sas-river.html Tony

I have seen quite a few Logger heads like that around here and over on the White River. I would love to fish with hoop nets some time just to see what it is like. There are still quite a few commercial fisherman here use them everyday.

awesome job wtrflr, asemery has motivated me to start a net, I made one umteen million years ago from nylon mason twine. I have some questions that I'm going to run by asemery soon.

wtrfwir
    and others who are first attempting net making. Read the tips I posted on this forum
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...nning-Netmaker
    The first three are important to eliminate spilled knots. Tony
    Last edited by asemery; 08-01-2012 at 07:32 PM.

randyt,
    I advised wtrfwir on another thread to stay away from nylon twine. The slippery nature of nylon
    makes it difficult to work with. Use cottton jute or other natural material for that first net. Tony

You go man!!!! I truly admire your tenacity!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.