Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arctic Circle Trip

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, Thanks....just watched Ice Road Truckers last nite, was blizzards....?????
    The TV can't be wrong.....LOL

I was thinking, or led to believe that the only time that road is passable in in the winter when the tundra is fozen?
    Not true?
    Not true. The road is open year round. The situation is though, many of the roads off of the Dalton into the oilfields are ONLY ice roads that are built up in the winter. The ice protects the tundra so in the summer, those sites are not accessible by ground as there are no ACTUAL roads to them. Also, the road, when covered with ice is a lot smoother then all the washboard and potholes that develop on the summer road so that is easier on the trucks (and the driver).

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Either you are a midget's midget or that sign is very tall for a very sad reason. $5.19 a gallon? Jeepers. You're right next to the pipeline for cryin' out loud.

Great pics! Someday I gotta take that road. I'd like to drive it up to Prudhoe Bay and back. The "and back" is real important.
    I'm 5'4", that is just a really tall sign. Yea we whine about gas prices all the time due to the millions of gallons of oil running through our back yard. But it's not oil that is in shortage, it's refinery. We have one of course but they mostly make jet fuel as our wide open air space is a world commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Wow, looks like a great trip 1stimester! I am jealous and wish I could do that someday!
    Well come on up. I'll be your personal tour guide.

Quote Originally Posted by wtrfwlr View Post
    They get ALOT of snow up there. I remember my first winter in Denver, the cop cars have their lights on scissor lifts that raise them of the roof several feet so they can be seen over the snowbanks!
    That's hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yeah, one small town we were at some place north of Los Anchorage had over 400 inches the previous winter. I can't imagine what they get farther north on the Dalton. [/COLOR]
    We don't get near that amount of snow. Being land locked means we don't have the moisture that Anchorage does. Our snow is very, very dry. You can not make snowballs or snow men with it. It's like sand. Plus, it gets too cold to snow for a large part of the winter. The thing is though, once we get snow, it stays for the winter, normally from the first of October till May.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Banned

Great pics! I'm envious!