Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulin and Anti-biotics.....are there any bushcraft formulas for these?

Banned

Default Insulin and Anti-biotics.....are there any bushcraft formulas for these?

I am very interested in finding out if there are any backwoods methods to make and store diabetic insulins and internally taken anti-biotics? Please direct me to any books, articles or formulary procedures for these. If it is NOT possible for backwoods making of these.... what should a person with insulin dependent diabetes and prone to infections do in an extended survival situation?

Well...honey is a natural antibiotic that can be consumed and used as a topical.
    Other HERBS are goldenseal, garlic, Echinacea and I think my grandmother said something about kelp, but I don't think that does most of us much good.
    If you're looking for heavy duty antibiotics...I don't know that it's something that can be safely done.
    One cool thing about goldenseal is that it's a natural source of insulin...but I've never learned how to determine the AMOUNT that each plant produces...
    My mother started growing it in her garden years ago when my father was diagnosed with diabetes, but she has never had to use it for that purpose.
    I'll have to ask her about it now that you've brought it up...as the more I look into it...the more I want it in MY herb garden.
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Banned

Speaking of Honey, you may be interested in reading about this. It is called MediHoney. It is a 2x2" patch of medical honey. My Dr gave me 4 boxes of 10 each in case my feet infect while I am backwoodsman'ing it.

I was however more interested in internal dosed insulin by either injection or tab/capsul and internal anti-biotics like to treating septic or staff infections. The more powerful stuff like amoxicillian etc....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

We've had a couple of threads on this subject but it's always worth reviewing. There is just no reason to play around with something as important as insulin. Your doc obviously understands that you spend time in the back woods so it should not be a problem for him to set you up with something for longer term. I did the same with my doc and he provided a prescription of Cipro for infections and Vicodin for pain management.

While there may well be natural alternatives to the prescriptions you are now using they may or may not be suitable for your use and finding out they don't work in an already difficult situation would not be a good thing in my book. Just changing a drug that your body is accustomed to could cause you problems.

Here is some information that Adventure Doc posted in an earlier thread. You can find it in posts 9 and 13 at

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...7077#post17077

For the sake of brevity, I've copied only parts of it. You can view the entire discussion by clicking on the link above.

"...The use of antibiotics in a survival scenario is an important consideration. The length of time one must survive alone or in a remote environment, without definitive medical care, is key. Antibiotics would become a factor if one has an infection or an exposure that warrants antibiotics (animal bite, dirty wound, parasite, etc.).

I think carrying antibiotics in a survival kit is a prudent idea. Good broad spectrum antibiotics such as a quinolone (Cipro) for GI problems or something for skin wounds (clindamycin, cephalexin, etc) is a wise idea. I'd more consider it as a first aid kit item versus a survival kit item. I'd be more inclined to go with pain killers than antibiotics.

Cipro is ciprofloxacin, a flouroquinolone medication, available in the US only by prescription. I'd ask my family doc for a script of a few days course, tell him/her it was for a back-country survival kit and they should totally understand. I frequently write scripts for these types of meds for people to place in their travel health kits, for vacations.

I think neosporin is a fantastic cream and a lifesaver. There are a few other creams that I have in a larger health kit, including an OTC cortisone cream for itch/reactions/rashes and a OTC anti-fungal.

As for pain killers, I generally advise a combo of aspirin, motrin and something a bit "heftier". Aspirin has a double benefit of working well in chest pain scenarios, as a medicine for acute heart attack. Motrin is a great pain reliever (analgesic) and a fantastic anti-inflammatory agent. It is one of my mainstays. A low-grade narcotic is another consideration, for injuries such as broken legs, limbs, etc. A few (4) Vicodin (tylenol and codine) are also in my kit. Just enough to take the edge off, for about 12-24 hours. It makes waiting for help a little easier.

Of course, I feel that if anybody carries a medicine, they need to know when to use it and when not to. For example, don't give aspirin to children for fear of Reye's syndrome. I guess it all comes back to being as familiar and proficient with your gear as you possibly can be. It doesn't matter what the item is: antibiotic, compass, shelter, fire starting eqpt, when you need to use one of these items, it is not the right time to learn how to use it.

As for allergy problems, antihistamines are the ticket. Providing there is not a life threatening allergic reaction (anaphylaxis)..."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Honey in and of it's self is medicinal. It may be cheaper for you if things change...to simply put honey ON your foot and cover it with a bandage. It will work just as well.

Goldenseal will treat staff...and as for injectable or pill form you will need to learn how to do these procedures. Not many herbs can be eaten off the plant and do their job. Most have to be processed in different ways to make them more potent. Some can be dried and put into capsules, boiled into a tea, smooshed into a salve...but it depends on what part of the herb you are after...and that is an art in and of it's self.

I would look and see if your area has a local herb shop. I know we have some out here, and they give classes on the proper way to process herbs. It's not as easy as a quick post. Unfortunately it's very detailed and requires a certain amount of "chemistry".
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Banned

Rick, that was a great answer, exactly what I was looking for as for info and direction. I take lantis, long acting insulin 14 units each night. It needs to stay refrigerated for the most part, never frozen and below 92degrees direct or indirect heat. I use the X300 fine needle in a pen injector. They are portable, but environmentally, not easy to keep on camping/hiking trips in all 4 seasons.

I was looking for a SHTF way of making what I need at the cabin (most likely place I would be staying in a SHTF scene).

I have Cipro, expire dates seem to be very short lived. Dr does keep an open script for me, just a hassle to keep it roatated out. I keep a base medical kit at the cabin with the more powerful drugs I would use. Instead of Vics, I use T3's, I am a lightweight when it comes to narcotics. I use the neosporin packets, good stuff, actually saved me one time.

I teach my Dr woodscraft and some survival tactics and he keeps me in meds like the medihoney patches, pain killers and the Cipro...... did not pay a dime for them. He told me NOT to use any processed honey and to use RAW honey ONLY and bandages if needed it when out of the medihoney patches. I keep benedril for anti-histimine treatments.

He also gave me a real nice backwoods Tea Tree oil/amonia soap for taking care of rashes and such on the skin surface and hair/scalp issues, the concentrait is high enough to be script only.

I was just wondering if it was possible for a SHTF manufacture of insulin/anti-biotics......talking years after the balloon goes up, not days and months.

Although, the thing that will kill me for sure is not having availability of dialysis. I go 3 times a week for 4 hour sessions, still waiting for a transplant... teams say about 2 1/2 more years. I have often thought of grabbing a used machine and some 5 time use dialyzers by the case full as I would have no way to wash them. I could just keep the machine up at the cabin and keep the acid, and other maintenance fluids on hand, easy enough to get or go to PD and keep those supplies on hand. Would need a good supply of fistula needles.

I have more things wrong with me then a Jamaican Bobsledder.... most of it caused by wounds I rec in 1991in D-Storm and everything just escalated and steam rolled from there.

Have you talked to your doc about oral insulin? I know that's for Type 2 diabetes but ask your doc about Onglyza. Also, for SHTF is it possible to crush and inject the oral? You might also want/need to invest in a small portable electric cooler (12v or battery) to store your insulin. Just some thoughts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Yes Rick, onglyza not good due to kidneys. He has a standing order for me of Glypazide and Gluchaphage. I have type II, known and treated for 7 years now.

I have a small solar + small wind system up at the cabin with a battery bank, 2000 watts only inverted to 110v. My GF's hair dryer is 2400 watt, I told her she cannot bring it along, she said "Just shoot me," LOLOLOL

Like I said, was just wondering if the SHTF making my own was possible for either of the drugs or do I just eat a bullet at day 240 (about how long current supply will last after dooms day) and call it a day ;-(
    Last edited by OhioGrizzLapp; 02-08-2011 at 08:13 PM.

Banned

Trabitha, I will certainly look into the herb shops around here, I know we have a few.

Here is something to talk to your doc about,OGL,certainly don;t want to jump into it without seeking his advice,but I do know it works in some people and not others,depending on the type of diabetes you have,and the other meds you currently take.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/cinnamon-a...s-for-diabetes
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I don't think there is a way to make "bushcraft" insulin and even if there were I wouldn't inject it under your skin. I might suspect that in a catabolic, calorie and carb restricted situation many type II diabetics could do alright on an insulin sensitizer like glucophage for a period. Some type IIs experience DKA at some point in their disease and if that is you then you not having insulin around is dangerous.

Garlic and onions lower blood sugar levels.

Well I'm diabetic, type 1. When I go camping in summer I usually dig a hole, make a wooden donstruction and store insulin in waterproof plastic bag. I recently bought Insulin Cooling Wallet that I haven't tested yet. In winter it's not so big issue, just keep insulin from freezing and it'll be ok.

When i found out i got diabetes type 1 last year i tougth my scouting/bushcraft and climbing career ended but i managed to get in shape of my life and it gave me more will power to prove that person with diabetes can do all of those things and more. I'm on insulin pump from august and i must say it's way better than making shots 5 or 6 times per day.

So those are my experiences i hope i helped!

Reguards
    Kristjan

Banned

I do the spoon of raw cinnamon a day already and it truly does help. I eat enough garlic in almost everything to ward off most things to include weregerbils (very intimidating creature at the very least). My type II and kidney failure are a result of mechanical injuries to my pancreas and kidneys when I was wounded in D-Storm. The second I started to take insulin I puffed up like the Michelin tire man and have stayed that way since.

The prob is not being able to keep the insulin cool, it is running OUT in a long term SHTF scenario. If I cannot make it and nobody else is making it that I can barter for, then my survival mortality is set in stone. That mortality is about 280 to 365 days.

I have read some things about making amilin from lambs but there is NO detailed procedures to do so. I have actually wrote the American Diabetes association and have received a few letters for contacts to drug companies. None of those companies have responded to my letters.

I doubt you will encounter such a calamity and if, by chance, it does happen then a very goodly number of us will be in the same boat. Namely, dead. I have no misgivings that any TEOTWAWKI event will see me making it through. If I do (shrug) then I guess I'm money ahead. If I don't then I've wasted some money on supplies. If I do happen to make it through I have dibs on Lindsay Lohan. That girl needs to be straightened out and I think I can get the job done.

Banned

Rick :SMH, there are two things in this world I am scared of.... rattle snakes and blondes with the right to vote, you can have Lindsy, I am shooting for Lucy Lawless.....if nothing else, just hearing that Xena yodel once in awhile will keep me alive and well .... plus I am sure with her jungle knowedge, she can make insulin and smelt the steel for the needles.....It is a sick world and I am a happy guy

I would confirm it from the shops near my house and notify you.

I seem to recall that Sundews have some antibiotic properties/qualities.... However I am going from something I read long ago....
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Here in the desert, creosote bush makes a fairly effective topical antibiotic, and prickly pear cactus has been used in traditional medicine to regulate blood sugar.

Sweet gum trees have natural antibiotic properties and the leaves can be chewed!

Banned

Sigma, I was more interested in hardcore IV/Pill form/Injectable anti biotics made in the bush, the stuff that would kill staff and septic conditions or counter a bio/chem attack.... something on the level of Cipro etc... but field expedient. I am pretty well versed in topical and light oral AB's, jusat not the hard core stuff.

Nice to meet you by the way... head on over to the intro section and tell us about yourself.......good screen name by the way.