Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not Enough Ammo to Hunt

The Keweenaw Peninsula of upper Michigan, about the middle of the south shore of Lake Superior

AS others have posted, it depends on what I am hunting and what type of firearm I am using. For deer I hunt with a bolt action and besides what the magazine holds, I carry an ammo wallet that holds about nine rounds. For rabbits and tree rats, a 10/22 with two or three 10 rd clips and probably a 50 rd box tucked somewhere on my person. With a shotgun and I hunt with an over /under, as many as the vest will hold, usually 25 rds. Waterfowl, usually several boxes(3-4). If I am hunting with a single shot firearm, depends on whether it is a rifle or shotgun. For a rifle, usually an ammo wallets ammount. For a ss shotgun, I have, in the past, carried a shell belt with a variety of different shot sizes, including buck shot and slugs. (That was my truck gun) . Handguns are similar. Generally enough to reload two or three times

I have not been hunting in several years, but when I was younger, I normally hunted with about 6 rounds with me. I carried a pump shotgun (870) and did a lot of walking. I'd have a slug and 2 rounds of 00 buck in the gun, hoping to scare up a deer, but would carry about 3 rounds of 6 or 8 shot, to get a few squirrels when I gave up on the deer. LOL
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

Used to carry the SS H&R slug gun for the reason of grouse and deer.

Would carry it broke open, w a #6 shot in the chamber, if I did see a grouse, you could close it, pull back the hammer and let fly....
    f you saw a deer, you had to quietly slid out the shot shell, insert the slug.

Didn't work for crap....always had the wrong shell in the gun......LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I usually hunt with a 12ga and have a belt pouch that holds ten rounds. I keep the rest of the box back at the car. If it is a good day, I can go back for more.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

No, they don't run forever with heart or lung hits, but they can and do run up to 100 yds. twice that if you only hit one lung. If you are going to hit them behind the ear with each shot, a 223 works just fine.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by hepit View Post
    No, they don't run forever with heart or lung hits, but they can and do run up to 100 yds. twice that if you only hit one lung. If you are going to hit them behind the ear with each shot, a 223 works just fine.
    Are we talking rabbits, deer, white rino, or are we still on the Griz?

Do they know these are the rules?

Who measures the distances for them? How do they know when they have gone their perscribed and allowable escape distance? Do they use a tape measure or one of those rangefinders like the golf guys?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If going for deer....I'll have 3 in the gun (308), and I have a little pocket case that is water proof and holds 5 more rounds.

Turkey....loaded gun (12ga) and I have a 12 rd rig that will fit into my jacket pocket.

Rabbit or squirrel....20 rds in magazines.(22lr)

It really depends on mood.....cause if I don't see anything within a hour or two....I'll get board and start plinking....because I generally hunt on my range....so a lot of the time I'll have 20 to 100 rds on my person.

As far as hunting with a .223 or 5.56....I know for a fact that a deer will fall if you pop it in the melon with either.....I wouldn't go to far with the range...but have no issues within 150 yards or so.

I may be a little nuts....but where I hunt...I know the ranges within 10 yards....and have practiced ranging so that I can usually get DTT within reason, with most the guns I own. I prefer head shots....as not to spoil any of the meat.

Deer....With my .308....I have no issues with a head shot at 150 yards....I practice at 200 with 3" disc.

In my AO....that's a long shot...to many hills....but if I were going for much further....I'd shoot heart and lungs just to keep down the possibility of wounding without killing.

Can you hunt a white rhino in a blizzard?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Never tried that, but I was once accused of not being able to track a wounded elephant in a snowstorm!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Yes...however, hunting white polyesters in a blizzard is not recommended.
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

And never use .9mm or try to shoot them in the head.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I fill the weapons magazine. 5 rounds in the 45-70, 4 in the ex-.243, 30 in the ar.
    Oh yeah, I don't hunt with the AR.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.