Thread: Something new.....

Default Something new.....

tree fungus.jpgtree fungus ii.jpgI went hunting the other day and came across this fungus on a fallen tree. I thought it looked kinda neat, reminded me of a snowflake when they are enlarged. Does anyone know what it is?
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

looks like coral fungi or maybe shaggy mane, both edible but if you had a side pic id know for sure. coral they say tastes like crab meat.

Tis the season, Hericium coralloides or Hericium ramosum.

Almost certainly a Hericium, which one is a bit hard to tell from the photos.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Man, I wish I knew that they were eatible! There were so many, I could have had those instead of the squirrell I didn't get.

As a gourmet cook (not "chef", mind you) I like mushrooms - but in a survival situation, people who don't like them aren't missing much. They're dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (although the corals, morels, and chanterelles are generally pretty easy for identification) and other than B vitamins and a few minerals, you're not getting much in the way of nutrients from them.

Good to know, Wolf. Is there any mushroom that is not safe to eat that could resemble the Hericium?

Intothenew is right definitely a hericium. Most likely a comb tooth. There is no dangerous fungus that resembles it. fried with butter it resembles crab meat (to me), and makes an exceptional cream cheese dip. Just cook up the mushies, mix with cream cheese, garlic salt, and lemon juice. Cut it with milk to get desired consistancy.

Although mushrooms may not have alot of nutritional value they are certainly something that can add a little lift to that same old crap you have been eating. Sometimes a slight addition to a food that will make it taste better is a real God send.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    As a gourmet cook (not "chef", mind you) I like mushrooms - but in a survival situation, people who don't like them aren't missing much. They're dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (although the corals, morels, and chanterelles are generally pretty easy for identification) and other than B vitamins and a few minerals, you're not getting much in the way of nutrients from them.
    There are few resources available to us in the wild as nutritious and convenient as the mushroom. I'm not sure where you recieved that information about minerals and b vitamins but what about protein? The Velvet Foot that grows in my back "yard" has around 30% protein (dry weight). Thats nearly as much as a T-bone. And it is WAY easier to process than one. Mushrooms are abundant for most of the year and only require picking and cooking. Few wild foods can boast this. Corals, morels, and chanterelles are some of the easier mushrooms to confuse with a poisonous mushroom if you don't know what you are doing. Species such as the hericium are far easier to ID. And there are many many more mushrooms that are good to eat and don't look like anything that can harm you. Of course you don't want to live on mushrooms alone. A varied diet is best. But it is silly to not bother to learn mushrooms because of nutrition. There's plenty in there. I'm not trying to pick on you. This misinformation is rampant in the survivalist literature, but is not being passed on by a knowledgeable mushroomer. There are plants out there that will kill you much faster and more efficiently than any mushroom. If you don't know a mushroom, don't eat it. But nothing should prevent you from learning mushrooms now, when you have every resource available to learn.

Thanks M-Mark!

Well, I'm definitely not a knowledgeable mushroomer, so thanks for the information. Where I am, though, has so much to eat that I have no problem identifying, that I really don't have to know more - I look around just because I'm interested, and I do like to cook with mushrooms. I guess, if I moved somewhere else, I might have to start looking for other sources of food.

Most of my information comes from pharmacy school, what I've picked up in Boy Scouts, and the wiki article on mushrooms.

I know of two for sure that are good to eat, and are local.
    Morels and puff balls (young).

DW always has me save a piece to show the EMT's what I ate, this time......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Well, I'm definitely not a knowledgeable mushroomer, so thanks for the information. Where I am, though, has so much to eat that I have no problem identifying, that I really don't have to know more - I look around just because I'm interested, and I do like to cook with mushrooms. I guess, if I moved somewhere else, I might have to start looking for other sources of food.

Most of my information comes from pharmacy school, what I've picked up in Boy Scouts, and the wiki article on mushrooms.
    The "knowledgeable mushroomer" comment was not directed at you WVZ. I find "info" like that in almost every survival book I have read. It has become some rampant that even government publications and military guides are full of false information. Sometimes I feel like a broken record when I talk to folks about mushrooms. Most of the time I keep my mouth shut. As I mentioned, it was not my intent to pick on you. It's not your fault. The stuff is everywhere. One of these days I plant to post a mushroom nutrition facts thread. That will just take a lot of typing..........

Best to you, MM

That really doesn't surprise me much. I find misinformation in some very surprising places. I do prefer experience, which is one reason I'm here. I'm not in contact with a lot of really experienced survivalists. My sources are rather weak. Pharmacists, for instance, regardless of how much they might like to think they know sometimes, would be a little outside their area of expertise when it comes to mushrooms and the Wiki - well, their best suit is that they post bibliographies that can be traced to primary sources. And Boy Scout leaders (I speak as one) often know way much more than they actually know (if you know what I mean).

What does puffballs taste like, anyway. They smell rather obnoxious.

WVZ- IMO puffballs don't have a lot of taste, but will pick up the flavor of whatever you are cooking it with, and add some "mushroomy" notes . I think some puffballs have a moderately good texture. The giant puffballs (and maybe some others) are used in treating bronchial disorders, chest colds, etc. I haven't tried this but seeing as I seem to have just come down with a wheezing cough and I happen to have some giant puffball dried in the pantry, I might as well give it a try. I'll let you know how it turns out. Puffball tea here we come......

all the puffballs i find seem to crumble in my hands ive never been able to eat one yet except for the giant one i found like baseball size it didnt crumble but it got thrown out on me.