Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Treatment of Sleep Apnea in wilderness/ off grid (& for the poor/uninsured)

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    Why not stash a $6 NPA in your bag in case your forced to take off?
    I travel with a CPAP regularly. It will run off either AC, or 12 volt DC, or even a battery. Why would I bug out with something different than what I use for travel all the time?

If you guys would like toi try something alternative for apnea (and it might take a couple days to work). Take a Turmeric EXTRACT capsule with lunch and dinner and when you wake up in the morning take a serrapeptase capsule on an empty stocmach and wait 1 hr before eating.

CPAP is the most effective treatment, but another treatment is a dental appliance which positions your palate so it doesn't block the airway. Wearing it is somewhat similar to wearing a retainer for those of you who have had orthodonture. The dental appliance can be used in conjunction with CPAP or seperately. I seem to do best with both but do okay with either one. I suggest you talk to your dentist about a dental appliance. You might get an improvement over CPAP alone with it and it will definitely give you some help if the power goes out.

I too have sleep apnea and most of the machines only require4 to 6 volts to operate, even tough plugged into 110v outlet, I have a cigar lighter (12V) plug for mine and it will work for
    at least 2 nights on a 12v battery before needing recharging. I have my gell cell battery hooked to a solar charger that I set-up in camp to keep the batt charged and have used it like that for
    extended camping trips.
    Life member NRA
    Life member Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Live member A.F.& A.M. (Masonic Lodge)
    Big Bore Air Rifle Shooter

In regards to off grid , a hunter came into camp with acpap machine that operated off a solar panel..The weight was real reasonable ( I loaded it on the Mule )and it seemed to work fine for him...
    The Man with the best Horses and Dogs is the Man who uses them the Most !.....Wiley Carroll..........

That sounds interesting. What sort of solar panel, charging set up, etc. did he use?

My unit is a Respironics REMstar Auto. I like this unit because it is one of the smaller and lighter units. For home use the main unit consists of 2 components, a large AC to DC adapter and the Main CPAP unit. All CPAP units run on DC but some of them have the adapter built into the main unit. Try to avoid getting one of those units if possible. Knowing that this was a DC powered unit, I turned it over to see just exactly how much DC power it needed to run. The sticker on the bottom reads 12v@5.0A. I then went to the Respironics web site to see what accessories were available for this unit. Fortunately Respironics had a ready-made power cord to plug directly into a cigarette lighter jack. It also came with an adaptor with a cigarette lighter to alligator clip adaptor. I was able to run my unit for a full 2 weeks on a single marine battery. My OTG power setup consists of 4 marine batteries and 8 15 watt solar panels so I am covered at home.

For my GHB I have one of those dental positioning mouthpieces, a chin strap antihistamines and a snore stop throat spray. Also sleeping with your head elevated or sitting will reduce the effects of sleep apnea.

I have horrible sleep apnea...I have for my whole life it seems.

My cure? Sleep on my stomach.

I never snore on my stomach, I never choke according to my wife. What this means for me in the bush is that hammocks are pretty much out. I "might" try sleeping on my side in one someday, but I'm a pretty big advocate of a stiff mattress and sleeping in the prone!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mysurvivalspot?feature=mhee
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

most people who have apnea need to lose 50 lbs or more. If you are 6 ft tall, it is most unlikely that you are muscled enough to be weighing over 175 lbs. :-)

Do you personally know most people with sleep apnea? Just curious.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    most people who have apnea need to lose 50 lbs or more. If you are 6 ft tall, it is most unlikely that you are muscled enough to be weighing over 175 lbs. :-)
    you must know a lot of skinny tall people, I'm considered under weight and I am 6'2 197 pounds. Both the nutritionist I visit and a trainer said I need to boost my weight up to 220 for my frame.
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

your nutritionist is ignorant or lying to you. Unless you do nothing but workout for years, or use steroids, if you're 6 2 and 197, you're 25% bodyfat (or more) and 12% is all that's healthy, for males. Almost all height gain is in the femur. A 1" thick slice across both legs is less than 4 lbs.

When posting "facts" it's often helpful to also post sources. That way everyone has the opportunity to learn. In this case, you've failed to consider frame size in your calculations. If Dave is large framed then his 197 is considered ideal. However, since both the nutritionist and his trainer have actually met him it seems they might have a leg up on his physical needs.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/heightweightchart.htm
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by senna View Post
    Senna, you are a troll to beat all trolls. I have read about half a dozen of your posts now, and every single one of them has been either smart-assed, sarcastic, or uninformed. I'd love to meet you in person someday.

Just for the record, I'm 6'2-3" and 255 in this picture. Still think I don't have enough muscle to be over 175 you stupid (insert four letter word here)?

photo.jpg

This picture was taken today. And yes it's me...just check out my signature if you need more proof than that. You are the biggest waste of bandwidth on this entire forum.
    Last edited by chinookpilot77; 07-27-2013 at 09:41 AM.
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

haha, I posted this and then saw he was banned. Way to go admins!
    www.mysurvivalspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by chinookpilot77 View Post
    haha, I posted this and then saw he was banned. Way to go admins!
    Glad my suspicions were confirmed. Something was "off" about this guy and sometimes you feel it before you know it. I love how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Glad my suspicions were confirmed. Something was "off" about this guy and sometimes you feel it before you know it. I love how that works.
    All I can say to that is "Yep!"
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

why you don't try surgery
    ******oopsy. link removed. that are commonly conducted in people who have obstructive sleep apnea. In surgery, the doctor will remove any part that can obstruct the airway. The tonsils, uvula or soft palate are common parts that are removed.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 11-05-2018 at 07:17 AM.

Ok, after reading and checking out all the links that are still working links I must say Thanks Y'all. I have found this interesting. I am a bad snorer. Hubby puts up with a lot from me, everynight on any side, and I still snore. Yes, I need to lose weight, will I? probably not. When I was thin, I still snored. Didn't make a difference.
    But I liked the post about the Didgeridoo and Learning to play will help strengthen the muscles. I also like the NPA too. I don't know if I can put one up my nose, but I would try, as it would seem a lot less intrusive than those CPAP machines that all the drs are prescribing.
    Thanks again for the information.

For years, #1 wife tried to get me to go do a sleep study. I hardheadedly refused. After all, my grandfather snored like a freight train, had sleep apnea, and I'm just like him, body type and all, same disposition and everything. I'm just like him and he lived to be 63....... uh ................... Okay, where is that sleep study place anyway.

First night, horrible, swore I wasn't going back. Four days later, i figured I was halfway so I went back. The hooked me up to the wires and set up the machine. I slept for 10 hours, woke up, looked at the clock and slept for two more hours. In the last 6 years I've had 7 nights without the CPAP machine. I have not been camping where there is no electricity either.

I've been looking at the head mounted types and solar rechargers. Looks to run about $850. I've spent a lot more than that on other stuff and had a lot less to show for it.

Alan