Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When was the last time you humped a heavy load.....if ever....???

Put on a silk liner sock, or even a poly/nylon dress sock between your foot and your outer hiking sock. This will take the friction off your heel and put it on the inner sock. Always carry moleskin and duct tape to put over a hot spot BEFORE it turns into something else. Tie your boots tightly, so there is little movement of the foot inside the boot. Air out your feet without socks as much as you can during rest breaks to give them a chance to dry out. Wet skin sloughs off easily under friction (Just like being in the water, once your skin starts getting wrinkly and soft, you can easily tear it by rubbing it on any surface.). Foot powder is your best friend. LOL
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    It's called aging! Next thing you know you'll be dead.....whoda thunk!
    like that right to the point my friend!!

I have in the past carried many heavy packs both in the military and backwoods hiking although I admit it has been a few years since I have done it the key to it as I remember is to find a steady pace rest for about 10 minutes for every 50 minutes of walking and check your feet at every every stop, this seems to work best for me anyway, if you feet get bad you wont walk out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll be a tipacanoe's uncle! Rick's channeling me.
    My work is done here.

You actually channeled a deceased post. You're goooooood.

For all those that will be totally confused by this thread....several posts were deleted because the first one was in the wrong thread. One of the posts B quoted is one of those deleted posts. You can all mosey along now. Nothing else to see.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

hoo boy, sorry Rick.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea I've since figured out what happened and how to prevent it. I normally DO use thin silk dress socks under my thick hiking or mushing socks now and it makes a world of difference.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Last time.. 24 hours ago. Went stealth camping. I cound NOT fall asleep, got board then home sick.. Humped back out without using a flashlight and went home at 1am. Pack was about 30 pounds.

Before that, 1 week ago... pack was about 30 pounds then too.. hiked up the AT for 3 miles, pitched camp and came back the next morning. Sore and tired but at least I didnt die doing it!

Im 45 years old.

Andrew

BSA Leave No Trace program....7 miles.....about 30#...2 years ago.

35# Barrett M82 to opposite end of range.....yikes.

Average hike pack is about 15 to 20#s.

What does the OP consider a heavy load? To me it would be anything over 75 pounds, and it's been a while.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by ElevenBravo View Post
    Last time.. 24 hours ago. Went stealth camping. I cound NOT fall asleep, got board then home sick.. Humped back out without using a flashlight and went home at 1am. Pack was about 30 pounds.

Before that, 1 week ago... pack was about 30 pounds then too.. hiked up the AT for 3 miles, pitched camp and came back the next morning. Sore and tired but at least I didnt die doing it!

Im 45 years old.

Andrew
    11B I don't think you have been properly instructed on camping procedure.

1. You go camping to get away from home. You do it on purpose.

2. If you can't go to sleep you build a campfire near a tree, feed it sticks one at a time, lean against the tree and watch the stars circle the heavens. When they are about half way around the circle you will konk out.

3. If you can hump the load in, set up camp, get bored, break camp and get back home by 1am you are not going far enough into the woods!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    At 16, I did a 50 mile backpack with my scout troop. I didn't go under 65. We kept taking stuff from our old leaders so they would walk faster. In the military, I carried some heavy stuff, but it was only from the tent to the truck, or a few times, less than mile. Even in training we didn't go over 50. I wasn't infantry. As a dad, I have had two kids on my back, each around 30 lbs, so I know what 60 lbs feels like with one in a backpack, and another on your shoulders (not comfortable). This coming weekend, I am taking 4 of my kids backpacking. Two of them will only be carrying a small bag with a few snack, water, whistle, etc. The other two will carry their sleeping bags and clothes only. I will have to carry everything else. I will be sure to weigh the pack before I leave.
    Forgot to update on my last time, since it came after I posted this. Here is the thread where I describe the trip.
    http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ly-Backpacking

And here are pictures of the pack.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I did forget to weigh it. But I did weigh the food bag, and it came out to 15 pounds. With everything else, I am thinking it was a little over 70. It could have been in the 60's, and I am just a wuss though.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    What does the OP consider a heavy load? To me it would be anything over 75 pounds, and it's been a while.
    Yes, I would agree that that is the floor for heavy. A 1/4 of moose will go about 130# and a un-fleshed brown bear hide will go up tp 200#

For me, a proper fitting backpack is second only to proper fitting boots.
    Last edited by sjj; 10-01-2012 at 04:47 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sjj View Post
    For me, a proper fitting backpack is second only to proper fitting boots. The distribution of weight is critically important including the prevention of injury. When selecting boots to be used for backpacking consider the additional support needed. Some folks may find that if they include their current body weight, they are trying to pack more now than when they were much younger. Looking at the long term picture, one may find that folks who pack more moderate loads during their lifetime will have fewer back/joint problems as they age. If you need to pack 200 pounds, you can use a mule - or be a mule - and there will be a price to pay. Learned through personal mistakes and observations.
    I agree..........But in the guiding business we are required by law to pack out eatable meat. Your friend Mr.Webber and I packed a large moose out 8 miles.

understood
    Last edited by sjj; 10-01-2012 at 04:45 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Why don't you tell them about sheep hunting and how you field modify your boots.

To be continued...
    Last edited by sjj; 09-30-2012 at 12:09 AM.

I do solemnly swear to tell the whole truth. I, personally, have read the article of the sheep hunt. Some men are better than me. Some men on this forum put Cody to shame when it comes to barefoot walking.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.