Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time you humped a heavy load.....if ever....???

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default When was the last time you humped a heavy load.....if ever....???

I sadly have to confess that I was very disappointed in my ability to easily pack in the (full) 120MM ammo cans. Even using my best heavy load pack, I was not as sure'footed as I expected.

Well theres the time I ate a whole pan of .........Oh!, humped! Never mind!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

You kinda touched on something I have been noticing as well,...... balance and sure foot-ness.

Typical load used to be about 40 pounds as a pack, more like 25 these days.....could carry the 85 pound 17 ft canoe over head, long and bulky, but pretty easy on a portage. Now it seems like I have a tough time walking in the brush with out catching on stuff, been using a stick for a while now.

I don't know if it's balance, eye sight, stuff isn't where it appears to be, strength, or what?
    Maybe a caseof 'Usta could"?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

It's called aging! Next thing you know you'll be dead.....whoda thunk!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

What do you consider heavy? In service, you are always doing 70-90 pound packs, plus your worn gear. My last big 3 week hike was two years ago in the fall, my pack weighed in at just shy of 74 pounds with water. Of course, I was humping stuff like a 3 man tent, cooking gear and food for myself and my son. His pack was only around 38 lbs. He was 14, and I heard about every pound for every step of that three weeks. I seriously asked him several times if he wanted to walk a mile down the trail with my pack and he declined every time. LOL.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

In the Army I did take note of the fact that only about 15 pounds of the stuff I was carrying was actually MINE. The other 60 pounds was mission specific.

My pack weight for a week long leg on the AT was only 35-38 pounds, food, shelter, bedding and clothing, and I was living well.

In my area I do not have an inaccessable "wilderness" to tote anything into one trip at a time. My favorite transport frame is made from pressed steel and has a ford truck bolted on top of it.

I solidly believe that if you drove half way in and have to pack the other half way you should have driven in from the other direction!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have decided to pull the empty 55 Gallon drums into the wilderness with my small sled.

Last big load, not in wilderness, but was a 350lb 55" LCD TV up to my 3rd floor apartment.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    Last big load, not in wilderness, but was a 350lb 55" LCD TV up to my 3rd floor apartment.
    I am truely impressed.

40lbs. was my last heavy pack in April(?) The older I get the less I want to carry let alone can carry. 25-30 is a good pack. More than that is just too much junk.

I don't think you should feel bad about the cans at all. It's just a fact that we aren't 20 any more. That's why God made sleds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I've humped a lot of heavy loads but I've noticed the older I get the heavier a pound gets, by now it's up to 20 ounces to the pound. I find a yoke helps with a balanced load and of course that means a decent trail. I like winter for the snow, the snow is a plus rather than a detriment especially for sleds. On the plus side the snow generally keeps the tourists away. I've not weighed it but a pack basket full of traps can be very heavy.

Never really had to carry a big load anywhere. I always just took enough. But i'm not old enough for the army (although I do not plan to join) and have never been backpacking (although i'd love to go I think). So, guess, I have not sadly. Time for a new experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    40lbs. was my last heavy pack in April(?) The older I get the less I want to carry let alone can carry. 25-30 is a good pack. More than that is just too much junk.

I don't think you should feel bad about the cans at all. It's just a fact that we aren't 20 any more. That's why God made sleds.
    im still 23 years old, whatchu talkin bout Rickus :P

Quote Originally Posted by SD
    I sadly have to confess that I was very disappointed in my ability to easily pack in the (full) 120MM ammo cans......I have decided to pull the empty 55 Gallon drums into the wilderness with my small sled.

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout, Willis.

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

haha, gotcha

ugh, I used to carry 90lbs bundles of roofing up a ladder no problem. I'm really hoping after my medical issues are resolved I can get back to it. I carried a petite girl on my back all the way across my college campus and up 3 flights of stairs as well. Can't do that anymore. Hell, I can't even pick up women in general (yes, its a joke)...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    im still 23 years old, whatchu talkin bout Rickus :P
    These are YOUR good old days, time to get out and make some memories, cause it goes fast, man, it goes fast.

I have alot of memories for sure. but plenty more waiting out there

Just saying..........

i know what you meant, and its true, it does go fast. sorry I worded it wrong, my bad hunter