Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilderness cure for foot rot

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    Walking barefoot as much as you can prevents a lot of these issues and helps heal many of these conditions.
    I'm sure their will not be many takers here but...

I have found that going bare footed is WAY better than wearing modern footwear, weather permitting. Benefits:
    1. Makes you slow down a bit- this is good in the woods for awareness/observation & this is GREAT for those in the TAL* as we Americans in generally live way to fast
    2. It's FAR MORE gentler on your body. As the soles of your feet toughen and callouse you slowly get past the whole "watch your step.watch your step.watch your step" mantra and you naturally get into a walking position and gait that is quite springy & fluid- far easier on the joints than the standard TAL* gait.

When I do wear shoes I tend to fall back into the TAL gait and I can (now) feel the banging in my ankles, knee's and hip joints........

* T ypical
    A merican
    L ifestyle
    Last edited by TresMon; 07-20-2012 at 05:25 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

I can't imagine dipping my tootsie toes in vinegar or lemon juice with red, swollen and cracked skin.

"The most powerful liquid in the world is Holy Water. Sprinkle a couple of drops on a pregnant woman's tummy and she'll pass a baby boy."
    "Nu uh. Turpentine is. Sprinkle a couple of drops of turpentine on a cat's azz and he'll pass a motorcycle."
    "I got you both beat. Ever tried vinegar on athlete's foot"?
    In unison..."Ooooh. you win."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

As I do get a bout of gout from time to time, it does seem that any injury to the foot is where it wants to set up shop, this time.

Close as I get to bare feet these days are hide moc's, but not too good on sneaking up on thing with all the ..."oo,ow, ah, oo, ow,heck darn, phooey, oh shucky darn...oo ow.
    You get the picture.
    glad to hear you are on the mend.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm going to catch heck for this but I heard that the uric acid in urine toughens up the skin on the feet. Don't know if it a for real fact so experiment at your own risk.

I've actually done that a time or two. Of course, beer was involved.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    I'm sure their will not be many takers here but...

I have found that going bare footed is WAY better than wearing modern footwear, weather permitting. Benefits:
    1. Makes you slow down a bit- this is good in the woods for awareness/observation & this is GREAT for those in the TAL* as we Americans in generally live way to fast
    2. It's FAR MORE gentler on your body. As the soles of your feet toughen and callouse you slowly get past the whole "watch your step.watch your step.watch your step" mantra and you naturally get into a walking position and gait that is quite springy & fluid- far easier on the joints than the standard TAL* gait.

When I do wear shoes I tend to fall back into the TAL gait and I can (now) feel the banging in my ankles, knee's and hip joints........

* T ypical
    A merican
    L ifestyle
    Yeah, that's true. A friend of mine just wrote a book about barefoot walking and the physician, soccer trainers and chiropractors she interviewed for it all said that it really helps with posture problems, knee, hip and tendon issues. Just about all shoes have a built up heel which pushes the pelvis forward, which in turn makes ou curve your spine to counterbalance.
    I find walking without shoes impractical out here in the bush, though - we have so many wild roses growing everywhere that I just end up with a thorn collection in my feet. And I find I need to concentrate too much on where to step, while I should be paying attention to 50 yards ahead to find a route, plus be checking for animal sign and keeping an eye on my dogs. Ultra simple moccasins (just soft leather, no extra sole) might be a good compromise.
    Actions speak louder than words

After reading the book "Born to Run", I have changed my footware to (e.g.Saucany Hittori Minimalist) minimal. Not quite ready for barefoot running (I'm a sissy), this is the next best thing. A couple of my friends are ultra (50+miles), barefoot runners and their foot injury has been kept to a minimum (surprise of all surprises!) while their time has actually improved.

I highly recommend this book even if you're not a runner. It's factual, empowering and it speaks to the bare, natural survivor and runner in us all.

I'm not scared of P. I have used it for a skin warsh in the past. I have used it to rid me of Poison Ivy and I always used to P on me feet in the shar when I was working out at the gym twice a day and didn't know who had tracked in what on their bare feet
    ---------------------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Tres
    Website has been updated for 2012!! http://wildernessmeans.com/

NOTE: I'm a machinist, gunsmith, writer, and instructor of many outdoor topics looking for gainful employment in any geographical cool place to live. Resumes posted on website.

John 14:6
    Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by TresMon View Post
    I'm not scared of P. I have used it for a skin warsh in the past. I have used it to rid me of Poison Ivy and I always used to P on me feet in the shar when I was working out at the gym twice a day and didn't know who had tracked in what on their bare feet
    As long as you're not drinking it you should be okay!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

First and only time I used P was when I was 9 yrs. old. I got some ink on my white shirt and remembered reading how P could get it out. I tried it and it worked like a charm.

It works great on jelly fish stings, but don't confuse p&jf with pb&j....just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yep, Tesmon a Wild Woman are correct sirs! Fact is if you didn't wear 'em you wouldn't need em! Climate pemiting of course. Actually same goes for clothing!!!!! If your skins exposed regularly to the sun you don't need sun sceen!

Now back to origanal post. I'm going to do something I don't do very often here.....you get some rep!!!!!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Wild Womens way over do for some rep too! For everything I've ever seen her post! And she is without a doubt the coolest women I ever read......LOL!

I been meaning to ask you Wild Women you got a twin about 50ish.......LOL!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I been meaning to ask you Wild Women you got a twin about 50ish.......LOL!
    Not that I know...and it's probably better that way.

Quote Originally Posted by wildWoman View Post
    Not that I know...and it's probably better that way.
    Thats the first thing I've seen you post that dosn't make any sense at all!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Oh, but it does! The world can only take so many boneheaded, cantankerous women. Think Sourdough, the female version with treehugger genes thrown in - it ain't pretty

I prefer loose fit jeans. I've never seen the tree hugger kind. I have seen the hip hugger kind, if that's similar. Oh, yeah, I've seen a lot of falling off their azz jeans, too. Every time I see a pair of jeans riding south of the Mason Dixon line I'm thinkin' wedgie.