Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do "Loggers" not tie their shoes in the front.......?????

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Why do "Loggers" not tie their shoes in the front.......?????

Knowing this could be helpful when moving in the wilderness. And yes, I did just lace up my boots for a short hike (But not in the front). bonus question why do "Loggers" buy extra-long inseam trousers, and cut them off to get rid of the hem, and let them fray.

By having the knot on the one side of the boot and on the inside of their leg (right foot knot would be on the left side of the shoe and vice versa ) it keeps the knot from snagging on brush and such.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Good question, I don't have an answer from a specific source but in my experience in logging with my family I noticed all kinds of things can get in the knots. But that Bonus question I don't have the slightest idea on.

All the guy in the DNR fire crews , including MF tied their boots in the back or inside so as to not catch them on the brush.
    Cuffs just catch stuff, like sawdust, leaves, sticks ticks etc.....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yes, it is to midigate tripping, same reason for removing the sew-in hem.

I learned something new. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

And don't go chainsawing in Birkenstocks.
    Actions speak louder than words

I'm going to cut off my cuff's on my new suit.

Now now you know onl tree huggers wear burkenstocks. They would not be caught dead with a chainsaw and cutting down a tree.

Why not just tuck the ends of the bow in your boots? Tie your knot as usual then tuck the ends in. I've always done that so I don't have loops hanging out to catch on stuff. Tie them in the back then you stand the chance of getting tangled up when backing away from Bigfoot.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why not just tuck the ends of the bow in your boots? Tie your knot as usual then tuck the ends in. I've always done that so I don't have loops hanging out to catch on stuff. Tie them in the back then you stand the chance of getting tangled up when backing away from Bigfoot.

I do something similiar. I tie my boots in a regular fashion, then I fold the sock over the top of my boot tucking the laces into the sock roll. I wear taller boots and none of it is visible for the fashion people (my better half) to have a heart attack over.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Roger, Rick. Standard military procedure. I've heard that some of the Huey pilots in Nam had some way of lacing a piece of wire or something into their boots so it could be pulled out for emergency release in case their feet were trapped in a crash. Anyone know how that works?

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BornthatWay View Post
    Now now you know onl tree huggers wear burkenstocks. They would not be caught dead with a chainsaw and cutting down a tree.
    Tis not true. I'm a treehugger, but still cut 'em down. But not in Birkenstocks anymore.
    Actions speak louder than words

My reference was from guys that worked in the woods, as loggers and forest fire fighters....although there were several (most/all?) ex-military, they did tend to tie them in the back...I had asked them, as they were kinda my hero's when I was a young man.

As far as the cuffs and hems, I always though that these guys were young, tough, hard working, little crazy, and not married, .....back then most all pants came without a hem, and they didn't have anyone to hem them...?...LOL

Just wear the boots that have the velcro flap across the front and no laces

Velcro get really full of sawdust and leaves, and sticks, and do not stay closed any more.....trust me on this....... and do catch on certain plants that I'm sure have velcro them as well.......LOL

Besides, Velcro boots means no paracord for fish line, bow drill, hanging hammocks, building a shelter, scaling a mountain..........
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-19-2012 at 01:42 PM.

Yeah and I once heard that velcro shoes and boots were only for old people

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    Yeah and I once heard that velcro shoes and boots were only for old people
    Yup, geezer boots...used to wear than when I was younger.......still have a pair of running (LOL....running) shoes, that I cut out for the gout, kinda look like sandals now....

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It is called "stagging" the pants.

http://forestry.about.com/library/glossary/blloggsx.htm

Nesmuck recommended it for all woodsmen so the practice dates back at least to the 1880-1890 period.

In the frontier times the woodsmen wore "knee britches" and gaiters or leather leggins tucked into the tops of their Moccs and laced in place to accomplish the same thing. The flaps on the moccasins were tied up around the ankle in the woods. In snake country they wound strips of wool blanket material around their legs hoping the fangs would not penetrate.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?