Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homework assignment #1

Do it for yourself. That's really all that matters.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well yeah, but this gives me an excuse to go out and do it, motivation man, its what I need! :P but yah i made 4 35mm film canisters of PJ balls.(thanks Rick for the suggestion) So 20 PJ Balls, but i wont be using them for this, to easy.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Mmmm a PB&J does sound good... oh you said PJ... never mind...
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Well it has been raining or still wet from a rain everytime I had the time to go out and do this! And today it is so overcast there was no use in pulling out the magnifying glass. However seeing as how it has been over a year since I have started a fire with the magnesium flint striker so I figured with everything wet today was a good day to try. I used my magnesium flint striker made by coleman, and my Benchmade locking blade knife that I just got for my birthday last week. It was 83 degrees out with a slight wind. I made myself use only what I had in my backyard, as My 2 year old was running around and I didn't need to worry about her following me across the street. It took a few attempts and several stops and starts. I gathered my fuels, and a leaf from an ivy plant to catch the magnesium pieces since they go everywhere to pour into my old pinecone that I broke up to try to get to dryer tinder. I was surprised how dry the pine needles were on the ground even though it rained last night. I sat with my back to the wind and made sure to bend and twist the top level of the pinecone scales to create dust, and smaller pieces to catch fire. I also had several needles as a bed, and more ready to put on top of the pinecone once it started up. Since "it didn't happen if there are no pics"....
    IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0083.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg

A successful fire is a good fire. Nice job.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Now didn't that feel good?.....Nice job.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Great job! I don't mind confessing that I would have started a fire the same way! Using a magnifying lens only works when all of the conditions are right! The US Air Force includes the Mag Block Fire Starter in their Air Crew Survival Kits! If they think it's a good choice who am I to argue? You get an "A" for sure!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Juat a late heads up, don't stare at the coninstrated sun light, might burn your eyes......I had spots in front of mine.....
    Yeah I know, hard to focus and not look at it, but hey, just be aware.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

yeah, I learned that the hard way as a kid...never do that again. I remember burning decorations into an old walking stick as a kid for hours on end, so I was surprised how hard it has been just to wait for the right weather conditions to be able to start a fire with the magnifying glass. Trying to corrdinate free time and suntime has been difficult I have gotten some smolding like jhnnymwr75 did in his thread last month ( by the way congrats!) but no embers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Great job! I don't mind confessing that I would have started a fire the same way! Using a magnifying lens only works when all of the conditions are right! The US Air Force includes the Mag Block Fire Starter in their Air Crew Survival Kits! If they think it's a good choice who am I to argue? You get an "A" for sure!
    My favorite method too. Used be into the "one match fire" when I first started to learn fire starting in high school - ( over protective parents = late start!) then I discovered the magnesium striker.

True story; growing up in Southeast Alaska, I thought for years that starting fire with a magnifying lens was pretty difficult and unreliable. Nearly impossible really. Then I moved down to the lower and learned it was just me. Go figure.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Sorry you are all overcome in the heatwave. It's 60 here today and will be 40 tonight.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

When it's -40 at your place it will be 60 here and 40 at night.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    When it's -40 at your place it will be 60 here and 40 at night.
    Yep but by then I will be snug as a bug in a rug in a cabin and out of this behemoth that is impossible to heat without a small fortune.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    True story; growing up in Southeast Alaska, I thought for years that starting fire with a magnifying lens was pretty difficult and unreliable. Nearly impossible really. Then I moved down to the lower and learned it was just me. Go figure.
    I didn't know you were SEAK man. Fires are pretty tough to do here most of the yr.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Indeed. I had always been told that a person could start a fire that way on a sunny day with dry tinder. What I didn't know yet was that I'd never actually encountered what in most of the world passes for a sunny day, or dry tinder. And that in what for Southeast AK passes for a rain shadow
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

My favorite is a 9volt and steel wool.But have tried all the others too,practice makes perfect.

Living in So Cal makes it easy to try the magnifying glass most of the year. Now in the Pacific NW it only makes sense to look to the ferro rod as a first choice. But try the glass for fun if conditions allow.
    USN/USNTC/SD

When trebuchets are outlawed, only outlaws will have trebuchets.

Greetings from the Kingdom of An Tir and the Baroney of the 3 Mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by batch View Post
    magnifying glass in this weather. You'd have better luck rubbing two wet ducks together!

I used to carry a frenzel lens in my wallet for when my lighter died and i didn't have any matches. I could light my cigarettes with it on a sunny day. You would have to try and hold it right and drag on the cigarette. But, it worked.

I was wondering about this yesterday when i was watching green deane use a loop in one of his videos to look at tiny flowers.
    you have cigarettes!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Damn caps restriction...