Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Quest Camping Help - Multiple Month Survival in National Forest (CA)

Read through this:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild

You get two weeks in one spot in most state parks and all national parks/forests. They do actively look for squatters.

If SD tells you something about bears you might want to listen to him. He's got 35 years as a big game guide under his belt. If SD tells you something about anything outdoors you might want to listen to him.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I want to know which moderator is registering under multiple names and repeating this same post over and over and over... knowing that they will get countless pages of this uniform reply, counter reply.

Is the forum being paid per page of circular discussion?

If it is real I must conclude that protogalexy did not come here to ask advice but to make a statement of what he had already decided to do and what he had decided to take. This is what happens when one lives a cut and paste life, one starts believing they can live the fantacy. The fantacy becomes a real creation and opposition to it becomes a personal attack.

The escapism of the mind attempting to take actual form. Do we not have enough instances of these things to keep us occupied?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...nthlong-ordeal

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...made-a-shelter

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...going-to-be-ok

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...the-wilderness

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...(for-3-months)

And that was just last week!!!

And only in the General discussion section!!!
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-16-2012 at 08:12 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by protogalaxy View Post

I'm open to any advice about bears though, seeing as they're the most dangerous animal out there.

My guess is hide better, higher, and only shoot if you have a good vital shot. Use bait, and be extremely patient.
    The best advice on what to do when attacked by a bear is to immediately hunker down, place your head between your legs, and kiss your as* goodbye. Good luck with that!

Remember that coming on here and asking for advice does NOT insure that you're going to like what you hear. We get several of these a month.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I want to know which moderator is registering under multiple names and repeating this same post over and over and over... knowing that they will get countless pages of this uniform reply, counter reply.

Is the forum being paid per page of circular discussion?

If it is real I must conclude that protogalexy did not come here to ask advice but to make a statement of what he had already decided to do and what he had decided to take. This is what happens when one lives a cut and paste life, one starts believing they can live the fantacy. The fantacy becomes a real creation and opposition to it becomes a personal attack.

The escapism of the mind attempting to take actual form. Do we not have enough instances of these things to keep us occupied?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...nthlong-ordeal

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...made-a-shelter

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...going-to-be-ok

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...the-wilderness

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...(for-3-months)

And that was just last week!!!

And only in the General discussion section!!!
    Kyrat, I believe, most of the time, that it's probably a former member who got themselves banned now playing us. In all other cases they're just immature, unrealistic,people who are going to get their arse in a sling! I believe that this member dosen't know what he's talking about. Note this line from the OP, I've emphasized the key word: "Which National Forest of California do you think would be the best for beginner survival?"
    That's the "give-away" as it were!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

here's a good book on the subject

Still Wandering Aimlessly By Richard "Yogi" Bair

Product Description
    "Still Wandering Aimlessly is a novel about a summer spent backpacking in the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California. Richard “Yogi” Bair writes an autobiographical tale of friendship and adventure away from the money driven priorities of society.

“Birds and deer and bears are well worth knowing??? the wildflowers in spring and berries in the fall. These are my society.”

With Katie as a companion, he wanders in the mountains for three months climbing peaks, crossing dangerous rivers and surviving happily in an environment very different from our own. Eagles flying across enormous canyon walls and Bear encounters in both Alaska and Sequoia National Park are a normal part of daily life. Through many adventures he shows that the simple pleasures are the key to happiness in a complicated world.

“I have danced naked on top of peaks and swam naked in countless rivers and lakes??? These are not your everyday endeavors. But they're mine.”"

Banned

I don't know why everyone keeps asking my age, it's on my profile. I'm 22.
    Yes I'm unemployed. My area of expertise? Unfortunately I wouldn't call myself an expert at anything.
    I'm a workaholic when I am working, rarely like to take breaks, and a quick learner.

I have knowledge in roofing, gardening, health science, photography, journalism, and basic bushcraft.

@Rick I had read that post already.

I understand there are an abundance of "I'm living in the woods" posts, but it is a skill I need to advance, and I will begin with camping.

I can recognize when I'm in trouble, and begin to head back towards civilization, which is why I have plenty of lighters and extra food.

If I'm eating all my prep food first, not catching or foraging anything, or having problems with water and shelter, I wouldn't just sit around and cry and die.

I also understand the 2 week rule, which I plan to follow, because a big part of this is exploration, adventure, and personal satisfaction and photography. (with my extremely crappy camera.) I do hope one day to make some money and spend longer treks in nature, taking beatuiful photographs.

I appreciate the call to reality, but I think I can make it a reality, and once again will be testing on more desolate campsites for maybe week long stays first.

And as for the advice to just hunker down and die when a bear charges you, I would rather fight than die, and will be shooting the bastard in the chest, and head as much as possible. And if he's still on me, switch to spray and try to climb a tree, giving me time for more shots and spray.

I know there's a chance I would just be overrun and killed, but sometimes risks in life are worth taking, when your current life has used up all it's novelty, and become sitting around jogging the same trail over and over.

I also think that other humans are just as big of a threat, if not more, than a bear, a big part of it is making it to my locatioin without being robbed by the amassing groups of homeless/gangs watching over popular campsites.
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 12:32 PM.

I you are serious, about this trip, and plan to forage, start with your fish and game book, check season and reg....Lots of parks don't allow hunting, some fishing.
    Seems you have this in your head, not as a question but as a statement.
    Game laws don't care if you are surviving or not,.......There is no free lunch.

I will offer you a "Good luck with that"
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I don't know why everyone keeps asking my age, it's on my profile. I'm 22.
    Yes I'm unemployed. My area of expertise? Unfortunately I wouldn't call myself an expert at anything.
    I'm a workaholic when I am working, rarely like to take breaks, and a quick learner.

I have knowledge in roofing, gardening, health science, photography, journalism, and basic bushcraft.

@Rick I had read that post already.

I understand there are an abundance of "I'm living in the woods" posts, but it is a skill I need to advance, and I will begin with camping.

I can recognize when I'm in trouble, and begin to head back towards civilization, which is why I have plenty of lighters and extra food.

If I'm eating all my prep food first, not catching or foraging anything, or having problems with water and shelter, I wouldn't just sit around and cry and die.

I also understand the 2 week rule, which I plan to follow, because a big part of this is exploration, adventure, and personal satisfaction and photography. (with my extremely crappy camera.) I do hope one day to make some money and spend longer treks in nature, taking beatuiful photographs.

I appreciate the call to reality, but I think I can make it a reality, and once again will be testing on more desolate campsites for maybe week long stays first.

And as for the advice to just hunker down and die when a bear charges you, I would rather fight than die, and will be shooting the bastard in the chest, and head as much as possible. And if he's still on me, switch to spray and try to climb a tree, giving me time for more shots and spray.

I know there's a chance I would just be overrun and killed, but sometimes risks in life are worth taking, when your current life has used up all it's novelty, and become sitting around jogging the same trail over and over.

I also think that other humans are just as big of a threat, if not more, than a bear, a big part of it is making it to my locatioin without being robbed by the amassing groups of homeless/gangs watching over popular campsites.
    Did you read the whole line on the bear defense? I didn't really expect you to do it, and it seems like you already knew the answers anyway. Are you really planning on carrying a firearm in a National Forest? Do they allow that? If you really shoot a bear you won't have to worry about where you're going to sleep for awhile as I believe that, unless it's Bear season and you have the proper permit it's illegal! Also, shooting the bear and only wounding it will probably solve that little threat for you as it will, in all likelihood, just piss him off! However, here's one piece of serious advice, unless you REALLY want to try your hand at TRUE survival, don't go solo!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned

"It's comin' right for us!"

I'm pretty sure that the rangers value human life over a bears life. If I'm being attacked by a bear, there is something called self defense.

Hunting a bear is illegal. Protecting my life isn't. I only have deer tags, but will probably get bear.

I have no one to bring with me, but maybe if I start smaller camping trips I will meet people.

I will be checking and updating this thread less frequently, probably in a week or so,

and updating when I begin my first camping/treks.

I'm still open to all posts/questions, and will be back to check them.

As a final question to previous posters..

Have any of you survived in the wilderness for more than 2 weeks, off campground, finding your own source of water?

Or are you all just weekend hunters with plenty of money who fish at popular campsites?
    And haul big game back in trucks?
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

"It's comin' right for us!"

I'm pretty sure that the rangers value human life over a bears life. If I'm being attacked by a bear, there is something called self defense.

Hunting a bear is illegal. Protecting my life isn't. I only have deer tags, but will probably get bear.

I have no one to bring with me, but maybe if I start smaller camping trips I will meet people.
    Seems like you've already made up your mind despite any advice we can give you. Well, all's I can say is "Good luck with that!"
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

My problem with this issue is the way in which it is approached. I appears to me that people now come from "Survival", ie "Survival Camping", etc..

In my day (starting in mid 1950's, I was born 1947) we wanted to be "Outdoorsmen" or "Woodsmen". We respected and revered men and women who were "Comfortable" in the wilderness. They never thought about survival because the wilderness was NOT trying to kill them. I would strongly encourage youth (Anyone under 30 y/o) to forget about survival stuff as their first filter, and aspire to become comfortable living in the wilderness. The secret is Time spent with "Your Boots in the Field". Forget all the TV survival camping crap.

Banned

Of course I've already made up my mind.

The question isn't, "should I give up and sit around a house my entire life?" - but

"Where are good areas to begin"

You guys should change the name of this forum to "Good luck with that."

My main concern is where can I find affordable wool clothing. I have wool socks, hat, and blanket, but no wool shirts.

If anyone has any good links, I'd appreciate it, and I will be looking around the forum for wool clothing info.

I'm extremely limited in my money, so I'l like not to pay more than 50$ for a wool longsleeve.

If any of you have any spare wool clothing they'd sell, I'd appreciate it, you'd be helping someone who can't find employment.
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 01:05 PM.

I am sure most of your health problems and financial problems will be solved by simply leaving So Cal. It is a desert environment with a whole heck of a lot of people. Anywhere that has water will have people. I say move out of state. Go to college.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned
    Blog Entries

"
    As a final question to previous posters..

Have any of you survived in the wilderness for more than 2 weeks, off campground, finding your own source of water?
    Up to 6 months with no human contact, including no phone, or Hi-Freak radio.

8 weeks to 12 weeks often. You might read some of my blog posts, they might be helpful.

Ps. What is a campground.........?
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-16-2012 at 01:13 PM.

So if some one show up here and says, I gonna rob a bank.....do you suggest a full auto AK or just use select fire?....what do you suppose the answer would be.?
    Ranger (and the state) value bears more than people....just part of Darwin's Theory.

I am done discussing illegal scenarios with you.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

Of course I've already made up my mind.

The question isn't, "should I give up and sit around a house my entire life?" - but

"Where are good areas to begin"

You guys should change the name of this forum to "Good luck with that."

My main concern is where can I find affordable wool clothing. I have wool socks, hat, and blanket, but no wool shirts.

If anyone has any good links, I'd appreciate it, and I will be looking around the forum for wool clothing info.

I'm extremely limited in my money, so I'l like not to pay more than 50$ for a wool longsleeve.

If any of you have any spare wool clothing they'd sell, I'd appreciate it, you'd be helping someone who can't find employment.
    Yep! Good luck with that!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Banned

You do realize this website is called "Wilderness Survival".

I understand it's annoying to hear idiots proclaiming "I'm just like Survior-Man weee" but I've never even watched that show.

And for many beginners it's not comfortable, it is a matter of survival. I don't even watch TV, it's propaganda and crap.

If I had a family who was even close to wilderness minded, I would enjoy nature a little more comfortably, but I have no money, no support, no vehicle, and no home that I'm allowed to store hunted game. Not even a fireplace. Electric pans, and apathetic parents whose idea of wilderness is the park for 2 hours. They are willing to give me a ride to drop me off though. Sob story aside,

Realistically, "simply leaving So-Cal" is not so simple. Nor is going to college. To me college is just a business where they take your money, and then you still have the same chance of getting a job. The best chance at finding a job is just knowing people and connections, which I don't have.
    Every successful job endeavor I've heard of was just, "My buddy got it for me." "My parents set me up." "My friend's Dad hired me."

You don't know how many times people have gotten out of college and then said "Now what, I still can't find a job."

I plan on living minimal, and trying to get into photography and journalism until I make some connections.

I know a lot of things are illegal, I'm taking every move I can to not be an idiot.

Hunting License, fishing, Deer Tags, Moving site every two weeks, listening to what rangers tell me.

Whatever, if they value a bears life over mine, that's a problem.

Will update.

That is extremely respectable Sourdough, especially for the much harsher environment than CA.

Some of this thinking is twisted, wanting to venture into wilderness life is not akin to robbing a bank.

The forest laws have seriously made people into conformist fear-mongerers.

Like I said, will update, I envy you luckier people who have money to just camp legally with plenty of supplies,

but I wll try.

Let you guys know when I'm setting off on a shorter test run.

If it's an absoulte failure, I will admit, and you can all point and laugh and say

"I told you good luck with that."
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 01:28 PM.

Id use select fire myself.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

PHOTOGALAXY - "... As a final question to previous posters..

Or are you all just weekend hunters with plenty of money who fish at popular campsites?
    And haul big game back in trucks? "
    That high school sarcastic attitude will take you far.

If your finances are bleak, as for wool clothes, you should start haunting the Salvation Army, Goodwill, St. Vincent's Society, etc., in Santa Barbara. If you are persistent, you'll find wool clothes that have been donated.

EDIT: Do you have any hands on First Aid training? American Red Cross, Boy Scouts, Military, etc.? If you really intend to go out into the "wilderness" alone, eventually you'll probably really need it, and I don't mean just putting a Band Aid on a scrapped finger.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 07-16-2012 at 01:39 PM.

Banned

Salvation Army... Yes sir!

I had only planned Goodwill,

will look into Vincents Society.

Appreciations on the local recommendations..

Photogalaxy.. I like that..