Thread: Can this site be downloaded?

Default Can this site be downloaded?

Suppose SHTF tonight. I have a generator and some gasoline so I will have a little lite, radio, tv for news update (if there are any stations transmiting). I also have my pc with which I can view saved files and documents. Thats about all I have since I did a lousy job of preparing.
    BUT WAIT!!!!
    What if I could access the files from the wilderness survival forums!!??

So, my question is, can this website be downloaded and saved for apocalyptic future reference?

What most do is cut and paste to a word document when they find some gem worth saving.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Well then maybe I can give some helpful information to you guys.
    There is software that allows you to download entire websites. My problem is that I have not yet learned to use it. Here are a few links for those of you that are interested.
    http://www.maximumsoft.com/products/.../overview.html
    http://download.cnet.com/HTTrack-Web...-10039773.html
    The above sites are for windoze. The following site is for linux, specifically Ubuntu.
    http://ubuntu.igameilive.com/2010/06...or-ubuntu.html
    I hope you find this useful.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ahhh, but what if the SHTF event is one of those long awaited dastardly (I have been waiting a week to use that word again) EMP attacks.

Then all you precious downloaded and save files will be toast!

"Back in the day", and for about 5,000 years before "the day", (whenever that was) civilization was dependent on things called books made from thin slices of reprocessed wood, leather, sometimes even stone and occasionally clay tablets for the storage of knowledge.

You might want to make hard copies of anything you really value.

Or you could do the Book of Eli thing and memorize the entire forum contents and start the walk to Alcatraz.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Nice job on the dastardly, there KRS.......
    To sofasurfer, if you main plan is to use your sofa and electronic to survive....YouAreSoS........
    Information is not knowledge unless you know what to do with it.

Ya know all those zombies everyone keeps talking about....It's gonna be all those poor souls standing on the corners, or sofa, staring at a dark screen.....wringing their collective hanky........
    Good luck with that

Shut it off and go out side,....Do something.
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-10-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Practice till it becomes second nature then when you need it it come natural.practice makes perfect.

While that might well be handy elsewhere you have to copy every URL you want to save. A second page on a thread is a different URL. So is the third and so on. At the same time you'll be downloading all the off topic gossip as well as the finely articulated how to's and where for's offered up by the membership. Sort of like a full length motion picture with commercials. If you cut and past to a word document you can keep it all in one "book", eliminate the "commercials" and be fully prepared to dazzle your friends at the next neighborhood disaster party. Zombies are not invited of course.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Gee, kinda makes a guy regret offering a tip :-(

Unlike kyratshooter I have not spent my life studying survival and collecting survival books. All I have is what I learn from others and what I get online. I guess that makes me worthy of sarcasm. My tip was not meant as the ultimate resource but rather as yet another helpful bit of information, just like the information that you offer which some people may or may not appreciate.

>>EMP attacks.
    >>Then all you precious downloaded and save files will be toast!

If there are widespread EMP attacks then there is a good chance that there are nuclear attacks also in which case all of your stockpiles and bunkers are toast too. So I guess it is rediculous for you to talk about them.

Hunter63,
    >>To sofasurfer, if you main plan is to use your sofa and electronic to survive....YouAreSoS........

So if I change my screen name to something with the word "hunt" in it that will make me a mighty survivalist?
    And as for "zombies"? If thats even in your vocabulary then you should not be taken too seriously anyway.
    But congratulations on getting all of your knowledge with no information. Your awesome.

Lighten up you guys. I took a step to get involved. Thanks for the attempted shootdown.

Wholsomback, good advice. Thanks for sharing your common sense. I am learning and trying differant things. I got a late start and have a lot to learn. But I'm on it :-)

No shoot down intended by anyone. We just like to have fun so don't take offense. Everyone is an equally opportunity target from time to time. If you are getting razzed chances are good you're in the flock.

It was a good idea and you did your homework. Nothing wrong with that. If someone can use it, if not here then somewhere else, then you taught and they learned. That's what it's all about.

So, should I wuss out and edit my post back to civilization or stand firm? :>

Just because it may not be user friendly for this forum doesn't mean that somebody won't find it useful elsewhere.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Stand firm. Good info is good info. Leave it as is.

Whatever you call your self is your bizzness, wasn't trying to shoot you down, thought I was being funny, guess not....anyway, saving a lots of stuff doesn't do you any good unless you try and masterthose skills....before you need them.

I sure your computer skills far outweigh mine, what ever works for ya.....but in light of whatever you are preparing for, personnely I'm not putting my money on/into most anything that has anything to do with power....
    If it's there, fine, but when the batteries go dead, fuel runs out....yeah, might be a problem....getting by with out, is my goal.

Took a few classes here a while back, old guy going back to finish my degree..... instructor says, "Fri is a test, you can use the book, your notes, call a friend, whatever you want to do....but you better study, as you won't have time to take that information, and turn it into knowlage.".......That's where the saying come from....he was right.

BTW thanks for posting those sites.

As many of us have seen recently, a website and all its information can disappear overnight, no EMP or SHTF event necessary. Any tools to keep vital information from these or any sites available after a disaster knocks you off the 'Net is appreciated. Thanks, SS.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Whatever you call your self is your bizzness, wasn't trying to shoot you down, thought I was being funny, guess not....
    Aw shucks. Thats ok. I've done the same thing sometimes...try to make a joke and someone takes me serious
    Anyway, I'm in survival mode...feeling a little edgy

Quote Originally Posted by sofasurfer View Post
    Aw shucks. Thats ok. I've done the same thing sometimes...try to make a joke and someone takes me serious
    Anyway, I'm in survival mode...feeling a little edgy
    I give you credit have enough on the ball to have a concern about it, moves ya up in the class.....
    Most still are going to wait till the govment comes to save them.

The WebHTTrack will cache, and update the cache, of some web pages. It will harvest the links on those pages too. You can set the depth that you want it to go, within reason. It's not a cure all/end all, but it sure makes long plane flights a bit better. It's available for Linux and Windows.

If EMP etc worries you, you can put that netbook/notebook/thumb drive/PC in a Faraday Cage or EMP Proof Box.

Why are we talking about this? It's all in the Boy Scout manual.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

dont have one