Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Survival Quest Camping Help - Multiple Month Survival in National Forest (CA)

Banned

Question Survival Quest Camping Help - Multiple Month Survival in National Forest (CA)

Hello everyone, thank you for your interest!

This is both a question for advice, and a call for criticism.

For personal reasons, I have a need to pursue an alternative lifestyle for some months.
    My entire life I've been nature minded, a hiker and a trail runner, and researched basic survival.

Due to financial limitations I have not been able to study firsthand much of the National and State forest regions in my area of Southern California, (other than online research) and so:

Which National Forest of California do you think would be the best for beginner survival? Some forests I had in mind are the Los Padres National Forest, The Seqouia National Forest, and The Sierra National Forest.

What I'm looking for, listed by order of importance:
    Most abundance of running water, rivers, streams, etc.
    Most abundance of animals to hunt with a rifle
    Warm temperatures rather than cold, I can handle the heat much better than the cold. ie. 100 degree weather days> freezing nights.
    Abundance of plant life
    Abundance of mountaneous region/cave region.

The cave region is also of utmost importance for me, it is definitely my preferable shelter.

Here is a list of my survival gear and equipment:

Shelter:
    2 Tarps
    Plenty of rope
    Wool Blanket

Clothing:
    3 Underwear
    3 pair Cotton Socks
    1 pair Wool Socks
    3 Longsleeve Thermal Shirts
    2 Cotton Shirts
    2 Thermal Leggings
    2 Pants
    1 Cotton Jacket
    1 Rain/Wind Jacket w/ hood
    1 Wool buff
    1 Beanie
    2 pairs cotton gloves
    2 pairs leather gloves
    1 Hiking boots
    1 Rain/Fishing Boots

Tools:
    1 Axe
    1 Knife
    1 Machete
    1 Hunting Rifle w/ ammo and rope strap
    1 Small gun cleaning kit
    1 tool sharpener
    1 Walking Stick
    1 Fire starter Rod
    1 Binoculars
    1 Spring Body Trap
    1 Flashlight w/ extra batteries
    1 pocket watch
    1 compass
    1 small net
    1 Mini-Shovel
    1 mini-Hammer
    2 Trash bags
    1 Folding Saw *
    1 Small notepad w/ pen
    1 Baggie of Needle, thread, and medical guaze bandage.
    2 baggies w/ 50+ BIC lighters
    1 Nailclippers
    1 set baggies
    1 Pillow case w/ draw string

Cooking:
    1 Metal pot
    1 Baby fork
    1 Baby spoon
    1 Metal wire
    1 small camp stove
    1 set Fishing hooks
    1 roll Fishing line
    1 Canteen
    6 Bags Beans
    6 Bags Rice
    10 Bags Noodles
    6 packs F&E Bullion Cubes
    1 Baggie Cooking spices
    1 Glass Mason jar
    1 Baggie Seeds
    And lastly, a map of the area, which I have not chosen yet!

Approximate Weight: 75 pounds (over-estimate)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I realize that is a heavy amount of equipment, and was planning on making two trips to drop equipment off at my location, since I plan on staying in one spot for a good amount of time, before moving to another spot, since I would again have to make two trips.
    What area would you recommend, and what criticisms of equipment and two-trip equipment movement?

Thanks you!
    -Mike
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-15-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Good luck with that!

Advice is something asked for when someone already knows the answer, but wishes they didn't.

"for personal reasons......" Turn yourself in, the Law will find you eventually!
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Banned

Oh no no, you've got the wrong idea. I am definitely not a felon or criminal, that's a long shot from "personal reasons."

If you'd like to know, it is a combination of health and personal fulfillment. I am allergic to perfumes and many man-made chemicals, and always feel my best when I'm out in the fresh air. My rifle is legal, as is my hunting license.

I'm basically asking for advice on the amount of rivers and animals compared between coastal southern Los Padres forest, and the much more (I'm guessing) Sierra National Forest.
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-15-2012 at 11:15 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Hunting out of season and in National Forests/Parks is not! If you were not a criminal before setting out you will be if using your present plan.

Good luck with that.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Number one start in your back yard with building fires with a fire steel, lens or a bow drill ditch the 50 or so lighters on your list. I wouldn't hunt animals unless you have a license and they are in season with a rifle. Where is your first aid kit? Nice slip of the axe or knife and your in a spot to loose your life. Caves are not a good idea either animals like them also big ones bears. No offense but your food selection is super light on fats beans and rice are nice but you need fat. Eat the rabbits you like and your still gona die. There was guy found in the desert last week after a month lost 50 pounds if your a trail runner you don't have 50 pounds to lose. Why are you taking a gas mask????? Ditch the hammer use a rock. Ditch the cotton stick with wool still has insulating property when wet. What kind of knowledge of edible plants do you have? A mistake ingesting alkoloids found in some plants can lead to a long and very painful wait for death. Where is your hygene kit? You need clean hands if your gona mess with a wound or food your gona end up with more problems a wheres the tooth brush your mouth is gona scare away cougars after a month guess thats good. your gona need more than a canteen for water if your gona drink it cook with it pain to keep boiling water all day I assume thats how your gona treat it. Practice and be super proficent in bush skills before you go somewhere for a month. No way in hell I would want to haul 75 pounds around. Im not trying to be a jerk and I am no expert but I think that you got a lot of stuff to think on. Good luck whatever you decide. Being gone for a month and giving a return date that far off leaves a lot of time for bad things to happen where your not able to get help. Carrying a 75 pound pack and loosing your balance and sliding down a hill hitting trees along the way. Good luck CP

Banned

Who said I wouldn't wait for season?

Bro' ... You're taking all you need to survive anywhere... If ya got the know how..... Though--- 1 compass isn't enough.... (take 3... You'll thank me later) I am not too familiar with the So. Cal. Area , so all I'm gonna say is.... " Good luck with that! "
    Last edited by NightShade; 07-15-2012 at 11:36 PM.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Banned

Ditching hammer, I find that warm water and a rag is good enough to clean hands, it's proven that fricton kills germs. Gas mask somehow made it through copy paste from my other survival list. My hygiene bag is just small mirror and t-brush. I also don't plan on constantly carrying 75 pounds, but making two trips to drop off my equipment, and only traveling/hunting/gathering with minimal gear. My first aid only consits of the needle/thread and gauze.

Thanks though, I've been practicing fires with my my firesteel, and don't think it would be smart to ditch my lighters. and plan to get fat from animals. Coming across a bear in a cave? I do have spray and a high enough caliber..

Banned
    Blog Entries

A few questions: are you Male, Female, or Not sure.........????

Are you over 11 years old..........?????

Have you been taking you medications as instructed........???

Please describe your "High Caliber" Bear Gun.

And good luck with your folly.

Banned

Thanks. And though I definitely don't think I'm bear proof, superhuman, and invincible, some situations are not avoidable. I wouldn't take a bear unless I had to, and I'm not the type to provoke one.

I'm not talking about entering a cave with a known bear, I was talking about being approached by a bear whilst in a cave with no escape. I wouldn't run from a bear anyways, I would ignore it and walk perpindicular and then slightly away. That's what the spray is for, and the caliber I have is all I have, jackass. It's .30-06. I'd only be comfortable taking a bear if I was starving, and at height and distance, such as steep slope, cliff, or used a rope to climb a tree. And yes, I can climb ropes with a gun slung over my back. Tie rock, throw rope, tie, climb. Yes I know bears can climb trees, but probably not very well when being hit with multiple .30-06 caliber rounds from a distance.

Thanks for your positve input and wonderful attitude, I'm sure you're a great person.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by protogalaxy View Post
    Thanks. And though I definitely don't think I'm bear proof, superhuman, and invincible, some situations are not avoidable. I wouldn't take a bear unless I had to, and I'm not the type to provoke one.

I'm not talking about entering a cave with a known bear, I was talking about being approached by a bear whilst in a cave with no escape. I wouldn't run from a bear anyways, I would ignore it and walk perpindicular and then slightly away. That's what the spray is for, and the caliber I have is all I have, jackass. It's .30-06. I'd only be comfortable taking a bear if I was starving, and at height and distance, such as steep slope, cliff, or used a rope to climb a tree. And yes, I can climb ropes with a gun slung over my back. Tie rock, throw rope, tie, climb. Yes I know bears can climb trees, but probably not very well when being hit with multiple .30-06 caliber rounds from a distance.

Thanks for your positve input and wonderful attitude, I'm sure you're a great person.
    A.) 30-06 is a cartridge and NOT a Caliber.

B.) I am NOT a Great Person.

C.) As I said good luck with your fantasy/folly.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-16-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Youre the one being a jackass. You came here for advice, they ask questions so they can give you the right advice, even if they have a sarcastic *** humor. So yah, stop being such a hard *** and have some fun, your on the internet. Sincerely, A Drunk Kamel.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Banned

Sounds like he has some sort of superiority complex over being able to shoot a bear.

I'm open to any advice about bears though, seeing as they're the most dangerous animal out there.

My guess is hide better, higher, and only shoot if you have a good vital shot. Use bait, and be extremely patient.
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 12:42 AM.

I didnt say he was joking, i said he PROBABLY has a sarcastic sense of humor. Im new here to, and I get **** all the time, its all in good fun and im always drunk when I post cause thats when I have the most questions. So what! take it with a grain of salt and laugh and answer back sarcastically. Everyone here, that has replied to my threads, has helped in someway. and ive seen some useful stuff by sourdough. seriously, go check my threads, im a dumbass when it comes to this stuff but ive learned alot in the last 4 days
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

Banned

Sourdough, what distance and bullet weight do you recommend for bear?
    for deer?

I so far only am thinking the 30 cal expanding soft tip.

And should I get flat or boat?

I understand different distances provide different types of expansion/penetration, what do you recommend?

I'm a beginner when it comes to bullets, but I don't have the luxury of choosing any rifle I want
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 01:07 AM.

I lived 36 years in Los Angeles, 1 1/2 years in Santa Barbara. I owned a vacation home in a tiny community at 6,000 feet on the western slope of the Sierra, from 1969 until 2000. That community was surrounded by the Sequoia Nat'l. Forest. I've hunted, hiked, camped, explored, etc., all over the Sierra in the Sequoia areas, both western and eastern slopes, and also in the Los Padres Nat'l Forest. Water can be scarce in both areas and especially so in the Summer and Fall.

In my opinion, I believe you'd have a hard time trying to find a place where no one would be around, as there is quite a bit of foot, horse, and motorized traffic in both those Nat'l Forests. There are a few caves up there but if you don't know where they are, you'll not find them ... unless by pure luck. The three of which I know and have seen over many years, would not be my choice of "Home Sweet Home."

I've hunted in the Sierra Nat'l. Forest, but not enough to give advice on it.

There are not many small game animals up there which would sustain a person over a long period of time, and you will be allowed only one deer, if you're lucky enough to kill one legally. Even if you kill one, unless you are very, very, very adept when it comes to smoking and jerking venison, you'll only get two or three days eating until the venison spoils. Most Calif. deer seasons are in the warmer weather of mid-Fall, so meat spoils quickly unless you get it to a cold locker. I don't know of any of those up there.

Also, there is very little fat on a deer. A bit, but if you want some untasty food, just start eating what little fat there is on a deer.

If you're going to be in the mountains in late Fall and Winter, your cotton clothes can kill you. That one wool blanket won't even begin to keep you warm at night when the mountain temperatures drop, as they always do once Summer ends. I can not even imagine why you'd need 50 BIC lighters but if you want to hump 'em, your choice. I'd dump most of them and add more to my First Aid kit if I were you.

If you try this venture, make certain you adhere to the Calif. Fish & Game rules and regs. Game Wardens look more than slightly askance at people who do not follow the law.

Without knowing what your outdoor skills are and how experienced you are in the boonies, I think you are not just asking for trouble, but are sitting up and begging for it. If you just want to "escape" the civilized world (kinda hard in California), I suggest you do some research and find a small cabin for sale somewhere up in the mountains and buy if you can afford it, or rent. Then practice living in that remote location. You'll be far better off than trying to follow your outlined plan.

Just my opinion. It's worth exactly what you paid for it.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 07-16-2012 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Correct typo.

Banned

I do understand it can be very cold in the upper mountains, I plan to stay a bit more south around the foothills if I choose the Sierra path, or possibly warmer areas of the Padres..

I see lots of animals on my treks, but I plan on finding a good river stream etc, and making use of fishing
    Last edited by protogalaxy; 07-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.

I started to go through your list and suggest improvements, but as I went through it I decided you seriously need to go on some weekend minimalist camping trips and figure out what you use and don't use. Take a notepad with you and if you see something that you don't use make a note and don't bring it next time and if you think of something that you would like to have while you are out in the bush make a note to bring it next time.

Safety is number one and I think you should put together a good first aid kit, there are some good threads on here about first aid kits.

You listed "1 body grip trap", to have a producing trap line you will need way more than 1 trap. I would recommend waiting for season to come in and learn to use snare traps (If they are legal in your area, check local laws). But rabbits will not keep you alive by themselves as their meat is too lean.

What kind of wool blanket are you planning on using, be aware military surplus wool blankets are not 100% wool. It will keep you warm on a cool fall night but not a cold winter night and a good wool blanket will run well above $100.

You can't expect to go out stay in the woods for a prolonged period of time without first learning the skills required to do so and even then it would be tough. It's kind of like deciding your going to kill your first animal and chose to hunt an elephant with a slingshot... your more likely to die than to kill the elephant...

With what you have listed in 4 days tops you will be absolutely miserable... good luck with that...
    Last edited by Sparky93; 07-16-2012 at 02:32 AM.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Banned

I do have financial limitations, and my current living situation is causing major health problems.
    I can make snares, and fish.
    I will be taking all of this advice, and instead of diving right into a situation I might regret, will do some test camping first, possibly with some friends, buy some more traps. It is a good wool blanket, I've ordered some more that are 100%, not military surplus. I also have some other nice thick blankts and a good sleeping bag, but am limited in what I can carry when I decide to go out deeper. Thanks to all, will rep.

Two questions for you. How old are you? What is your current occupation, or if unemployed what is your field of expertise in the job market arena?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel