Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your biggest screwup?

Took a shot too late in the day in a swampy area and hit a deer but it ran deep into the forest. I tracked its blood trail for about an hour until I realized I must not have hit it in a vital area and it was long gone. By then I was way into the forest and it was FILLED with these big waterholes that went hundreds of feet down. The bedrock was porous limestone and the water had created these giant sinkholes, which then accumulated rainwater and dead leaves. One wrong step and BLOOP, down you went. It was November and the light was already pretty thin and I had to spend the night there, since I was not going to risk a late night swim trying to walk out. I only had my daypack, so it was a tarp, a space blanket and a space bag (like a space blanket but taped to be a sleeping bag). That added to my wet/cold weather gear was pretty much it. Made a fire and tried to stay as close to it as I could for the night. I have rarely been happier to see daylight as I was the next day. Of course, it snowed during the night, so getting out became that much harder as many of the pits now had a coating of snow over them so they were camoflauged. I had to pick along with a long stick to keep from going into one, and that meant it took forever to get back to my truck. Ugh!
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

The worst I had was inviting my friend camping. His old lady doesnt let him get much sleep apparently so the peace and quiet out in the woods he past out at 5PM and snored like a bear all night. Kinda boring bringing a friend and then reverting back to solo with something that sounds like a bear in the tent.

P.S. Yeah was a g/f joke

LOL, I had a friend of a friend like that on one hunting trip. The cabin we were in slept 12 and we had 7. 4 of us chose to sleep outside for the remainder of the trip. Hah.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

It Sounds Small. But I'm As Flat Foot As You Can Be, So I Wear Orthodics In My Shoes. Hard Plastic Inserts That Give My Foot An Arch, Without Them Every Joint Below My Shoulders Becomes Angry. Well A Good Friend And I Were Dropped Off 15 Miles From Our Campsite On The First Day And Were Going To Hike In..... Well, I Half Forgot My Orthodics, I Forgot To Put My Right One In, And After About 3 Miles I Was In Severe Pain. I Couldn't Take The Other One Out, Brian Wore Gel Inserts And We Cut The Arch Part Out And Doubled Them Up In My Boots, Wasn't Perfect, But Got Us To Camp..... Now I Have A List Of Things That Aren't An Option That Stays On My Footlocker
    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived."

-George Patton

was 18 working as an apprentice landscaper stupid me forgot about poisen oak in a two week period after that i lost 30 lbs and was very close to a hospital stay (had poisen oak over 60% of body ) i repeatedly ignore docs orders to stay out of woods since then i went from 204 to 179 in ten days right after got ok from doc i went back to football practice lol by nov. with football and wrestling i was down to 169 lbs not good on a 5'10 german stocky frame