Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking to learn "MORE" about Caching.......Ideas.....?

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    I was considering a small cache in the big hollow tree behind the house but the elves claimed squatters rights.

Yeah, but look at the cookies you get.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    [/COLOR]

Yeah, but look at the cookies you get.
    That's a myth...went by a Keblers factory in Grand rapids MI once, it was shift change....they were just regular factory workers......the guard shack was built to look like a hollow tree ,however....
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

To ease your cache extraction and likely eliminate the need for tools when recovering your supplies:

When digging your hole place the removed dirt/debris into a wheelbarrow or similar container.
    Insert your cache into the hole checking for fit.
    Once you're satisfied with the fit, backfill to within a few inches of the top with clean sand.
    Top off with original topsoil leaving a very slight mound.
    The mound should level off with a rain shower or two.
    When digging it up, the sand will let you know you're in the right location and should be easier to remove.
    Haul the excess dirt off far enough to help conceal the source.
    Last edited by Cast-Iron; 07-27-2012 at 05:07 PM.

When I started to think of an alternative location, I then considered "What if we were not all together when major event occured or the house had been taken and we were separated. That is when we made the plan with our family, there is a certain place we were all aware of to meet. Two 55 gallon drum were barried with camping equipment and food and necesary items for only 4 days. We talked with our kids too about the reasons for this and what they were to do. We have practices with them on several occations, bug out from where you are and meet at this place.

So far they have all done well with it. We also set up secret codes for the event that a group had to go to the alternant location without the second group. And a second drum in a different location nearby contains a bug out pack for them.

Whatever your plans are, practice makes perfect.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjane View Post
    When I started to think of an alternative location, I then considered "What if we were not all together when major event occured or the house had been taken and we were separated. That is when we made the plan with our family, there is a certain place we were all aware of to meet. Two 55 gallon drum were barried with camping equipment and food and necesary items for only 4 days. We talked with our kids too about the reasons for this and what they were to do. We have practices with them on several occations, bug out from where you are and meet at this place.

So far they have all done well with it. We also set up secret codes for the event that a group had to go to the alternant location without the second group. And a second drum in a different location nearby contains a bug out pack for them.
    Well planned, very well done.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have also decided to build a "Classic" Log Cabin type cache atop of 16' poles. This will be partly for ascetics, and also for winter moose/caribou meat storage. The poles need to be wrapped with tin to stop voles, martin, ermine,wolverines, etc.
    http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/qu...7-pictures.htm
    Last edited by Sourdough; 08-01-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Is that a one summer or two summer project for you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    is that a one summer or two summer project for you?
    two.............

We need to find you an apprentice. You'd think that with all of the wide eyed, idealists, that are fed up with society that you'd have yourself a good sized work force already. Maybe it's not society that they are tired of, but rather just hard work.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

here's a link to a cache thread at piterhunt, may be some useful info.

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...OTA7N87PlfcOTg

Banned
    Blog Entries

Update: I got the last of the 55 Gal. drums out today, along with two 5 gal. propane tanks, one more stove, & 190 MH meals. Now the bad news is two of the older caches were attacked last week, damage only the containers, contents OK. Most likely very young bears or my wolf.

Might be an on-going problem?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Might be an on-going problem?
    I hope I have discovered the cause.

I would suppose the 16' poles are there to prevent this from happening, gonna be kinda tough to get the stuff up there, and of course back down again.
    So a Grizz can rip open a 55 gal drum?

Although it wouldn't look so good maybe, but have you cansidered a old van parked out there?

The black bear in Yosemite open cars as if they were made of tissue paper. Can you find any plastic pickle barrels with screw tops? Buried they should work well and you only have to uncover the top to get to the contents.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have switched my theory lately, and now building lots of smaller (30 Cal. ammo cans) caches containing a few dozen of every cartridge & shells, lighters, strike anywhere matches, rope, tarp/ponchos, etc.

This is an interesting short story 14 chapters, but be WARNED there are bad words even the "F" word. So read at your own risk. Remember there are 14 chapters.
    http://selousscouts.blogspot.com/200...he-part-1.html
    Last edited by Sourdough; 10-07-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Black Bear get in my garbage. I would have one of these if they were cheaper. http://tyedeebin.com/joomla158/
    I grew up around a bunch of hard drinking Scotsman, my mother would remind me that the “F Bomb “wasn’t part of the English language.

I don't know how many 55 gal drums anyone has tried to bury, by hand, so far have one under my belt to a under ground drainage...er septic, ah leaking holding tank.......(illegal)..don't have it any more, don't know nothing.......Will not do it again....Honest.

But it was a real PITA.

I'm thinking the 30 cal cans or even 6-8" PVC with caps would be very wise......

I have some food stashes around the local forest, and when I can't dig a nice hole, I use an ice chest, and while there, paint it to match the surroundings, then I camoflage it heavily with debris. So far I've never lost anything I've stashed by being careful. I snowshoe in to some places and camp. In summer I cut my wood and stash what I need, so when I hike in, I carry very little on my back. Fun as heck, and peaceful like ya can't believe