Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking to learn "MORE" about Caching.......Ideas.....?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Looking to learn "MORE" about Caching.......Ideas.....?

I have had a hard time finding good/useful information about caching. I have for about three years been learning via my mistakes (several) and I am open to any information you come across about caching. This article is consistent with my "Boots in the Field" experiences with caching.

http://www.strategic-living.net/inde...g-and-retreat/
    Last edited by Sourdough; 01-04-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Good info. I was scouting out some potential places today. It would be nearly impossible to dig a deep hole here So I'm trying to be creative.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    Good info. I was scouting out some potential places today. It would be nearly impossible to dig a deep hole here So I'm trying to be creative.

I have moved away from burying 120 MM ammo cans and 55 Gallon drums, and now position them in very thick cover. Secure with 1/2" Snap'ties, then I spray paint them to match the environment. Then I place moth-balls around the cache.

Some of this article is kinda silly, but overall I agree with the main theme.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    Some of this article is kinda silly, but overall I agree with the main theme.
    Well, Just like these Forums, I extract what I can use, and 86 the rest.

Good point Sourdough.. On the article- I couldn't agree more with the importance of having supplies at different locations, the importance of communications, and the ideas on strategic withdrawal/retreat. It goes along with my "fly beneath the radar" plan.
    I think that a whole lot of people think tons of ammo/guns and a well fortified position will keep them safe indefinetly. I also believe this to be a severly flawed theory.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    Good point Sourdough.. On the article- I couldn't agree more with the importance of having supplies at different locations, the importance of communications, and the ideas on strategic withdrawal/retreat. It goes along with my "fly beneath the radar" plan.
    I think that a whole lot of people think tons of ammo/guns and a well fortified position will keep them safe indefinetly. I also believe this to be a severly flawed theory.
    I figure that I have zero chance of winning a "Fair" gun fight. Which is my reasoning for drop'back positions, and then retake/reclaim my cabin in extreme low light conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I have moved away from burying 120 MM ammo cans and 55 Gallon drums, and now position them in very thick cover. Secure with 1/2" Snap'ties, then I spray paint them to match the environment. Then I place moth-balls around the cache.
    That's a good idea. I'm open to any suggestions on a food stash that can withstand extreme temperature swings and not be totally ruined.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I figure that I have zero chance of winning a "Fair" gun fight. Which is my reasoning for drop'back positions, and then retake/reclaim my cabin in extreme low light conditions.
    SD, what would be a scenerio (likelyhood) in which you envision this taking place?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlup View Post
    That's a good idea. I'm open to any suggestions on a food stash that can withstand extreme temperature swings and not be totally ruined.
    See if you can find some 120 MM ammo cans. they are about 33" tall, 5" wide by 12" with a tight rubber seal. I am getting 33 two serving Mountain House meals, + a new bowsaw, candles, gloves, firestarting stuff, etc. into each can. I am paying $20.00 each for 120 MM cans.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    SD, what would be a scenerio (likelyhood) in which you envision this taking place?
    Anything that would drive family groups from Anchorage, AK. (89 miles away). I think at first outsiders would ask nicely for fuel, borrow a chainsaw/axe, borrow a lantern, a tarp or tent. But at some point they will become more forceful/demanding about their starving children, or freezing children. At some point they will want to know why they can't move into one of my buildings. I don't realistically expect the "Classic" gangs to leave Los Anchorage to invade here.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Todays project is a small ammo can with a S&W M-60 3" and 100 rounds of FMJ. I should have used a slightly larger ammo can so that the two holsters would have fit into the same can (well it is a learning process). I was able to vacume seal the ammo in a salsa jar buy heating only the jar and lid.

The M-60 is wrapped in an old cotton cloth and inside 5 zip-lock bags with the inner bag filled with 30W motor oil. When deployed I will snap-tie in place and spray paint to match the soroundings, cover with brush and moth-balls.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-17-2012 at 03:40 PM.

Why mothballs? I know some use them to keep rodents out, but the metal box should do that. Along those lines, if the paint job is to prevent prying eyes, won't the odor of the mothballs indicate to a human that something might need further investigating.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Waiting for "low light conditions" might be a good deal in the lower 48 but how does that work out with 6 month day and 6 month night?

You could starve to death waiting for dark!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Why mothballs? I know some use them to keep rodents out, but the metal box should do that. Along those lines, if the paint job is to prevent prying eyes, won't the odor of the mothballs indicate to a human that something might need further investigating.

The moth-balls are for bears, they hate the smell of Naptha. The hiding/paint is for my enjoyment as NO-one goes into the wilderness around here but me. They stay on the trail systems.

Gotcha. How long will the mothballs last before you need to re-apply? And I'm guessing you don't need to put them out while the bears are not active?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You can get powder storage tubes from Coleman's. They are 40 inches long and 7 inch diameter. They are $7.50 each. Don't know what shipping would be.

http://store.colemans.com/cart/40-in...ube-p-132.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Gotcha. How long will the mothballs last before you need to re-apply? And I'm guessing you don't need to put them out while the bears are not active?
    All summer here (About 6 months).

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have decided to cache two (2) full 15 pound propane bottles, and two propane cook stoves. The sled has change the boundary of possibilities.

I am slowly realizing that the limits of caching is bounded by one ability to fully hide the idem.
    Last edited by Sourdough; 07-24-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Early on when "The Place" was just a old camper parked in the field, we kept a 55 gal drum w/lid and seals, ring and a place to lock it up as a 'camp in a can" so to speak.

This was done to keep the mice out of the gear.....not really to hide it......Makes ya wonder what the heck those mice eat when I don't have stuff for them to destroy.

Have gotten away from that, but I wondering if that would be an option, again....with all this talk of caching, particularly the last post on propane and stoves....kinda brought it back up.

The orginal drum is long gone after a full life of various uses, and was getting a little weather torn....so a replacement, or even one of the sealing military ammo cases might be in order.

The drum did work well, didn't seem to have any damage to contents as far as moisture, and was kept under a tarp...then later in the shed.
    I not sure I would want to bury it, as the ground is clay and hard to dig that big of a hole....so that leaves me to figure out a way to disguise it,.

This thread has given me a reason to think about it again.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27