Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK....Let's talk TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF Preparing.

In order to simplify things for ourselves, I've approached our preps not in terms of the type of S that might HTF but whether we'll be Bugging In (most likely) or Out. In either case, I prep for the absolute worst to the extent our location, living space & budget allow. I don't stress over things I can't affect (at this time, anyway) but try to improve on things I can. Health & physical conditioning (less dependence on meds/drs./other people), finances (living debt-free, below our means), learning and practicing new skills, and generally doing more with less. I don't even think of ourselves as "preppers" it's just how we live and have for the last 10 years.

Environment:

1) Moved to a tiny unincorporated village of about 100 people, most of whom are interested in gardening, permaculture, co-operative living, etc. The village has a large orchard co-op, garden co-op, several greenhouses, a chicken co-op, and one resident owns adjacent farmland with 300 head of sheep, some goats, ducks, turkeys, and a small herd of black angus.

2) The village has a central water treatment plant and pump house that sends water to all 40 homes. The well pump and the distribution pumps are powered by a 10KW Bergey Wind generator, with a propane-fired backup generator. There is also a hand-operated well pump on hand, just in case.

3) About 10 of the 40 homes have solar-PV for at least lighting and refrigeration.

4) About half the homes have woodburning stoves and stockpiles of firewood.

5) The village has a little club called SNAP: S________ Neighbors Actively Prepare.

6) Our tiny village is six miles from the next closest village -- 300 people; ten miles from a village of 1,000 people; and, thirty miles from the nearest city -- 30,000 people.

Personal:

1) Use the large-pantry approach to food storage and stockpiling.

2) Have self, home, and village defense plan in place.

3) Remain active (as much as possible) at learning and practicing primitive skills; and, same with hands-on practical/technical skills, such as woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc.

4) Have amassed a huge collection of how-to books.

5) Have a much larger than average collection of all kinds of tools, and know how to use them.

Quote Originally Posted by tjwilhelm View Post
    Environment:

1) Moved to a tiny unincorporated village of about 100 people, most of whom are interested in gardening, permaculture, co-operative living, etc. The village has a large orchard co-op, garden co-op, several greenhouses, a chicken co-op, and one resident owns adjacent farmland with 300 head of sheep, some goats, ducks, turkeys, and a small herd of black angus.

2) The village has a central water treatment plant and pump house that sends water to all 40 homes. The well pump and the distribution pumps are powered by a 10KW Bergey Wind generator, with a propane-fired backup generator. There is also a hand-operated well pump on hand, just in case.

3) About 10 of the 40 homes have solar-PV for at least lighting and refrigeration.

4) About half the homes have woodburning stoves and stockpiles of firewood.

5) The village has a little club called SNAP: S________ Neighbors Actively Prepare.

6) Our tiny village is six miles from the next closest village -- 300 people; ten miles from a village of 1,000 people; and, thirty miles from the nearest city -- 30,000 people.

Personal:

1) Use the large-pantry approach to food storage and stockpiling.

2) Have self, home, and village defense plan in place.

3) Remain active (as much as possible) at learning and practicing primitive skills; and, same with hands-on practical/technical skills, such as woodworking, plumbing, electrical, etc.

4) Have amassed a huge collection of how-to books.

5) Have a much larger than average collection of all kinds of tools, and know how to use them.
    That's kinda our plan as well, and why we purchased "The Place" our cabin, starting back in 1989.

As with many small towns, unless everyone is new, you do have to deal with the hierarchy already in place, as many families date back to original settlers, and does take some time to 'fit in"......Some thing that need to be worked at always.

Being an outsider, make things hard, more expensive, and generally not pleasant to start with.......but does get better with time and effort on your part.

Just be aware, the locals don't care who, or what, you "WERE"....just who you are now..........
    Last edited by hunter63; 07-15-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think being prepared is the same for almost any kind of SHTF issue. You always have to have water, food, guns ammo, shelter, fire, etc. You can always go mobile and take some of it with you, or bug in and hold your ground.
    SHTF takes many forms so just be prepared and hope for the best!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wildthang View Post
    I think being prepared is the same for almost any kind of SHTF issue. You always have to have water, food, guns ammo, shelter, fire, etc. You can always go mobile and take some of it with you, or bug in and hold your ground.
    SHTF takes many forms so just be prepared and hope for the best!

I am going to "Respectfully" disagree. I feel that there is a next/higher level of preparing for a EOTWAWKI type event.

If you've prepared for the worst case scenario then you should be able to handle in lower level event. There might be exceptions but I think in the general sense that's true.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What's "worse case scenario" Rick?

Asteroid strike? Nuclear war? Alien invasion?

Or something like economic collapse, foreign invasion, or long lasting social upheaval?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

I view my prepping as simply being prepared for a certain period of time, and trying to extend that time to be greater and be able to take care of a larger number of people. Got preps for a month? Try to push it to 3 months. Got preps for 4 people? Try to expand to handle 8 people. I'm not worried about being "done" any time soon.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post

Or something like economic collapse, foreign invasion, or long lasting social upheaval?

This is the level that I am prepping for now, as I feel I have the standard issue SHTF stuff covered. I have now moved to building remote fall'back positions in the deep wilderness, with staged supply caches.

I've got the SHTF covered as well. I don't know the best way to prepare for that next level at the location where I'm at. I've certainly made some preparations for those scenarios. My overall plan is kind of an assess, adapt, and overcome strategy.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

There are certain things you just can't prepare for, unless you're clairvoyant; asteroid hit, accidents , major catastrophic illnesses, wrong place at the wrong time, etc. Everything else depends on where you live. Obviously, my risks in Manhattan are different from SD's in Alaska. And what I can do about it is different from what Sarky can do about the same type of risk where he is.
    There are just too many variables among us to make a judgement call across the board beyond covering the basics. (which we all share)
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade
    Asteroid strike? Nuclear war? Alien invasion?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. I'm my preps don't cover it I have popcorn, soda and a folding chair that does.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Dec 20, my place.....party....possiblely a once in a lifetime experience........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Dec 20, my place.....party....possiblely a once in a lifetime experience........
    Just remember you invited us when we show up...and don't shoot.

You watch. He's gonna walk around the corner and we'll be sitting on the front porch and he'll be all like WTF? I'm printing this thread off and I'll just hand it to him. Sorta like a ticket for the event. I just hope he has beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You watch. He's gonna walk around the corner and we'll be sitting on the front porch and he'll be all like WTF? I'm printing this thread off and I'll just hand it to him. Sorta like a ticket for the event. I just hope he has beer.
    Smart thinking Rick.
    Might have to bring all manner of bacon treats as host gifts. Maybe some pies, too.

I...uh....I'll carry the bacon. Sure. I wouldn't want to burden you with a lot of bacon. It's kinda heavy. If you happen to be taking bread and mustard I'll carry those, too.

Just make sure you don't travel by canoe on the way there.

True.....true.

On second thought, why don't you carry the salad and the croutons, Rick.