Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK....Let's talk TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF Preparing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default OK....Let's talk TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF Preparing.

But I don't want your regurgitated theories. I want to know what you are really doing to prepare of a major catastrophic event in "YOUR" life. I don't care what you think will happen, I want to know what your doing about it.

Some of you want a heated conversation, well let's get it on.

Blog Entries

Cool Uh-oh!

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    ....Some of you want a heated conversation, well let's get it on.
    Now you did it, you woke up Sourdough! Lookout! It's Sourdough UNCHAINED! Be careful what you ask for!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well after my little Shtf experience I am looking at some solar powered gennys.

I'm just trying to teach the grand kids how to keep their tinder dry. Maybe they'll fix an old man a hot cup of coffee one of these days.

Other than that, Granny is the pantler, you'll have to talk to her.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

OK here goes. Since I live on the Ring of Fire, my first concern is of course earthquakes. Now, if we get a big one (which is long over due), my secondary concern is civil unrest when the government fails (again) to be able to help the people in the disaster area. Since I live in the SF Bay area, I can tell you that while some of the people are waking up, the majority are clueless. They think that all food either comes from the supermarket, fast food, or for the less fortunate the dumpster. As for me and my neighbors and friends, we have stored supplies, water, a means to cook said supplies and the means to defend said supplies. We also have seed and hand tools in order to grow food. We also have several contingency plans in case the situation here become untenable.
    I know what hunts you.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Plan already in place.

Me and the dozen neighbors on the road blow the bridge across the lake, drop a tree across the road and live day 2 just like we live all the others, only we don't drive anywhere.

No where to drive too anyway, it's the end of the world and Micky-Dee's down by the interstate is closed. Actually, that and the Dairy Queen being out of icecream were my first clues something was wrong!

Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Thursday I did a 10 mi urban road march with a light ruck making sure to hop fences, climb walls and run across highways. My plan is mobility having already lost, sold, bartered or given away most of everything anyway I can pull stakes in a blink of an eye an never look back

Natural disasters are what I prepare for more than anything. I have about everything Sarky has except seeds to grow food. But that is mostly because I would have that stuff anyway for other reasons like food in case of unemployment or a blizzard(s) like a few years ago. I have guns just for common sense protection of my home. I have a 3-day bob in case my place catches fire again. There is always a chance of flooding when you live on the coastal plain so I prepare for that( I know where all the highest ground is.) As far as the fantasy theories of zombies, alien invasions and anarchic uprisings, well I dont prep for that stuff. You can have that world.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Honestly? Nothing. I have concluded I would not survive any length of time after what may be considered TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF, therefore I see no point in getting bent out of shape, either physically, psychologically or financially over it. Not that I believe anything of that magnitude will ever happen.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Blog Entries

Cool +1!

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Honestly? Nothing. I have concluded I would not survive any length of time after what may be considered TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF, therefore I see no point in getting bent out of shape, either physically, psychologically or financially over it. Not that I believe anything of that magnitude will ever happen.
    Yep! Same here! Besides, I lost all of my canoes in a gun accident...wait a minute...that ain't right....!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Realistically we have covered the basics. A decent food supply, a few ways to purify water, genny and back up genny, home defense, wood stove with a good supply of wood etc...
    My biggest priority for the last few years after getting the basics nailed down is to pay off any debt we have as fast as possible. I'm sure the economy won't get better soon if ever so that's my current priority. We have a lot of weather related power outages. We are both self employeed and the food storage has kept us going during a few tough times. I'm never going to say never on a lot of theories but that's my plan. No real survival group to speak of and no solid BOL. Just us. Lots of holes in the plan but we work with what we have.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Good point.....but prepping does allow for more gear and "stuff"......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Winnie I have to agree with you that I too would not last long if there was such a thing. I simply am prepared for natural disaters and to he** with the rest. I know that my health will not alow me to survive without medications. So I spend money on surviving the weather related things and use the rest of my money to enjoy life.

Prep for the most possible shtf and hope it mitigates the rest.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Plan already in place.

Me and the dozen neighbors on the road blow the bridge across the lake, drop a tree across the road and live day 2 just like we live all the others, only we don't drive anywhere.

No where to drive too anyway, it's the end of the world and Micky-Dee's down by the interstate is closed. Actually, that and the Dairy Queen being out of icecream were my first clues something was wrong!

Ok now this is what im talking about. there is life in this forum...see post no offence.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjohn View Post
    Thursday I did a 10 mi urban road march with a light ruck making sure to hop fences, climb walls and run across highways. My plan is mobility having already lost, sold, bartered or given away most of everything anyway I can pull stakes in a blink of an eye an never look back
    Im sorry......

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techiedude View Post
    Ok now this is what im talking about. there is life in this forum...see post no offence.
    Only until the F.A.R.Ts nap time.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by techiedude View Post
    Im sorry......
    Don't be man I don't mind lemonade

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjohn View Post
    There's a lot of freedom when you're not tied to a bunch of stuff.

We have mutual friends that are brothers. One is into prepping(D) and told his brother(M) that if things get bad he should head up to his house.
    M and his wife rarely have food in their house. Barely even anything in the freezer. They are the folks that always say "We're coming to your house etc..."

Last week M acutally mentioned bugging out to his brothers house if necessary. So I told D that it looked like M was coming around.

D said, No, he will wait too long trying to save his home and stuff and he'll never make it up there.

So if you've got nothing to loose you may make better decisions than others if necessary.
    "I enjoy surviving." Yes, well I certainly hope so as the other side of that is "DEATH!"
    Sarge47

"Freedom is another word for nothing left to lose" (Me and Bobby McGee).............
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27