Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: OK....Let's talk TEOTWAWKI or super SHTF Preparing.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Prep for the most possible shtf and hope it mitigates the rest.
    Exactly! My biggest threat is wildfire; requires multiple ways to get out of town, survive for awhile, maybe be of assistance to folks I run into.
    Now, that same prepping will help if I face a flood, or just an extended power outage.
    Short of that, my preparations make me more comfortable when I'm enjoying the land, and gives me an excuse to start a fire 5 different ways, build a small shelter
    frame, eat some stored food, etc, with some purpose...which is a good thing.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

Quote Originally Posted by jfeatherjohn View Post
    Exactly! My biggest threat is wildfire; requires multiple ways to get out of town, survive for awhile, maybe be of assistance to folks I run into.
    Now, that same prepping will help if I face a flood, or just an extended power outage.
    Short of that, my preparations make me more comfortable when I'm enjoying the land, and gives me an excuse to start a fire 5 different ways, build a small shelter
    frame, eat some stored food, etc, with some purpose...which is a good thing.
    Have you seen the methods for clearing all of the underbrush, saplings, and low hanging limbs around your house to prevent a fire from consuming the place. Unless you live in a dense forrest, that will go a long way toward preventing you house from burning. Of course it does nothing to get rid of the smoke and inability to breath, but I saw a show on that where some people in California cleared a large area around their place to help keep the fire away and it seems to help a lot. It is a bunch of work but it seems like it would be worth it. If you have a lot of trees close to your house, I dont know how much good it would do, I guess it just depends on the density around your house.

I live in a complex and we have natural defensive space. We have billboards here about defensable space in our town.
    Still, the Ponderosa Pine forest surrounds our town, and a wildfire is difficult to contain.
    KF7ZJR I always carry a pocket knife, just in Case.

In So Cal we get annual wildfires, and an occational earthquake to keep you on your toes. My plan is to bug in for as long as I can, then head North, way North where water, and game are a little more plentiful, (Snakes are good occationally, but a steady diet would put me in a foul mood). We have water, Food, and shelter where we are. Leaving that would be out of need. Wild fires pose an interesting problem. I have cleared about 50 feet on all sides of the house, and if we have to leave. Two four wheel drive vehicles, 30 gallons of water, 3 weeks worth of food, tents, sleeping bags, cand crank lights, should get us out of danger. The .357, 22, and 12 ga. would come along, as well as the ammo.