Thread: Idears on plant usage

Default Idears on plant usage

How can i know every plant and there use

A lifetime of intense study should get you about half way there.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Or carry a reference guide with you. Of course for EVERY plant that's gonna be pretty huge.

You really start one plant at a time and work your way through them. I find that drawing the plant allows you the opportunity to study the nuances of the plant parts. I started taking pictures but found it was really of no use. I started drawing them and that helps me concentrate on each part. It doesn't matter how good you are at drawing. You aren't looking for art awards. What you want to do is take the time to truly study the plant and drawing it will let you do that. You want to draw it during all four seasons of its life so you know what it looks like all year long. That might not be a problem in Nigeria but it certain is where winter and summer are drastically different seasons.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobed View Post
    How can i know every plant and there use
    I guess I don't feel the need to know every plant, knowing that would be an impossible task, and prefer to set reasonable and attainable goals.
    Depending on my location, and what the usage might be....I do prefer 'for sure' plants that can't be mistaken.

I would rather be absolutely sure on one plant, than take a chance on ten I'm not sure off.

Food, for 4 seasons.
    Medical also for four seasons, for my area.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm going to say that all plants and all uses in one lifetime is not possible. Even the plants and their uses in one area of the country,I'm thinking would be a tough job. We have a few members here that are more expert on the subject but I doubt that even they would tell you that it's a large task you're talking about in the OP. I go along with Hunter. I don't feel that I need to know em all. A general knowledge of the plants in my area and their dangers or uses works for me.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I'm learning the plants in my area 2 at a time, but never even thought to attempt to learn ALL plants worldwide or even in this country. There is new plants, bugs, and animals discovered within each year, so even after you die, you'd still be missing some.

Let's not forget that the OP is from Nigeria. There could well be a difference in the lexicon or English could be a second anguage.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I look for guides that say what plants I should find in my particular area and the environment. An example is a wildlife management area that I also camp at a lot. Dinner Island Ranch. They have a conceptual management plan for that area. It has a map on page 20 that shows the area and what type of environment you'll find in each area. Then it lists the type of plants that you will most commonly find in that environment. So since I camp in Prairie Hammock. All I have to do is read that section and learn those plants first. It narrows down the plants I most likely will need to find. Learn a couple each time you go out.

Here is an example of that list as it appears in the CMP:

1. Prairie Hammocks are a distinctive natural feature of the DIRWMA. These forests
    occupy slightly elevated sites and consist of a closed canopy association that contains
    both temperate and tropical hardwood species. The exact canopy composition varies
    considerably from site to site, but is generally composed of live oak (Quercus
    virginiana), laurel oak (Q. laurifolia), red bay (Persea borbonia), cabbage palm (Sabal
    palmetto), and South Florida slash pine (Pinus elliottii var. densa). A number of other
    species enter the canopy, including red mulberry (Morus rubra), Simpson’s stopper
    (Myrcianthes fragrans var simpsonii), gumbo-limbo (Bursera simaruba), willow bustic
    (Dipholis salicifolia), wild lime (Zanthoxylum fagara), and strangler fig (Ficus aurea).
    The subcanopy and understory elements include white stopper (Eugenia axillaries),
    coralbean (Erythrina herbacea), wild coffee (Psychotria undata), beautyberry
    (Callicarpa americana), bloodberry (Rivinia humilis), and dahoon holly (Ilex cassine).
    The ground flora of the Prairie Hammocks is very simple, consisting of warty panicum
    (Panicum verrucosum), woodsgrass (Oplismenus setarius), Guinea hen weed (Petiveria
    alliacea), and the exotic, caesarweed (Urena lobata). Vines and creepers are a consistent
    aspect of the hammock flora and include poison ivy (Taxicodendron radicans),
    sweetbrier (Smilax auriculata), Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia), foxgrape
    (Vitis rotundifolia), and Calusa grape (V. aestivalis). A notable addition to the typical
    inland hammock flora is the presence of a sizeable population of the tropical tree species,
    satinleaf (Chrysophyllum oliviforme). Large populations of sour orange (Citrus
    aurantium) and small, localized populations of guava (Psidium guajava) are present in
    some of the hammocks.

So I have a guide for exactly what to look for in those woods. Their are plenty of plants in these heads not listed and what is in the heads will vary as you move around from head to head. But, you'll get the predominate species.

Once you identify a plant then you can look for its uses in books and online. Just choose your sources carefully and never rely on one source.

It breaks the environments down:

1. Prairie Hammocks

2. Mesic Flatwoods

3. Strand Swamp

4. Wet Prairies

5. Depression Marshes

It lists mammals, fish, reptiles and amphibians, and birds (there are five pages of birds listed alone).

I have something similar for the everglades. Asking rangers and scientists that you run into for resources such as this or contact the land management organization directly. You can also usually volunteer time with biologists and get an education in return.

Anyone that would like to see that CMP I am referring to can download it: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...2mT6CbSr6eKmpw

The list starts on page 20-29 (which are labeled 10-19 but in acrobat come up as 20-29).

I would also be interested in reading these lists for other members areas. So, if you find something like this post it up to share.

I mean how do i begin or to study the use plant

Sobed - I realize there may be a bit of a language barrier, but in your 14 posts you're asked just about the same question 14 times.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel