Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking to move into the wilderness and live off of the land?

We've had a number of posts, some lately, that talk about supporting those that want to do this very thing. We should be embracing these talent searches, IMHO, instead of berating them. Whether payment is made or not is between those that choose to participate and those putting the shows together. If someone is interested then go for it. At least take the time to discuss with her and find out the details. I would LOVE to see a show of YCC and beekeeping, asemery on net making or many of you on knife making. Folks like SD, Wildwoman and others bring a lot to the table in this type of setting.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

What is happening here? I have never seen you guys side with one of these scams, espically after the Doomsday Prepper fiasco.

Hey Joe, get a little closer to the edge of the cliff, you'll enjoy the trip down and you will learn all kinds of new things about bowel evacuation!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    I'll do it if I get full final edit rights. But not if it is some producer wants to tell me what to say and do.
    Sourdough has an excellent point. Shows have to sell, so usually, no matter how skilled or down to earth the participants actually are, the scenes get edited in such a way and underlaid with a commentary that creates a false sense of danger for the viewer. Same is true for most books and articles about wilderness living.

Most publishers, movie makers and TV people want to portray wilderness as a tough, dangerous place to live where you can fall prey to a bear (and the wolves, of course!) at any given moment, where building a cabin is pretended to be this amazing, almost impossible to duplicate feat, where you have to be constantly on edge - because unfortunately, that kind of stuff sells, although it's far removed from reality. In reality, wilderness living is no more dangerous (I'd say it's a lot less dangerous) than living in a city, and IMO overall less challenging (if you have the basic set of skills which is easy to come by). But that's not what people want to hear.
    Actions speak louder than words

It is what it is. I've never had a problem with a producer coming on here. I often have problems with some of the clientele that go on the show. Especially the Doomsday stuff for all the reasons previously posted. WW is right. You have to go in with your eyes open but I wouldn't call it a scam. It's a TV show. No different that Operation Repo or WWE. It's staged for TV and entertainment via advertising dollars. Not for education.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Okay, I surrender.

Attention members. Any member wanting to try to get on this program go for it. Be advised, however, of the following:

1.) You probably won't get paid.

2.) There's a very good chance you're going to come off looking like an idiot.

3.) If you show off all of your survival preps the Government as well as really bad people are more than likely taking notes!

Now, if you still wish to go on you have my blessing and I'm wishing you the best of luck! At least you might know what to expect!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    What is happening here? I have never seen you guys side with one of these scams, espically after the Doomsday Prepper fiasco.

Hey Joe, get a little closer to the edge of the cliff, you'll enjoy the trip down and you will learn all kinds of new things about bowel evacuation!
    It's like this Kyrat...good entertainment is hard to come by these days!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Blog Entries

If they had their heads out of their butts the producers would interview people like myself, WildWoman, Dogman, and many others.

They can't interview them if you only crap about their shows here and don't contact them. It's kind of like winning the lottery......it helps to buy a ticket.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

As several have noted, these "reality" shows are about entertainment in a show business medium. It is not called "show business" for nothing. It is a business to make money.

The very premise of "story telling" -- and the reality shows also "tell a story" but in a different format than a standard dramatic or comedy teeeveee show or movie -- involves constant conflict and resolution, with a beginning, middle, and end. Therefore, if there is no conflict between the participants (actors), there is no resolution, therefore nothing but boring instruction, and that ain't hardly gonna sell in a teeeveee market.

A prime example is the myriad You Tube "instructional" videos on "Hi guys. Here's how to build a fire, sling a tarp, build a shelter, test a knife/axe, boil a pot of water, tie a square knot, ..." ad infinitum, ad nauseum. A tremendous number of them are so boring and repetitious they can easily act as an effective sleeping pill.

The production company filming a "reality" show is filming it to make money, not to educate people how to bust around out in the boonies. That's why they are written, directed, and controlled with a shooting schedule, at a professional level.

If a person wants to be on teeeveee and is willing to participate, the producers will accomodate him ... or her. But it is going to be within the producer's, director's, and writer's format, not the participant's.

No show producer is going to make a "boring" show if he can help it. Without that previously determined and directed "conflict and resolution" and staged scenarios between his actors and their environment, he's just making more expensive, but as boring, You Tude videos.

Obviously those of us who love to bust around out in the boonies can watch a reality show and scream at the teeeveee set, "THAT'S THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT!!! THAT'S DOWNRIGHT STUPID!! YOU'LL DIE DOING THAT STUFF THAT WAY!!!" Well and good, but again, be aware the show is nothing more than entertainment. If you want "instruction" go to You Tube, or buy some of the instructional videos from Ron Hood's company, or Les Stroud, or Ray Mears, or Mors K., etc. If you want a good laugh, watch the reality shows and always keep in mind, it's Show Business.

If one doesn't want to watch a particular show, just remember where the "Off" button is on the remote.

As I posted earlier, many people want to be on teeeveee, so I have no doubt that Liz, the OP, will receive many responses to her offer. I hope her company is successful. Afterall, I'm a strict capitalist.

S.M.
    Last edited by Seniorman; 07-12-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Correct typo.

And most are independent film producers trying to sell an idea to a network. If it doesn't have entertainment value then it won't sell in Peoria. No one will salute it if you run it up the flagpole. After all, it's not rocket science. You just have to hit the ground running and get your ducks in a row. Sorry, I was just blue skying it there for a minute.

Wow do ya think maybe a couple of more buzz words would help.....?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Wow do ya think maybe a couple of more buzz words would help.....?
    Hunter might be interested if he could co-star with Ruth!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Did I mention that I think Ruth is Hot!...lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter
    ya think maybe a couple of more buzz words would help.....?

Naw. I wouldn't want to shoot the puppy or appear to be bottom fishing. I was just trying to give a heads up to the desk jockeys about the shows. You don't think I shifted any paradigms do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

Naw. I wouldn't want to shoot the puppy or appear to be bottom fishing. I was just trying to give a heads up to the desk jockeys about the shows. You don't think I shifted any paradigms do you?
    Nah. I'd say you're creating a new synergy with your outside the box thinking that should bring a good ROI with the distinct possibility that such forward looking ideas could cause this place to go viral, which of course would result in 24/7 branding that could be leveraged into a unique market position.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well shut the front door,!..... Don't drink the cool aid.....I hope you stayed on the page, cause you are out of the lines.....Buzz, buzz,buzz....OMG.

'Zactly. That's what the TV producers do. It's their bread and butter.

Those guys and gals are just the salt of the earth.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Cool My turn...

T'was Brillig, and the slithy troves did gyre and gimble in the wabe...
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

why outsource the talent? you all should do your own show