Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival & 100 Proof Alcohol (Do they mix?)

Default Survival & 100 Proof Alcohol (Do they mix?)

This is probably going to be one of the most controversial videos I will ever post. This is NOT medical advice by any means, I would tell you to do your own research and see what works out best for you before putting alcohol of any proof in your kit. This video is intended to be a show of what I carry out in the woods with me and to express MY opinion. I cannot be held responsible for what you do with this information. The opinions I express in this video are not for everyone and are not intended as a learning tool. It hurts like hell when you pour alcohol on an open wound but I figure if you have a deep cut you're already in pain and bleeding, so you'll need to suck it up, clean it up, and wrap it up. As well as seeking medical attention ASAP. As far as alcohol poisoning from pouring drinking alcohol pretty much directly into your blood stream goes, I feel like it's not enough to cause any problems even with the stronger alcohols unless you are allergic to alcohol. I don't know for sure but it might have an added effect to it as well, maybe taking some of the pain away for a short time. If you do decide to take a look into this I've heard that you want to use clear vodka, no coloring or flavoring, and as close to pure alcohol as you can find meaning the strong stuff. I would advise doing your own research. Hope you enjoyed watching!

Guessing your a left handed guitar player?...As far as booze goes it might work on your skin but it plays hell on a wounded heart...You can use booze like a tool but only if your strong enough.

I always take alcohol when I go out. Strictly for drinking around the fire at nights.

Well, maybe some brandy in my coffee in the AM too. Takes the chill out.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Back in my previous life, factory days....we had a large contingent of workers from Yugoslavia, and they seems to prefer "Slivovitz", a plum brandy.
    The medical properties seemed to include most anything you could think of up to and including the regrowth of limbs......according to them.

To me it tasted like helicopter fuel, not that I'm in the habit of drinking helicopter fuel....but I can imagine that's what it would taste like.
    Anyway, if it did indeed have these properties, I guess I can see where it would be of use.....but personally I do tend to avoid the carrying and use of alcohol when out and about, at least till I'm back in camp and relaxing.

That said, historic reference to early sailors, soldiers, and i would imagine most any one that ventured out into the unknown to carry spirits of some sort, mostly as the water was not real good.
    Days/nights were hard, so I can see where the properties may have made their days a little better.
    http://www.axfordsabode.org.uk/spirit.htm

First aid kits today, should have much better items in them for cleaning, and disinfection wounds, but if some one was to carry liquor, that would be a personnel preference.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I carry alcohol wipes because I can use them to disinfect or as a fire starter. Drinking alcohol....mmm.....no. It's has no place in survival, which is what the OP title refers to.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Being from Kentucky and TN, and a historian, I can guarentee you that within one year after TEOTWAWKI folks from my area will be shipping product to all places in the Mississippi drainage area. At least that was the way it worked the first time they built a nation in these parts.

There was a time when alcahol was about the only disinfectant or painkiller available. There has been many a mangled limb amputated after the patient passed out from a liberal dose of alcahol.

Corn liquer and tobacco, the mainstays of market agriculture.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I carry alcohol wipes because I can use them to disinfect or as a fire starter. Drinking alcohol....mmm.....no. It's has no place in survival, which is what the OP title refers to.
    I agree bubba, drinking with friends camping in my eyes is a good time but I would not drink while I'm trying to get out of a problem like survival. I did read that it causes tissue damage but like I said in the video it's a last resort so I guess I wouldn't really care as long as I can get it clean without infection setting in. I'd rather have alittle tissue damage than the doctors having to remove a limb because of infection.

Quote Originally Posted by brotherjohn View Post
    Guessing your a left handed guitar player?...As far as booze goes it might work on your skin but it plays hell on a wounded heart...You can use booze like a tool but only if your strong enough.
    No lol, I'm handicapped so I can't really cut my nails on my left hand. I useally get someone else to do them or I just bite them off lol.

If it works for you then it works for me. Bacitracin or Neosporin would be a better choice for small cuts and abrasions. For deeper cuts I wouldn't apply anything (excluding arterial bleeds here). Just a pressure dressing and head for the local med check or ER or your family physician, whichever is appropriate and available. The doctor will assess how dirty the cut is and prescribe antibiotics if appropriate. They clean a wound out pretty well. Unfortunately, been there done that as they say. But again, if it works for you......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I carry a flask of rum, mostly because it is traditional, for water purification. It will kill bacteria with about 1 part to 25. Any form of liquor will work.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If it simply is not your day, all attempts at every survival effort fail and you wind up dead there is the possibility that your body could be sealed in a keg of rum for preservation and transport back home.

Worked for Admiral Lord Nelson.

Legend has it that the opened the keg, burried the Admiral and drank the rum.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I would genuinely like to see a source on the rum and water thingy. I've never read or heard of that.

Not sure about rum purifying water, but if I consume enough I probably wouldn't care.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hunter63, that "Slivovitz" you speak of is VERY popular in the Slovak Republic (formerly part of Czechoslovakia) also. I do not drink, so when there all I could observe was the results (stupefying to consumers of said product) and its appearance (looks like it could self-ignite, strip paint from walls, et cetera). I have tasted jet fuel by accident more times than I care to remember – it is not something I wish to ever do again! As for making alcohol after a TEOTWAWKI event, from raw products that cannot be used for food, why not? Alcohol has far too many uses (fuel, light source, disinfectant, cleaning solvent, et cetera) other than for stupefying oneself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I would genuinely like to see a source on the rum and water thingy. I've never read or heard of that.
    Read "War on the Run". It goes into detail about how Rogers Rangers were equipped during the French and Indian War. At the time, medicine was not as well understood as today, but it was understood that there was stuff in the water that would make you sick, and alcohol didn't have the same issues.

Rum was distilled in New England from Molasses that was brought in from the West Indies, but any form of hard liquor will do. The rum was then exported or consumed locally. I'm sure you've read about the consumption of rum on ships.

When you think about it, it makes sense and the only issue is proportions. Today we know more and there are water purification methods that are more efficient by unit of volume. I still like the rum idea because of the history and the fact that it is easier to find a liquor store than a camping supply store.

Actually, it was drank instead of water. Also, water in the U.S. did not have the same issues it has today. Crypto and Giardia are the result of widespread domesticated animals (cattle and lamb) that brought the diseases from Europe. They, in turn, infected beavers and other wild animals. Rogers Rangers did not have to worry about either.

As for rum carried on ships, it was a form of payment to compensate not just for the work but for the squalid conditions and terrible food. It started as wine and beer in Europe but beer spoiled and wine turned to vinegar in hot latitudes. Once ships began making "regular" runs to the Caribbean they discovered rum, which didn't spoil or convert to vinegar. It also was distilled at 140 proof so we aren't talking the same rum we enjoy today.

Alcohol, in the form of grog and mead usually, was consumed throughout Europe because of bad water. While it might kill bacteria (I have no idea one way or the other) it won't kill protozoan cysts. Some Crypto is even resistant to chlorine.

Quote Originally Posted by WY21lmb View Post
    Hunter63, that "Slivovitz" you speak of is VERY popular in the Slovak Republic (formerly part of Czechoslovakia) also. I do not drink, so when there all I could observe was the results (stupefying to consumers of said product) and its appearance (looks like it could self-ignite, strip paint from walls, et cetera). I have tasted jet fuel by accident more times than I care to remember – it is not something I wish to ever do again! As for making alcohol after a TEOTWAWKI event, from raw products that cannot be used for food, why not? Alcohol has far too many uses (fuel, light source, disinfectant, cleaning solvent, et cetera) other than for stupefying oneself.
    Took a jug to rendezvous once.......the mountain men wouldn't drink much of it,.... even there.........But yeah was very popular with some of our guys.....LOL
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Alcohol (in small doses) as a means of countering - for a short time - the stresses of survival, sure. As always, it should be consumed under an adequate shelter, close to an adequate fire, after consuming an adequate meal.

Alcohol (in any dose) in any situation other than the above, nope. I mean, I like my beer as well as anyone -- and possibly better than some -- but there's no way I'm gonna rely on it for anything other than that described above.

With that said, I strongly second the opinion that alcohol won't do much in the way of making water safe to drink. At best, it may facilitate the short-term failure to care about the consequences of what one drinks.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 07-12-2012 at 04:45 PM.

After a long day of humpin' your home around, a couple shots to soften up old bones makes sleeping under a bridge seem like Caesars Palace or so Ive been told

Blog Entries

Cool well now...

"I'm writing in this journal because I have somehow gotten myself lost in the woods. I have no gear but a nice fifth of "Jack" to help keep me warm. Maybe I should have brought a canteen of water and some food but my "Jack" will get me by. Starting to get cooler, will take a snort to fight off the cold!"

Two hours and a fourth of the bottle of Jack has passed since my last entry. Feeling better, miss my Mp-3!

For hoursss have goon by and I'n doin okay! Still got a half booze of bottle let..er..uh..lef...er uh...still there.

I lost my witch...er...uh...watch and don't know how ling I've been loose and what's more I don't shiv a git! The dab thingg is that I'm outa fooze! Oh wook at the kute puddy tat! Here wittle kitty, my, my that's some big growl for such a cute puddy tat! ARGHHH!!!!"

Last edited by Sarge47; 07-12-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin