Thread: 10 Mile kayak trip

Default 10 Mile kayak trip

A trip I went on to clear my mind when I was down in the dumps last month. Don't know if i'd call this a survival trip, although I didn't bring any food, and just enough water to keep me from shrivling up and dying. 2 days 1 night, 10 miles by water. I set up camp in some Arundo donax t
    hat had some washed up crap like a table and bench. I brought a knife, machete, Ferro rod, single shot .22 with a couple rounds, tin can for catching and cooking bugs/ boiling water, a bag, book, and small fishing kit(just some 550, hooks, and split shot). After setting up a fire and "camp" I went out in the fields hoping for some wild asparagus and grasshoppers. I took my .22 just in case, and good thing I did becaus I immediately jumped a rabbit. First shot was all I needed to drop him. (guess you shoot better when you don't have food). I cleaned him up, lit my fire and hung him over it. I saved the entrails for setting up a stakeout line, which I set up while he was cooking. I had a decently peaceful and serene night despite the coons and other critters coming up to me checking me out. I woke up with nothing on my line, disassembled it, and headed back to get on my way to my destination. I made it there, loaded my kayak up in my truck and headed back home.

Camp

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Hunting area, and the rabbit.

Setting up the stakeout

Night

Last edited by RandyRhoads; 07-10-2012 at 04:07 AM.

Randy - If that was last month then it put you outside the California rabbit season (July 1 to January). And I know many of the rivers in California have some strict seasons on them for sport fishing. Some are even closed year round. I'm not much on poaching regardless of the animal. That's why I carry food with me. Otherwise, it looks like you had a good time and some nice weather.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Jackrabbits are all year, cottontails are the ones with a season. I don't poach animals...anymore. And while i'm guessing the stakeout line violated some rule about too many hooks (?) I also had a valid fishing license. Stripers, catfish, and panfish are plentiful and very legal and open on the delta.

It was a good way to get some away time to straighten my head out.

Thanks for the explanation. I do appreciate it. I really understand about getting away. I've been out once this year and I'm going stir crazy. It will be a couple of more months before I can get out and enjoy some woods time. Nice area you were in.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I really hope you can get back to it soon and enjoy it, it does wonders. I do like the delta but i'd like somewhere with less of the nasty footprints left by man. Some woods time sounds good, but I have to drive a ways for that.

I'm glad you got some time in the bush. It does do a body, and mind, good.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Good trip.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for taking us along, I can just feel that cozy camp feeling.....yeah, does wonders for the soul.

Hope it helped......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think finding the table there is just crazy. My last outing I hiked through a couple of miles of woods and about a 1/4 mile of scrub brush only to find a picnic table sitting next to the water. In the middle of no where. The water was down about 10 feet. The only thing I can figure is it floated in and got left when the water went down. It was a WTF moment for sure but I made good use of it.

Yeah,Weird, Huh?
    I have a collection of garbage barrels from little towns up river,(names are prined on them) out at "The Place", they wash up in my lower field when it floods.

I hiked in to a hunting spot, quite a ways, in 8" of snow, kicked a spot to put my feet when sitting on a log....to find a Zippo lighter, had a SS number on it, but I really didn't have a way back then (What?...No interweb?), to look up the owner....so I sent it back to Zippo...never did hear what happened to it..
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Nice jack rabbit. There is no season here for them either. Plus you don't need a license. It is always nice to get out and clear the head.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

That poor rabbit looks injured. You should have rendered first aid.

Paracord is not an FDA approved cooking utensil!

The prints you took a picture of on the beach look familiar. I think we have that kind of animal. If I remember right they can be annoying and sometimes dangerous. But, a smack across the nose with a stout stick will usually get them headed out...

Cool trip! Thanks for sharing the pics!