Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamel's General Discussion

The serrated edge was just for looks lol. and if youre talking about the metal around the fire, sadly it was already there and i wish i could take credit. lol. but yah this place is great, but thanks sarge and everyone else. I might just keep posting stuff in my thread as I go along instead of making alot of threads. Yah were definitely getting fishing licenses, she gets her for free from the reservation mines 38. Good notherners in that lake.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Positive Rep sent!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Bump, Celtic, if you read this, Have you used the Venture 6 tool? (http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...ure%206%20Tool) Is the axe and saw blade reasonably sharp? Im going to guess yes, since you recommended it. also, to attach the different heads, do they pop on and off, screw on and off?

I think I might pick this up to.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...hone%20Adapter

seems like a decent deal.

and water purification

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...e%20of%2020%29
    Last edited by Kamel; 07-17-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Dieing is easy, Living is the hard part.
    Rock the 40oz, its the change that counts.
    Life is a grave and I dig it.

The Katadyn pills take 4 hours to work in clear water. Turbid and/or cold will take longer. They use Chlorine Dioxide and they are great if you can treat your water overnight or if you are allergic to iodine. They don't leave a taste in the water. However, if you are on the move or want your water treated quicker then go with Potable Aqua. They use Titrable Iodine and take 30 minutes in clear water, longer if turbid or cold. If you don't like the iodine taste you can add something like Tang or other powdered drinks to the water AFTER it has been treated.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wow $38! Non-Resident? Around here the fish come with mercury poisoning warnings from streams and rivers with water unfit to drink...but people have lush weed free lawns...UTOPIA!

Yep "non-resident" even tho ive lived here for a year. Alrighty Rick, Ive added to my cart instead

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    Bump, Celtic, if you read this, Have you used the Venture 6 tool? (http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...ure%206%20Tool) Is the axe and saw blade reasonably sharp? Im going to guess yes, since you recommended it. also, to attach the different heads, do they pop on and off, screw on and off?

I think I might pick this up to.

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...hone%20Adapter

seems like a decent deal.

and water purification

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...e%20of%2020%29
    It isn't the best tool for any of the specific jobs, like any multi-tool, but it is serviceable for each. The unit I have may be slightly different than the one available now, but the axe and shovel blades did not come sharpened. I sharpened mine when I got them, several years ago, and they have worked fine since. I regularly resharpen all my tools after each outing when they have been used. On mine, the different heads pop on and off using a pressure pin. You push it into the handle, through the hole in the tool head, and that detaches the head so you can put a new one on. My unit came with axe/hammer head, shovel blade, saw blade, and long knife/spear blade interchangable heads. This one doesn't list the knife/spear, but it looks identical otherwise, so it is probably the same. For a multi-tool, it is a really good little unit and has some extras like bottle opener/nail puller notches on the tool heads for added versatility. I don't abuse it and it has cut wood, sawed branches and dug trenches/holes for me for years now. It rattles a bit, because the pins have gotten a little loose over time, but it still holds up. I wouldn't say throw away your good Gerber hatchet or something, but if you are looking at a minimalist approach that has full functionality, it is much like carrying a Leatherman or SAK. Certainly carrying a separate knife, can opener, screwdriver set and so on would give you better quality tools, but it would also take up more room and weigh a whole lot more. For what it is, this thing has been a decent addition to my pack for a long time. The quality is what you would expect from a 'made in china' product, but overall it's a pretty good tool, and when it finally fails I figure I'll go buy another one. I got my $13 bucks (or whatever I paid for it) out of it a long time ago.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Awesome. Ill be getting one then. Then I can give back the plastic folding camp saw and wont have to ask about a good hatchet to carry along with. Recommend a good field sharpener?

We have lush weed free lawns (or did before the drought) and the runoff goes directly in the lake. The fish are tested and so far no problems. No limits on who or how much eaten. It makes a difference in how you do stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Rick, better get me a Mora Robust ready :P I had a few things in my cart but i guess it doesnt save for that long

The thing about lush, green lawns is that they are a great filter to keep things OUT of the water supply. Used properly, fertilizers will not harm the water supply. When it comes to fertilizers and pesticides the old saying "if a little bit is good, more is better" is not true.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

What kind of pain reliever is recommended to take along? Advil, ibuprofen, tylenol?

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmm, well now...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    What kind of pain reliever is recommended to take along? Advil, ibuprofen, tylenol?
    On my "Homework" thread you said that you couldn't get out to do the assignment, so now go on line and do your homework! Study what each med is used for, here's the 1st one: ibuprofen is used for kidney ailments and excessive use can lead to liver damage. Now the rest is up to you!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

ahh, good idea. I just wanted something for burns and cuts. So ill look into it

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The thing about lush, green lawns is that they are a great filter to keep things OUT of the water supply. Used properly, fertilizers will not harm the water supply. When it comes to fertilizers and pesticides the old saying "if a little bit is good, more is better" is not true.
    Many lawn fertilizers are now sold that are phosphorus-free, which makes them safe for the water supply and prevent runoff from feeding algae blooms. When looking on the bag, there are 3 numbers (i.e.: 25-0-4 or 10-10-10). The first is nitrogen, the second is phosphorus, and the third is potassium. Starter fertilizers for helping lawns start growing from seed and develop new roots, or agricultural fertilizers for farm use (usually the ones that have 3 of the same number, like 10-10-10, 12-12-12, 19-19-19) are allowed to have phosphorus, but many states have made laws to only allow phosphate-free lawn fertilizers to protect the water supplies.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Kamal - Apririn, Ibuprofen and Tylenol (acetominiphen) are different medications designed to do different things. You need to understand what each does and how it does it in order to evaluate its place in your kit.

Aspirin is a nonsteroidal anti-inflamatory (NSAID) but works much differently than other NSAIDs. While it is effective in pain relief the best application for it today is probably as a preventative for heart attacks and strokes. it works well at controlling fever and pain in adults but can cause Reye's Syndrome in children. If you have gout or kidney disease, don't use it because it restricts the kidney's ability to excrete uric acid. It can also increase the risk of intestinal bleeding.

Ibuprofen, another NSAID, works really well to reduce pain and inflamation as well as fever. It works very well on menstrual cramps and strained muscles. That's why it's used in products like Midol. It can be a problem for folks taking other NSAIDS, have ulcers, drink, smoke or have high blood pressure. Ibuprofen can increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes under certain conditions.

Acetominiphen will also reduce pain and fever but has no impact on swelling. If you drink then this one isn't a good choice for you because it can cause liver damage.

Aspirin it is! lol thanks rick "The more you knooooow"

Oh hi there.

PICT0330.jpg

Looks like someone found those 35mm film canisters.

Yep the guy asked what they were for, and i put the cotton balls and Vaseline and i said "These". he didnt have anything to say after that. prolly got weird thoughts.