Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kamel's General Discussion

Question Kamel's General Discussion

The following is copy and pasted from a different forum

Hey /trv/ going camping with my girlfriend. Yah just camping at a campground but Im making a back pack filled with survival essentials, for just in case emergencies which ill keep in the car. im on a budget and try to go cheap so, links to cheap stuff is appreciated.

What i have:
    waterproof matches
    Knife, just a regular lockblade
    2 ponchos
    Emergency Blanket
    3 person tent (in the van not pack)
    Queen size air mattress (in van)
    hand Pump (may borrow a battery pump, in van)
    Mosquitoe repellant coils and spray repellant
    Glow sticks
    4 plastic utensils of spoons, knifes and spoons
    Baggies

What I want:
    Folding shovel and pick
    Hatchet
    saw
    Paracord (links to cheap but good stuff would be nice)
    Multi-tool
    Flint and starter i plan on getting soon.
    MRE's. i have an army surplus in town so no problem there except theyre 8 bucks a meal
    Handcrank flashlight (anyone have opinions on handcrank cell phone chargers and long it takes?)

Anything else? I plan on also bringing granola bars and other assorted foods in the pack.

I live in Minnesota and im from texas, so im new to snow, so if i ever get a bad wreck in the winter, i wanna be ready if im in the middle of no where. thanks guys. if this belongs somewhere else lemme know.

Also im kinda drunk, so sorry for bad grammar or errors. also for the mattress I have a comforter and sheet in a duffel bag in the back seat, also 2 jackets, 1 leather 1 windbreaker. And a basket of clothes, shirts, boxers and pants, for wet moments. Also I have a cooler, a grill, charcoal and lighter fluid.
    Im also gunna borrow a propane stove, 2 stove top and 2 propane tanks, tiny coleman ones

*insert member post here with suggestions*

well the folding shovel is also why i want it, to dig out snow. but yah the air mattress was only 25 bucks on sale at dunhams sports, i hid it behind some other thing cause it was on clearance and wanted to double check with the woman before i bought it, sat in the same spot for 2 days haha. good deal id say. we carry a cell phone and ipod touch. any good apps for survival? thats why i asked about hand crank cell chargers. fix a flat is a good idea, thanks. Also note, im banned from walmart, so dont tell me to go there lol unless its that good, my gf can go in and get it.

I hate having a van but turning it into a RV is so easy. take the 2 back seats out. blow up a mattress add some mosquitoe netting to windows, BAM.

Tools Ive been meaning to get, but i dont want to get a 200 piece set for 25 bucks, ive had to change my starter and alternator in the last 3 months and its not fun with those sets.

thanks for suggestions, keep em coming

Banned

I read something like, "The more you know, the less you need to carry."

Quote Originally Posted by dizralph View Post
    I read something like, "The more you know, the less you need to carry."
    yah true, thats why Im packing the van and the back pack. Van for the bigger stuff incase of a wreck, and back pack for trekking

Perhaps something this important would warrant working on it when sober. After the hangover subsides you might want to give it another look and let us know if that's what you really have.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Perhaps something this important would warrant working on it when sober. After the hangover subsides you might want to give it another look and let us know if that's what you really have.
    lol, i wasnt that drunk. That is the stuff I have currently lol

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

I don't see a "hong" listed.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Wet paint, Wet Paint, Wet paint.
    Good luck with that.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Personally I don't believe there are other forums, but for the sake of argument.....What kind of answers did you get on that other forum?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

All you need to survive in the wild with your women is a hong! You put it on, and once she see's your raw animal magnetism, she will forage for sandwitches, build all of the campfires, find all of the wood, and be your women slave as long as you are wearing that hong! Just ask Rick if you dont beleive me

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

If you are packing for an off road wreck in a MN winter, most of that stuff doesn't apply. Once it gets to snowing, put a snow shovel in the van. A folding shovel really wont move much snow. Put a pair of winter boots in the back, even if you are just going to the store. Get a pair just to leave in the van because really, you need them when you least expect it. Coat, hats, gloves, chemical hand warmers, and a crank flashlight should also be standard winter gear that you should keep in your vehicle all winter long.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

How long is the trip? What kind of weather are you expecting? How 'rough' is your girlfriend willing to go when camping? (I'd guess not very since you have the air mattress and all). What kind of campground (State/federal, or KOA/Family private)?

In a private campground, there are usually stores and such to get extra stuff if you need it. If it is a state/federal then you probably have nothing but an ice machine and firewood sales up at the host or the office, so you have to pack in everything you need.

Here are my suggestions:

What i have:
    waterproof matches (These are ok, but sometimes hard to strike. A good refillable Zippo lighter would be better in the long run)
    Knife, just a regular lockblade (Both of you should carry a knife, just in case)
    2 ponchos (Emergency ponchos are pretty flimsy, but good for a day pack. A cheap rain suit can be had for $5 or so at the Dollar General/Family Dollar type stores)
    Emergency Blanket (Again, good for day packs, but they won't hold up past a day or two of use. You might be better getting a thicker thermal blanket with grommets)
    3 person tent (in the van not pack) (Good choice. Make sure you have a decently large rainfly or tarp to put over it if it storms. Most flys are too small and rain gets in with wind)
    Queen size air mattress (in van) (Make sure you have plenty of patch kits)
    Mosquitoe repellant coils and spray repellant (Coils to very little, same with candles. Get some good lotion/DEET, and a couple of cans of OFF ground fogger spray.)
    Glow sticks (Again, good for emergency use since they don't use batteries, but they only last a few hours. Get a couple of cheap LED flashlights for daily use)
    4 plastic utensils of spoons, knifes and spoons (Not bad, but they will break quickly. Check REI's website for the 4 pack of Sporks for $10. Lexan will last a lifetime.
    Baggies (Don't cheap out here. Get quart and gallon name brand FREEZER bags. They will last longer and be much more durable for every use.)

What I want:
    Folding shovel and pick (Here is a good version for packing. Relatively cheap, good multi-tool capability. http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_...ure%206%20Tool ) This also takes care of the next two items off your list, all for $16 bucks. Not bad.
    Hatchet
    saw
    Paracord (links to cheap but good stuff would be nice) (Any army surplus, or http://knives.budk.com/search?w=paracord )
    Multi-tool (Depends on the tools you are looking for, but a nice Leatherman Wave or Surge is good. Cheap versions like Husky can be found at Home Depot and such.)
    Flint and starter i plan on getting soon. (http://knives.budk.com/search?w=fire...iker&asug=fire or http://firesteel.com/ )
    MRE's. i have an army surplus in town so no problem there except theyre 8 bucks a meal (You'd be better off with dehydrated. http://beprepared.com/quickshoplist....ouse%20Pouches )
    Handcrank flashlight (anyone have opinions on handcrank cell phone chargers and long it takes?) (Any sporting good dept. like walmart, kmart, target, etc. has these.)
    Anything else? I plan on also bringing granola bars and other assorted foods in the pack. (Quaker granola bars, slim jims, hard candies, MIO drink flavoring, etc. are all good)
    Also for the mattress I have a comforter and sheet in a duffel bag in the back seat, also 2 jackets, 1 leather 1 windbreaker. And a basket of clothes, shirts, boxers and pants, for wet moments. Also I have a cooler, a grill, charcoal and lighter fluid. (For Minnesota fall/winter camping, you better take a LOT more warm clothing and blankets. I'd put in at least 2 more wool blend blankets, a decent double-person sleeping bag, some long johns, hunting socks, and decent cold/wet weather outerwear with liners, including mittens and hats/balaclavas. Decent waterproof/insulated boots for outside and a pair of camp mocs or slippers would probably be a good idea to round off the list. Check your local Mil Surplus store or go to http://sportsmansguide.com/sitemap/MilitaryHQ.asp for some decent deals on good military gear on the cheap.)
    Im also gunna borrow a propane stove, 2 stove top and 2 propane tanks, tiny coleman ones (Make sure you also get some starter gel, since propane stoves, esp small ones, are usually finicky when it comes to starting in colder weather. Keep the fuel in an area that is warmer than the outside temps in winter.
    Well the folding shovel is also why i want it, to dig out snow. (The small E-Tools like the one I linked can do the job if needed, but you would be better off with http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Subzer...374817-9572442 with its bigger scoop and longer handle length.)

Hope that helps. Good luck on the camping trip.
    "A free citizenry should never abide a government that seeks control over it's people rather than service to them"

Unless I missed it, I saw no mention of water purification.... Or water at all, for that matter.
    That's kinda an important one.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Awesome thanks guys. The other forum I only got 1 response. Idk about a hong, haha. shes native american 100% and loves camping, I bought the air mattress cause it was cheaper than 2/1 big sleeping bags. Water purification I totally forgot about lol stupid. Thanks for the link to the multi tool (shovel, axe and saw)

our camping trips will prolly be from 2 days to 1 week at camp grounds but me and buddy plan on going back packing, he's a scout leader so he knows a bit more.

The winter clothing tips are appreciated, ill get those packed when I have more money in october.

Anyway I added more to my HAVE list today

Folding saw (borrowing)
    I got the propane stove
    A swiss army knife.
    LED headlamp and 1 cheap flashlight

Also on this 2 day camping trip. its our first together so ill see how she is outdoors haha. I was planning on mucking around the wood and making a shelter just for the fun of it.

See? I told you things would look different when you sobered up.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

lol, thanks rick. "the more you know" :P

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Celticwarrior View Post
    3 person tent (in the van not pack) (Good choice. Make sure you have a decently large rainfly or tarp to put over it if it storms. Most flys are too small and rain gets in with wind)
    Regarding CW's comment - you already have the tent and most of the gear, and obviously I don't know what quality it is. But one piece of advise I have add: buy good equipment. If you find out on this trip or the next trip with your buddy that any of your gear isn't waterproof, weighs a ton or is flimsy to the point of uselessness, replace it as you can.
    Decent gear doesn't actually cost the world, you can get a good tent that doesn't need an extra tarp over the fly for not that much more money than you pay for Coleman cr**. www.mec.ca for example has good gear, so does the Sierra Trading Post. Same goes for sleeping bags and pads, also the weight of a backpack and boots can make a huge difference in how much energy you're wasting on a trip. It doesn't have to be fancy top of the line stuff, just don't buy camping gear at Wal-Mart (not assuming that you did, but I know that people do ).
    Enjoy.
    Actions speak louder than words

Like I said, im banned from walmart (theft for mucinex cause i had bronchitis and was broke, 10 dollars i stole, banned forever. they got it back to. w/e lol) Ive got mot of my stuff from:

http://www.dunhamssports.com/
    http://www.gandermountain.com/
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/

all 3 are local stores, big corporations but in my town

Hopefully, a lesson learned. Anyway....

When you go camping keep a list of the things you have but didn't use and things you needed but didn't have. Add to your gear from the didn't have list. Do that each time you go out and before long you'll have a pack that is right for you. Any of us can tell you what you need based on our experience and location but you need to build a pack that is right for you. Tailored to your knowledge, skills and geography.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    Like I said, im banned from walmart (theft for mucinex cause i had bronchitis and was broke, 10 dollars i stole, banned forever. they got it back to. w/e lol) Ive got mot of my stuff from:

http://www.dunhamssports.com/
    http://www.gandermountain.com/
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/

all 3 are local stores, big corporations but in my town
    First, stealing is bad, so I hope you learned your lesson. Second, If you ever need medicine there are always local charities that will help like Loaves and Fishes, Catholic Charities, Salvation Army and so on. Do you have any friends, like perhaps your GF, that can go into Walmart? If so have them/her check out what you might need and have them/her buy them/it for you. You can also order from Walmart online at Walmart.com. Just some ideas, hope they help.
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-09-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Do you have any friends, like perhaps your GF, that can go into Walmart? If so have them/her check out what you might need and have them/her buy them/it for you. You can also order from Walmart online at Walmart.com.
    Noooooooo, do not waste any money on crappy gear from Walmart and the likes when you can get equipment that actually works for more than two days for similar money from many camping stores!
    Don't be like the dude at the campground this spring who came over to my campsite and asked me if my tent was waterproof. He'd spent around $130 for a Coleman tent at some supermarket bargain store and then had to spend another $20 for a tarp to keep the bloody thing dry. His jaw dropped to his toes when I told him that my 15-year old tent has never leaked. He was totally amazed that there are tents out there that don't require a flappy blue platic tarp to be strung over them.
    Actions speak louder than words