Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What things do you do to save money?

Frank - Good solid urban skills and some nice perks from the job! A word about Gatoraide. Check the package, they are loaded with carbohydrates. That's one of the reasons they taste so good. You might talk to your dentist about continuously drinking it. It will erode the enamel on your teeth because of the acidity. Here's an article you might be interested in:

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=60399

It's good stuff for high endurance sports; running, cycling, etc. But not for everyday use.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

One of the things most folks overlook in their spending are the little items they buy each day. Over the course of a pay period, those things add up. You might be surprised to hear this but the big ticket items are generally not what give you the most grief. Your home mortagage/rent is something you know is coming due and you plan for that. The same is true for your vehicle payment. What you generally don't budget for are the little miscellaneous items.

If you want to find out where your money is REALLY going, keep a money diary for 30 days. Write down everything you spend money on. That morning coffee, the paper, a mid morning snack from the vending machine, everything. At the end of 30 days, you'll be shocked at what you spent your money on.

It takes discipline to keep a diary even for a month but the benefits in learning where your money really goes are well worth it.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Rick,

Gatorade, I make mine very weak. I spent a few hot days with firemen at fire station #2 and they educated me on gatorade. Those that make is the way it is suppose to be made, they fall out, get sick, bloated, and pass out. Those that drink just water, fall out because the water does not rep. the elect. and sodium that the body needs when you are working hard and sweating.

They suggested diluting it, 50/50 and never ever drink it ice cold.

So I make it with ice, 50/50 in a cooler and take a big cup. I fill the cup and put it in or on the truck so it warms, and then drink it.

As far as working hard, yeh that's what I do. Work, sweat, and work some more. Gotta love it.

Here it is! 75 tips for saving money from a family that lives on $4000 a year!

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Moder...e-on-Less.aspx

A couple of thoughts on two of the items listed. Unplug items when not in use. All those digital displays and little cooling fans use power even when the item is sitting idle. It's called vampire electronics. There is even a national movement underway to reduce or eliminate their usage.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0926065912.htm

I became reacquainted with the library through my daughter. It turns out they have the latest video DVDs for loan. Yep, you can check out DVDs from the library and watch them for free instead of renting them at Blockbuster. Who knew?
    Last edited by Rick; 03-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.

Nice find 8910
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i usually buy generic brands rather then name brands, they are quite a bit cheaper and most of it tastes or works better then the name brand