Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping wish list

Default Camping wish list

My missus is really against going camping, she has no interest in it at all, so if I did one day talk her into going with me i'd have to make it as comfortable as possible, so this is probably the stuff i'd get.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Waste Tank Capacity: 5 gal
    Water Tank Capacity: 3 gal
    Load Limit: 440 lbs
    Cost: $60(includes shipping)
    I like this because it looks durable, it flushes like a normal toilet and would be easy to clean up.

This is a changing room/bathroom/shower room
    Cost: $50(includes shipping)

Portable shower

This uses a propane tank and the water input is a bit confusing, seen a pic of a hose hooked up but not sure how that'd work outside. For water my goal would be to chug along water cooler water pitchers but IDK. I'm conflicted on this one but i'd need a shower that can produce hot water.
    Cost: $118(includes shipping)

Coleman Tent
    This thing looks really nice they claim is lot thicker than normal tents, setup is really easy, can split in separate rooms though not necessary, can fit 4 air mattresses in it and has waterproof somethin or another. I'm a fan of coleman stuff, in fact in my room I sleep on an air mattress because TBH they're very comfortable, more so than regular beds, and last while if I don't pop them which i've done 3-4 times in a couple years.
    Cost:$80

Coleman airmatress
    I've used this exact same airmatress in the past, was one of my favorite just because it felt nice. I don't know what type i'm using now, usually just grab a new one when one pops(because of something sharp I get in the bed) every few months or so at Walmart. Me and missus combined weight is only about 310 so we can comfortably lay on one of these without worrying about the weight.
    Cost: $25-30

Matress portable hand pump
    don't feel like posting pic of this but I highly recommend hand pump over battery ones any day, unless you not physically able to use it(as it does take some effort)
    Cost:$10

Wool blanket
    I don't really find these comfortable but the fact they're apparently great at heating even when wet i'd be dumb not to get them
    Cost: $20

I'll finish this post later lol, so far total cost is $363 for all that give or take.

Default You're kidding...right?

Too much hassle schlepping all that around. Kinda defeats the purpose.
    Why not stay at home and cook out?

You don't need that and neither does she. If your going to do that stay at a state park inn. At least you can hike during the day and have the amenities at night. It's a great thing to do. My wife and do it on occasion. Our state park inns are really nice.

Some folks can live without being in the outdoors. To each his (her) own. Try doing some day hikes with her and see where that leads.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We already walk the local park, unfortunately it's mostly shut down because county decided to send in construction crew to mess with some river. Anyway I think all that stuff is awesome, and definitely useful. A state park inn sounds interesting though, may look into that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

No Comment............

I get where your coming from, my mom likes all this kind of stuff. I prefer a more minimalist type camp but when we go to Colorado we set up a base camp (car camp, as in you could not carry all the stuff mom brings). Where we go there aren't any Inns to stay in, Gunnison would the closest place with a hotel and it is about a 40 min drive from where we camp. Her tent she got is a jeep tent, it has 2 bedrooms and a front porch (yes it's a tent). We have one of those shower tent deals but not the toilet or the shower pump, heater deal, or the toilet.

If you like more of a hybrid between camping and a hotel then go for it, but don't expect to back country camp with this kind of setup lol Moms tent may be big, but one day we raced to see who could set up their tent faster, her with her huge tent and me with my micro backpacker tent. I beat her by only one minute. It may be big but eat is surprisingly easy to setup.

I warn you to check that wool blanket and make sure it is 100% wool, for that price I would guess it is a wool and nylon blend. The 100% wool blankets I have looked at are upwards of 100 bucks.
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You don't need that and neither does she. If your going to do that stay at a state park inn. At least you can hike during the day and have the amenities at night. It's a great thing to do. My wife and do it on occasion. Our state park inns are really nice.

Some folks can live without being in the outdoors. To each his (her) own. Try doing some day hikes with her and see where that leads.
    Have you ever stayed at McCormick State Park, my family and I stayed there for my birthday at the Inn. You would probably really like the Inn and fit in well there, it used to be an insane asylum lol..... JK
    "Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing."
    Thomas Paine

Minimalist Camping: Enjoy nature, don't be tortured by it. Take as little as you need to be safe and comfortable.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I own at least one of each of those items. Except my structures are canvas. They are useless and a great burden for overnight trips but if you are staying out for two weeks, and there is not a state park inn to whimp out in, they come in real handy. My family has always been into long term camping and a shower is real nice when the temps are in the 90 degree range.

"Camping" in a state park inn? Isn't that just sleeping somewhere besides the house? Why not just claim the Mariot as your bug out location?

I once had to "rough it" at the Hyatt Regency. It was horrid. Almost as bad a ranger school!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yes, we've stayed at McCormick State Park and all of the inns in Indiana. Some a few times over. We've stayed in several in Kentucky and Tennessee as well. The one's in Kentucky really surprised me. They had running water and indoor toilets. Pretty sophisticated for country folks. I'll have to send KY a book on etiquette for Christmas. Pinky out, KY, when you sip shine.

I just noticed that toilet has a load limit of 440 pounds. That tank doesn't look big enough to hold 440 pounds of........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I once put in an application for a park managers position with the Ky park system.

The first question on the application?

Not how much woodcraft skill.
    Not what degree you have in biology, forestry, history or management.
    Not how much training in emergency services, SAR or EMT.

The first question on the application was;

How much experience in hotel/resterant management do you have?

They are really serious about the wuzz factor in the KY state parks. There may not be a campground fit to camp in but the golf course will be top notch and the buffet fit for a king!

What kind of vechical are you planning on carring all that stuff in?

BTW the water heater required a garden hose, and running water to work.....kinda hard to come by in the wilderness.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yea, that water heater needs a pump. If you are bent on getting one, something like a Zodi is self contained.

Most people that start this way end up with the kind of yard sale I like to attend. I suggest that you ease in to things a little bit.

Think picnicking, for now, instead of camping. That will do a few things. You can ease your Missus into the wild, and wine and dine her while you do. You need a kitchen getup (stove, pot, pan, etc) and a canopy. If she is really timid, a screened canopy. Something that appears so simple can take the both of you far. You get out, are together, and get to practice food prep, packing, unpacking, cleanup, and most importantly discover just what it is that you want to be out "there" for. No need for the risk of an overnight, you'll get some camp skills under both of your belts that you will certainly need by just day tripping. You are also gathering up items that you need for home in case of power failure, storm damage, etc. Along the way, you'll both find some kind of passion if you take it slow. That may be bird watching, wild edibles, photography, or simply cloud watching. Those may not be your interests, but you must respect and nurture hers.

When the passion bites, you'll have a much better handle on what the both of you need.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    How much experience in hotel/resterant management do you have?
    See? You have to catch up. You're living behind the times. Those state park inns even have WIFI and TV ... IN THE ROOMS!

The problem is in the name. You said Inn and KRat was thinking grog and mutton.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    . No need for the risk of an overnight, you'll get some camp skills under both of your belts that you will certainly need by just day tripping.Yo u are also gathering up items that you need for home in case of power failure, storm damage, etc. Along the way, you'll both find some kind of passion if you take it slow. That may be bird watching, wild edibles, photography, or simply cloud watching. Those may not be your interests, but you must respect and nurture hers.
    You have a good point here. I have to tone it down a bit due to making this progression at age 10 and doing solo backpacking as soon as I had a driver's liscense in my wallet. I was probably the only kid at the high school that had camping gear that lived in the trunk of his hot rod.

Many of the best photo adventures we have had posted here were some of the "day trips" and short afternoon hikes. We often encourage youngsters to practice various skills on the patio or in the back yard or local park before going afield. Same goes for adults.

Picnics turn into all day outtings. Step up from just taking the cooler to carrying a Coleman stove, the screen house, sleeping bag used as a comforter while taking a nap and the next thing you know it is "why don't we stay overnight and have this much fun again tomorrow?"

At least I guess that is how it is supposed to work.

Personally, camping comes with the package as far as I am concerned. If a woman don't camp I don't really need her messing up my fun. I met the late wife on a camping trip, we courted on camping trips, our wedding was at a camp and she died on the way home from a camping trip. That woman would do anything to get out of helping unload the truck!

Blog Entries

Cool Forget about it...

...get an RV instead, self-contained of course. Right before you go out rent the DVD of the 1st version of "The Hills Have Eyes" and make her watch with you! BRU-WHO-WHO-HA-HA-HA!!!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Just remember "If Momma isn't happy, nobody will be happy".......and if she is unhappy enough, you will loose 1/2 your stuff.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, I've been thinking all through this thread that if you take momma where SHE wants to go instead of where YOU want to go there are some benefits to be had. At least I've heard talk to that affect.

Instead of the water heater, get a black 5 gallon bucket, with the lid, get a cheap piece garden hose 6 feet long, cut a hole in top to one side of the lid large enough to for the hose to slide through, glue about 12 inches of the hose to the bottom of the bucket pass the hose through the top. attach a garden hose sprayer (think dollar store here) to the end of the hose. Fill the bucket in the morning, set it in the sun and at the end of the day you will have enough water for 2 or 3 quick showers when siphoned from the top of your car. The hose will be long enough to rise all those hard to get spaces, or the dishes if you want. Total cost less than 10 bucks. I set my bucket on the top of my pop up camper and that way we had plenty of water pressure.

I've used a horizontal shower a few times. It's free by the way. Strip down and lay in the stream. Use as much water as you need. You won't need much water in March and you have to watch out so the chucks of ice don't smack you in the head. Other than that it works good.