Thread: Recent Storms in WV and Va

Default Recent Storms in WV and Va

Bornthatway has given me great things review and change in our emergency preparations. There is no need to repeat them here. Here is the link to her post on Born that way's SHTF experience. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...HTF-experience

I would like to add a few things to add to your prevention plan.

1. The major tree service in our area offers tree evaluations at nominal charge and occasional free offers. they evaluated my neighbors tree and determined that it had hollow trunk about 10 feet up the massive Oak. The tree would have demolished the house a garage and perhaps my house depending on which way it wanted to fall. The the prevention was put in place and tree has been removed.

2. This seems obvious but. If you have a tree come down on your property or are helping a neighbor cut up a fallen tree, Make sure and know for a fact that the tree hasn't taken power lines with. The end result of hitting a live wire is obvious and undesirable.

3. As it turns out the next town over has a 1938 water system that is in the process of being updated. How ever in the mean time, a major power outage like the one on Friday took out the pumping station that pumped the water to the water towers. They do not have a back up generator on the water system. They put out a water conservation notice. If I am understanding the information correctly. That effected the system that supplied the fire hydrants with water pressure. Remember small town. It would have been a bad situation if a fire broke out and the water pressure was not there. Make sure you have extinguishers and that they are charged.

My house looks like there no damage, a phone call confirmed that.
    Here is a link to photos of storm damage in and around Beverly, WV. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2092461&type=1

From the link above. Our black smith shop has been put on hold. At least the meeting with a woman who wants to donate a bunch of blacksmithing tools to the museum is still on schedule when I return home. There is enough of the structure intact that I hope it can be rebuilt.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 07-02-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Karl how did the IL house come thru?......Really sucks about the shop.
    Seems y'all are getting it from both sides.

Hang in there .........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Holy Christmas. Of all things to get hit. I hope when the tree gets cleared it looks a little better than it does right now and the repairs go quickly and smoothly.

I left one morning for work with three trees on the side of my house and came home that night with three trees on my house. Not a good thing but everyone was safe and sound and that's all that really mattered. Needless to say, large trees have never grown close enough to my house to let that happen again. The first thing I did when we moved in here was take two of them down to the ground.

Hang in there, Karl. Don't forget about the water in your water heater if the city runs out. Just don't let it back siphon.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I went through this back in May. I feel your pain.

As long as these things happen in the south or midwest they are of no real public concern. Let the wind blow on the east coast or near DC and the fur flies!

Suddenly the crazy neighbor with all the bottled water is no longer a nutjob to be avoided.

Then next week when the power comes back on he will again be a psycho lunitic.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Glad the house is OK. Sorry about the shop.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Bummer about your shop, Karl. Glad you and your family are OK, though, and you still have a home. A lot to be grateful for at this miserable time.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. Hunter, I'm still out your way, things are progressing with getting Illinois house on market again but seems all to slow. It seems that for every two days working on things an new thing gets added. I have one week to get as much done as I can.

The shop which is one of the museum properties is insured. Luckily I do not have equipment at the shop I'm hoping that they will opt for rebuilding. I had just completed a survey of the coach house which included a proposal for appropriate alterations to the building to accommodate a side draft hood and brick forge it was to be three stage process. Phase one was at 90 %. The goal for phase one was to have the necessary equipment to produce simple iron work outside under canvas for events and hammer ins. Looks like i will have some rewriting to do on the proposal.

The hammer in was to be one Saturday each month were folks who wanted to learn some simple smithing can come and learn a bit or teach a bit. It looks like most of the equipment is intact. so we can still have a smith under canvas for events. The hammer in will have to wait, we were just starting to develop policies for the hammer in. Usually there is a waver to sign and an age minimum as well as introductory safety talk before things start.

I'll try to post what happens to the building repairs.

My Shop is Good
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

That's good to hear....I thought that was your shop....Whew huh?.....
    Hang in there, Bud, and keep us posted.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I had a tree on my house after hurricane Floyd in 1999. It was a major nuisance. Cutting the trees near the house before they come down is worthwhile maintenance. I hope your repairs go smoothly.