Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My SHTF experience.

How much beer can you drink in an emergency anyway? Is there a measure of etiquette involved? Inquiring minds and all.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    How much beer can you drink in an emergency anyway? Is there a measure of etiquette involved? Inquiring minds and all.
    Back in the olden days, when some thing happened in the neighborhood, everyone kinda got togeather and did what they had to do, to cut up, clean up, cheer up and generally try to make things right, and in the case of power outages after a big storms and tornadoes and even big blizzards.....

When possible, get out the grills and cook up all the thawing out steaks and burgers....and take care of the beer, before it went bad.......So sometines quite a bit.....AFTER the chain saws, power tool, and ladders are put away.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I think the one thing I would miss the most if had no power or fridge would be ice for cool drinks. We are pretty much back to normal except my internet is still sketchy. I still have to to my son's house for it to work.

I learned alot even though we went to a hotel. I know I could probably have made it okay at home by camping in the woods there close to the house but since I could go I did. The temp in the woods was probably 15 degrees cooler than in the sun so it would have been ok.

Thanks for your cares and concerns and also your suggestions of how to have survived at home a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Back in the olden days, when some thing happened in the neighborhood, everyone kinda got togeather and did what they had to do, to cut up, clean up, cheer up and generally try to make things right, and in the case of power outages after a big storms and tornadoes and even big blizzards.....

When possible, get out the grills and cook up all the thawing out steaks and burgers....and take care of the beer, before it went bad.......So sometines quite a bit.....AFTER the chain saws, power tool, and ladders are put away.
    Yup. In the first days after Camille (1969) and Frederic (1979) in coastal Alabama, and the Northridge Earthquake (1994) in the Lost Angeles area, our neighborhood streets became "Party-Central" after dark. Tools and ladders were put away. Charcoal grills were a-glow, freezers and 'fridges were emptied, wine and beer and hard liquor flowed like water, and stomachs were filled to the tip-top. I never knew, for example, that Gulf shrimp tasted so good over Pad Thai, or that Carne Asada with cauliflower is excellent!

Things stayed that way until the power came back on, at which time everyone disappeared back into their houses.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 07-12-2012 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Nighteyes View Post
    Yup. In the first days after Camille (1969) and Frederic (1979) in coastal Alabama, and the Northridge Earthquake (1994) in the Lost Angeles area, our neighborhood streets became "Party-Central" after dark. Tools and ladders were put away. Charcoal grills were a-glow, freezers and 'fridges were emptied, wine and beer and hard liquor flowed like water, and stomachs were filled to the tip-top. I never knew, for example, that Gulf shrimp tasted so good over Pad Thai, or that Carne Asada with cauliflower is excellent!

Things stayed that way until the power came back on, at which time everyone disappeared back into their houses.

Same here. You get to know your neighbors and everyone says that they want to keep doing this after the power comes back on and then they don't.

Freezer pops are survival ice packs. Anything that can be frozen is frozen and used to keep the temps down. He freeze water in gallon jugs and ziplock bags and use that for ice in the coolers. When it melts its a drink. Times like that are when you appreciate top loading freezers.

I have generators. But, only had one during Wilma and it quit 2 hours after it was fired up. 7 days without power. So having a plan "B" was great!

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

It was a tornado in 1970 that turned me into a "prepper" and the close calls every couple of years, combined with power outages during blizzards, ice storms and normal run of the mill SHTF events are what keeps me prepping.

For you guys that have not figured it out: you can make a heavy entension cord with double male plugs and plug one into your genny and the other into an HD outside plug, or install a 50 amp RV plug on the house. When the power goes out flip your main breaker off, plug in the genny and feed the system backwards.

Shutting down the main also protects the linemen trying to repair the utilities.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

another way is batterys and power inverters use the gen to charge the batterys and they do make 12vt refers , my dads friend used to power his ham radio with a garden windmill and an alternator powering up a battery