Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My SHTF experience.

Default My SHTF experience.

As you know I live in VA and we had the mother of a super cell storm Friday night. The storm hit about 9:00 p.m. with no warning from anybody. The weather folks missed this one. We had gusts upwards of 80 mph. Trees falling everywhere and the wind sounded like the freight train. All we could do was hold on tight and pray we made it through the storm. Well obviously we did. However wo lost power and we are having this heat hit us with high 90's and above. So here is how we survived.

The night of the storm was not too bad as the storm cooled the weather down and we were able to sleep pretty good. Then we got up Satruday morning and when we went outside it looked like a war had been fought. There4 were branches everywhere and trees uprooted and laying in lots of inconvient places. Our driveway was blocked by a large walnut tree so had to get that out of the way first. I went to check on the cattle while my DH was getting things ready to go work up the tree. Fortunqtley all were fine but scared to death. So we got them bacx into their familiar field and fed them some feed to help calm them down. Yes they like comfort food too.

We got a tractor and pulled the tree out of the way and worked it up. We knew that power was not going to be back for awhile. So now what to do?

Due to my health I knew I could not stay at home in the heat so I began calling for a room in a hotel. Well so did everybody else and I had almost given up when I found a room in a hotel in the town 10 miles away. So here is what I learned about if you are going to bug outafter a natural disaster.

1. Leaving is the most critical part of getting out in time. I would start calling hotels as soon as the disater has happened if you had no warning.

2. Having cash is very important in a disaster like this as there is no electricity so credit cards and ATM are of no use. Everyone should have a stash of cash avaialbe at home. I would reccommend about $1,000.00 As you are going to need to pay for a room and you need to be able to pay for food while staying away from home. This is so if you have a natural disaster that you are able to get away from. Had this one covered.

3. You should always keep your gas tank on your vehilce topped off and have some gas at home in case you need to leave as when there is no electricity there is nogas available at the pumps. Had this one covered.

4. Have a bugout bag ready. I have one set up for leaving if I had to bug out outside but now I am going to have one ready for just a few nights away from home.

5. Have the patience of Job. You are going to encounter lines for everything. And even though we found a hotel then finding a place that is open to eat is the next issue. Many of the restuarants were closed as they were on the end of town that had no power. Fortuntaley there were several pretty close to the hotel to eat at but you had to wait in line some times as mush as an hour if you went at normal eating hours. The best thing is to go later. We still waited but only about 10 min.

6. Have some food that you can take with you if possible so that you are not at the mercy of vending machines at the hotels. And also something to drink.

7. Of course we could have bugged in as we have a generator but not one big enough to carry the whole house AC so that is why we left home.

We got power back today about 2:00 p.m. much sooner than we expected as we are rural and on the end of the power line. There are still folks without power. I am still at the hotel so the house has time to cool down and besides it was way past checkout time. DH went home to stay with the pets. If you have pets you have to plan for them also. Like finding a hotel that allows them. Otherwise you will be outside with them in the shade if all else fails.

I would not have bugged out if it were not for my health. Of course that brings up the what if we could not have found a hotel, well we have camped in our woods in the shade and toughed it aout the best we could. I am not sure what effect this might have had on my health except that it would not have been good so you must always take that into consideration when deciding to stay home and bug in or bugout.

This was not a fun experience but was okay since we were able to get a room and stay comfortably. I hope that we never have to experience these types of things again but folks it can happen to any of us in a split second. So if you have been blowing smoke up skirts about being prepared you better get off your keister and get prepared.

Take care and God Bless.

Glad you fared well. We lost power last summer for several days, luckily it wasn't hot. Not sure if my friends lost any power in PA, but I know some of them are on well systems so when they lose power they lose water too. Where I am we don't.

Since your health is a concern you may want to buy a single window unit for just one room to run off your generator. It may not be comfortable for everyone, but it can be a breath of fresh air in weather like its been. I have a health issue too and I can't stand the summer due to an elevated body temp. I wear t-shirts in the winter cause I'm comfortable.

Guess we all learned a little something from this. Just to add, we get downpours and flooding around here temporarily. So when deciding to drive through an unknown puddle I just let someone else go first. Usually they are in SUV's so I can see how up the tires the water goes and then decide... lol

I"m glad you came through relatively unscathed. You offer up a timely reminder for folks.

You might look into a 110VAC single room air conditioner because of you health issues. At least you could keep one room, maybe the bedroom, cool and your generator would run it. Obviously check on wattage compared to your genny.

Don't forget medications in the mix. Have a 30 day supply on hand.

Here's a booklet about carrying for pets in a disaster. It covers house pets to farm animals.

https://ebusiness.avma.org/ebusiness...y_brochure.pdf

EDIT: I was typing when you posted. Doubled up on the window unit.....great minds and all.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Glad you came through everything OK.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Rick, I wouldn't say I'm a great mind, but I don't want to insult you...

We ran a fridge of a generator and a couple of lamps. I charged my laptop so I could play games... lol

Good heavens, that came out of nowhere! Glad you got through it fine and that the electricity came back sooner than later. You made me think of something I've been putting off for like ever, due to lack of space. (lousy excuse, I know) Having another "leave home bag" (aside from the BOB) for just the purpose you described--going to a hotel for a few days but not actually bugging out for an extended period of time. This, for times when you can go back home and get stuff but can't actually stay.
    Just when you think you've got it all figured out...

Glad you came through it. Stay cool hope power comes back soon.

B - My BOB is just that. If I have to bug out then things around here are pretty desperate, but that aside. My bag make up assumes I can travel back and forth from a hotel or relatives home, that I must move to a relative's home far away, or I'm on the road with Mad Max. You don't necessarily need another bag just think through what you currently have. What happens if you are in a hotel and suddenly can't go back home?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks for the up date, and the timely reminder.
    So many times this stuff (SHTF for real) happens and some one just disappears off the grid for a while with out anyone knowing what happened.

Well I don't know about y'all but I have a tendency to worry about the well being of all of y'all, so a "Yeah, we are OK" is a good thing.

BTW all good advice, all the gear in the world isn't gonna do ya any good if you have empty fuel tank, or no where to go, and no where to get there.

We have done "dry runs" to "The Place" (BOL) several times, with the idea that our preps would have to last us min. two weeks....and tried to time a departure times.
    Have done this, mostly in the spring, where "The Place' had been closed up for a while, and supplies are at a min. for possible freezing reasons........Self induced, worst case?

Any way the idea of cash, full fuel tanks, meds, pet plans.... and lately the flash drive with necessary info (idea pickup up form y'all on this forum) have been in place for a while now.

Again thanks for the up-date and reminder.........Glad to hear y'all are getting by.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good list, good lessons. Sounds very much like what we taught to all new employees when I ran the training function for a well-known smaller Southern California city. Of course, our primary (and most common) SHTF situation is earthquakes. There's absolutely no warning for them.

BTW, folks, the OP said he had to relocate because of the heat problems. I'm pretty sure he also said the power lines were down. If so, no home air conditioning unit, central or window, is gonna work. (That is, unless said unit is composed of a block of ice and a hand-operated fan...)
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 07-02-2012 at 03:23 PM.

SHE has a generator. That's why we suggested a window unit. Her genny isn't big enough to run the central air unit.

BTWay, Great observations you gave me some things I need to re think. I'm glad things went OK. A friend in Augusta Springs has been keeping us informed in that area. Be safe!!

Lol I wrote a post earlier but must have forgotten to hit reply.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I do that all the time and I don't understand how it happens.....Ooooh. Butterflies........

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    SHE has a generator. That's why we suggested a window unit. Her genny isn't big enough to run the central air unit.

And THAT, friends, is the primary reason I buy all my shoes from Hershey's. Apologies to the lady in question.

One minor "tweak" to the list, pertaining to money. Make sure to have a lot of small denomination bills. In the immediate aftermath of such an occurrance, stores probably won't be able to make change. So, if you need a roll of bathroom tissue and only have a $20, it just became a $20 roll of bathroom tissue. (I've oversimplified as usual, but I hope the point is made nevertheless.)

My car emergency kit contained $350 in cash -- including $25 in singles, $35 in fives, and $40 in tens. SWMBO's kit includes a similar package.
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 07-02-2012 at 11:07 PM.

Just watchin' your back, brother. Sometimes the S on keyboards doesn't show up even when you hit them. So she becomes he. It looks to me like that's what happened. Might be time to buy a new S for that keyboard. You should see what happens to shiny.

I'm glad you made it through neighbor.

We got power back yesterday afternoon. I actually had a good time over the past few days, stayed right here at home. But, full time electron flow is a welcomed convenience.

One big concern for me, in times such as these, are the fridges and freezers. They take too much generator time/fuel. I am going to review our volume/units and hopefully come to less of a conclusion.

By coincidence, I was dehydrating a few things when we lost power. I finished by setting the trays on the roof for a couple of days. I covered each in cheese cloth, and of course brought them in of the night.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

The fridges and freezer were primary considerations for acquiring the generator for me. The cost of the fuel is offset by the loss of the food each box contains, in my mind. In addition, if I loose stuff to spoilage then I've lost items I could have eaten and if power is out then stores might not be an option. If know you know this but for the sake of others, the genny doesn't have to run 24/7 to keep fridges and freezers cold. If you don't fan the doors they will hold their temp for 6-8 hours if the seal on the door is good and depending on how full they are. Less time, obviously, if you fan the door. So you can kick on the generator every 4 hours or so and let the compressors run to adjust the temp inside. Just a thought.

Water was my primary reason, I'm on a well. In fact, we have four families on that well.

We buy meat in bulk, and put away a trophy or two each year. The fuel is certainly justified short term. Long term, and I get the shakes when I say this, I'm going to have to let the beer and freeze pops go.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

Or have a beer and freeze pop party so as to not waste things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Those freezer pops are history......warm beer is OK, although, not preferred.....Just think "European style"........Room temp.....and don't let it sit around too long.
    We all have to make sacrifices during a emergency.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27