Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

Blog Entries

Cool Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It's OK Sarge, he only has seven posts.

Give him time to read three more threads and make two or three more posts and he will realize he knows more than Bear and change sides.
    Yeah, your right, meanwhile here's something for the rest of us!

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bear-g...wn-piss/photos

Enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

BG does a lot of things that I believe are far to dangerous to acctually do, He takes risks tha I woud not in an acctual survival situation. I love Ray Meres for his spiritual look on at nature I am also a huge Dae Canterburry fan.

Les Stroud lol

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BoltActionJLA View Post
    Les Stroud lol
    ...and YOU are?....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Lol new guy Jesse :P i posted on the hello board as well

Junior Member High Desert Wanderer's Avatar
    off grid in the high country southwest of Seligman,AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Endworld Guy View Post
    Ray Mears was asked a while back if people could learn anything from Bear Gryll's TV shows and replied- "Yes, how not to make TV programmes", meaning he didn't think much of Grylls as a survivalist.
    Personally I think both guys shows are okay because on the one hand Mears teaches us how to work with nature, and Grylls shows us how not to fear it.
    So can I ask forum members this question-"Who would you rather be stranded in the middle of nowhere with, Grylls or Mears?"
    I'd have to spend a week in the wild with both of them in order to make a determination as to who is the true and most skilled wilderness survivor. Based on watching Bear's show and Ray's videos, I would have to say that Ray Mears is superior.

One thing people don't give credit for with bears is that he is applying Hot survival to normal survival conditions.

That is to say, Hot Pursuit survival tactics, you know when u need to get out of the fire and to a location ASAP. He moves the farthests/ fastest of any "survival" expert I have seen but his method is not tailored to your normal I need rescue come help survival. It is tailored to behind enemy lines operations kind of survival.

That said, I'd take Ruth along, and she wouldn't even have to drink my pee.

Mears, definitely. With all the press on Grylls cheating on his television programs, I just don't trust him. In reality, I would choose Les Stroud over both of them. Just my opinion....

Ruth is Hot yummy yummy

Ray Mears seems to know his stuff. Bear Grills , you really don't want my opinion of him . Manwoman wild thing was ace , I think they both were hot

since i've never heard of mears i'd have to vote for grylls. bear grylls occasionally gives some bad advice and takes unnecessary chances for the sake of dramatic effect but i've learned a lot from his show's episodes

Quote Originally Posted by dave fuches View Post
    since i've never heard of mears i'd have to vote for grylls. bear grylls occasionally gives some bad advice and takes unnecessary chances for the sake of dramatic effect but i've learned a lot from his show's episodes
    Check out Ray Mears on Youtube. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

hey crash you were right. i'm halfway through episode 2 of season 2 (just clicked it at random) and i am pleasantly surprised. i've bookmarked this youtube channel for further examination.

i am curious though, i haven't yet had time to research it yet; the shows appear to be clones of each other, they both even have the british accent and i'm curious - which one came first?

I do believe that Mears has been "doing the survival thing" longer than Grylls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...zy-stunts.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...ar-Grylls.html
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i didn't know this. gonna watch a few more episodes of mears tonight.

i didn't know this. gonna watch a few more episodes of mears tonight. sorry didn't reason the other post went through.

i may convert lol

Grylls is o.k. to watch, I truly enjoy watching Les Stroud. He less scripted and when you watch him he reenforces the knowledge you have while sometimes picking up a new trick or two.

Grylls' "survival" shows are strictly for teevee entertainment and his "situations" are staged for dramatic, most often, outrageous effect.

Mears is producing his shows for educational viewing and his "situations" show practical means and techniques for solving a problem in the outdoors.

Both are very successful in their show business fields, which are different.

For those who knock Grylls for his presentations, I'd bet a lot of money that if Grylls were to find himself in a real down-and-dirty, live-or-die situation, he'd be able to use his survival knowledge and skills to get out of it. I'd also bet he'd never try those flamboyent stunts he performs in his videos to "come home alive." He certainly knows the difference between reality and "show biz."

Just my opinion.

S.M.
    "They that can give up essential liberty to gain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790),U.S. statesman, scientist, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by Seniorman View Post
    Grylls' "survival" shows are strictly for teevee entertainment and his "situations" are staged for dramatic, most often, outrageous effect.

Mears is producing his shows for educational viewing and his "situations" show practical means and techniques for solving a problem in the outdoors.

Both are very successful in their show business fields, which are different.

For those who knock Grylls for his presentations, I'd bet a lot of money that if Grylls were to find himself in a real down-and-dirty, live-or-die situation, he'd be able to use his survival knowledge and skills to get out of it. I'd also bet he'd never try those flamboyent stunts he performs in his videos to "come home alive." He certainly knows the difference between reality and "show biz."

Just my opinion.

S.M.
    That was probably one of the better assessments of the show and his talents that I have read.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i agree and after watching mears for 4 episodes now i understand the difference between entertainment and educational. i've always enjoyed finding mistakes or downright wrong advice on "man vs wild" and will still enjoy his show.

my own personal "first rule of survival" is to NOT risk injury and bear breaks this rule on each and every single episode.