Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

Banned

Cool post, Endworld.

RE: Bear -- Of course he isn't as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. The only knowledge people have of him (in all likelihood) comes from a TV show. Little do people know, networks have a lot of influence on what is or is not broadcasted in the episodes. All that isn't Bears' doing or on his own accord. The shows are made for entertainment and made for a television audience. The premise of his show was never to show you how to "survive" in the wild, more or less get yourself out of a bad situation. It baffles me too see others think he was the guy calling all the shots on what was advertised on Discovery Channel. Most resort to a few instances that were propagated online through YouTube to end up making negative comments about him or try to discredit his doings. I don't see the point. No reason to make an artificial contest of endeavors and accomplishment.

Grylls has made revolutionary expeditions around the world and is highly knowledgeable and trained in many avenues from knowledge of culture, self-defense, to medicine and ecology. He has done things that none of us could ever dream up, has great desire and will to make not only himself, but others around him (through charity, events, etc.) better. Extremely well-educated. I find him to be a good author too, and feel several of his books contain valuable lessons and discourse on life in general. He is definitely a leader. I think he he has a lot to offer. It would be cool to meet him someday.

Great thread and topic.
    Last edited by Warheit; 07-01-2012 at 02:37 PM.

At least Dual Survival had the disclaimer about the guys being presented with scenarios and situations, I like to watch as many of those types of shows or youtube vids as I can, even if I pick up only 1 skill, idea or tip its worth it to me. I realized a long time ago that tv shows are not about anything but the commercials every 14 minutes or so although I still can't seem to get that idea through to my lovely wife.

Has to be Mears for me but given one book to rely on it would be Lofty's SAS classic. I met Ray last year while he was filming of the Welsh coast and there were 5 crew with him. Very nice person to talk to and a real expert.

sunisgoing.jpg

I like bear tho, his showmanship is awesome, idk how much I believe about him sleeping at hotels. idk mears, but les stroud is cool, you guys are the expert but id rather watch bear grylls and MWW is good too, and ruth is indeed hot
    Last edited by Sarge47; 07-12-2012 at 09:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    sunisgoing.jpg

I like bear tho, his showmanship is awesome, idk how much I believe about him sleeping at hotels. idk mears, but les stroud is cool, you guys are the expert but id rather watch bear grylls and MWW is good too, and ruth is indeed hot
    Got to hand it to Bear, he sure knows where the best Inns are!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Hi guys
    Just wanted to pipe in and vote for BG.
    I like Mears but dual survival and Les don't really do it for me.
    I actually met BG when he did his Australian tour, I have always watched his show but thought he was a bit of an idiot. A friend got me meet and greet tickets so I took the oportunity to make a knife and give it to him. Just to say I did it.
    The one thing I got out of the meet is how much of an act his show is. He often says in interviews that he doesn't like being in front of the camera.
    He has such a big heart and is naturally a shy person, he is very caring and humble (the opposite to his show), meeting him changed my view of his personality, he is the type of person you would could sit around a fire with and talk for hours.
    As for his show, don't do what he does but you have to admit, he has taken it too the masses.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by rslt View Post
    Hi guys
    Just wanted to pipe in and vote for BG.
    I like Mears but dual survival and Les don't really do it for me.
    I actually met BG when he did his Australian tour, I have always watched his show but thought he was a bit of an idiot. A friend got me meet and greet tickets so I took the oportunity to make a knife and give it to him. Just to say I did it.
    The one thing I got out of the meet is how much of an act his show is. He often says in interviews that he doesn't like being in front of the camera.
    He has such a big heart and is naturally a shy person, he is very caring and humble (the opposite to his show), meeting him changed my view of his personality, he is the type of person you would could sit around a fire with and talk for hours.
    As for his show, don't do what he does but you have to admit, he has taken it too the masses.
    I believe that it was one of his episodes in your country that he demonstrated drinking his own urine and saying that it was okay.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Like I said. Don't do what he does.

Blog Entries

Post Hmmmm...

Like I said. Don't do what he does.
    Then why bother listening to him or watching him? You said that Dual Survival and Les doesn't "do it for you," and that your vote for Bear Grylls is based mostly on a personal meeting. So true Survival advice doesn't enter into it, right? Just trying to understand your point of view. Anyway, he should be more approachable now that he's out of a job.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Endworld Guy View Post
    Ray Mears was asked a while back if people could learn anything from Bear Gryll's TV shows and replied- "Yes, how not to make TV programmes", meaning he didn't think much of Grylls as a survivalist.
    Personally I think both guys shows are okay because on the one hand Mears teaches us how to work with nature, and Grylls shows us how not to fear it.
    So can I ask forum members this question-"Who would you rather be stranded in the middle of nowhere with, Grylls or Mears?"
    My congrats to you on an interesting post and question .

I profer this

Bear Grylls eats animal feces and rotten flesh from animals he did not kill . Bear runs down muddy & rock scree like a child that has had too much sugar to eat .He is itching for a broken leg ; but reckon his camera crew will save him . His "background" in the SAS is up for grabs .

Mears ---> I looked at a video that Mears made . He takes along a few tiny nails that will hold his whetstone in place on the lovely sunny log in the meadows . Mears can now sharpen his "survival knife" .....lovely .

In answer to your question

I would rather be stranded with Mears . He is softer and fatter than Bear .

Mears has more protein content

Blog Entries

Cool Dang!

Quote Originally Posted by Besttracker View Post
    My congrats to you on an interesting post and question .

I profer this

Bear Grylls eats animal feces and rotten flesh from animals he did not kill . Bear runs down muddy & rock scree like a child that has had too much sugar to eat .He is itching for a broken leg ; but reckon his camera crew will save him . His "background" in the SAS is up for grabs .

Mears ---> I looked at a video that Mears made . He takes along a few tiny nails that will hold his whetstone in place on the lovely sunny log in the meadows . Mears can now sharpen his "survival knife" .....lovely .

In answer to your question

I would rather be stranded with Mears . He is softer and fatter than Bear .

Mears has more protein content
    Dude do an intro! You belong here!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Dude do an intro! You belong here!
    Yeah, I like the way you think as well........Plus 1
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Fair point.
    My post about meeting him was mainly because a lot of posts about not prefeing BG include personal attacks on him. Just wanted to say he really is an awesome individual and I believe most people would change their mind upon meeting him too.
    I would not recommend any 'lay person' to try and survive the way he does, BUT he gets my personal vote for two resons
    1. I have been a caver/rock climber/outdoors man most of my life and I can relate to what he does and the way he does it. His show to me is about extreme survival when it's life or death. I have learnt a lot from him.
    2. He is on the cutting edge of survival shows and no one else really comes close. He is seen as reckless because most people couldn't dream of doing what he does, even other survival experts. I can't imagine Mears, Les or Cody drinking there own urine, BUT that is what some people have had to do in survival situations.
    IMO, not only is BG a great guy but he is one of the best survivalists on TV.

Fair point.
    My post about meeting him was mainly because a lot of posts about not prefeing BG include personal attacks on him. Just wanted to say he really is an awesome individual and I believe most people would change their mind upon meeting him too.
    I would not recommend any 'lay person' to try and survive the way he does, BUT he gets my personal vote for two resons
    1. I have been a caver/rock climber/outdoors man most of my life and I can relate to what he does and the way he does it. His show to me is about extreme survival when it's life or death. I have learnt a lot from him.
    2. He is on the cutting edge of survival shows and no one else really comes close. He is seen as reckless because most people couldn't dream of doing what he does, even other survival experts. I can't imagine Mears, Les or Cody drinking there own urine, BUT that is what some people have had to do in survival situations.
    IMO, not only is BG a great guy but he is one of the best survivalists on TV.
    Completely respect your opinions and admire that you stand up for the people you most admire . I wouldn't give a pinch of poo for people that follow the "norm" . You say that Bear is one of the "best survivalists on t.v. " The best "survivalists" don't have time for television and selling toilet paper and Toyotas . Chris Janowski is one of the best instructors in the world . He lives in the most extreme climate on earth . Chris would rather eat a moose steak , than a hand full of berries .
    Cody Lundin ---> Needs to realise that even "primitive" cultures wear shoes . He lives fairly close to my house in New Mexico ... where my Apache ancestors are from . Please read the latest issue of the Backwoodsman magazine and hear what Mr Lundin has to say about "liars" and "phony" teachers . Many teachers were teaching "primitive" living and survival before Cody was a wink in his parents eyes . Many instructors learned "survival" in the jungle ... while people were trying to hunt them down and kill them .

The "bushcraft" scenario is just another name for what many women and men did as they grew up . Just a way of life and nothing special . They <--- are the true experts .

Best wishes to all here . May we live long and learn together .

Default Bear gryliss vs meats

I think most people don't like BG because 95 percent of people can not due what he does physically.He is in exctreme limits of fitness and flexibility.In a real survival situation,he would probilbly survive because he could due 20miles a day.3days he does 60 miles. Most people off trail would due 12 to 15 miles. Now a days 95 percent of backpackers don't leave the trail, 95 percent of hunters don't walk more than a mile of their truck or atv.His show is ENTERTAiNMENT, anybody relieving on tv shows for survival is a fool.

Lots of number there, gsip.....references?
    Anyway, How about an intro?

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...r-Introduction

90% of statistics are made up 40% of the time and only 30% correct.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't know about you guys and this answer is a little off topic but i would prefer to be stranded with Les Stroud.

Lets hear it for Ruth England.........

I hear tell that she's hot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel