Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

Wow! Leader? Really?

Good luck with that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I am surprised you haven't heard of Ruth, she is British.

I love Ray. He is my favorite out of all of them. Sarge, you need to learn how to surf youtube. I think most of Ray's stuff is on youtube. Winter, you need to watch his video on sharpening a knife in the field. He uses a falkniven DC3. Very good video. All his videos are great and I have learned more from him than any other TV guy.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Banned

With the #1 selection in the Wilderness Surival "Who Would You Take With You" Draft -- Warheit selects Bear Grylls of the United Kingdom.

*thunderous applause*

God please make me funny Endworld Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Wow! Leader? Really?
    Good luck with that.
    Good point mate, which brings us to the question- would survival groups do better with or without a leader?
    Every tribe in every part of the world has had a chief or headman or Big Man on Campus since prehistoric times, so if it worked for them maybe it's still a good idea?
    It's almost as if people automatically look to a strong leader to willingly follow.
    Or would our groups do better as a leaderless democracy, I dunno?..
    How about it Colonel?

"Son, you WANT me on that wall, you NEED me on that wall"
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by Endworld Guy; 06-29-2012 at 03:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post

I love Ray. He is my favorite out of all of them. Sarge, you need to learn how to surf youtube. I think most of Ray's stuff is on youtube. Winter, you need to watch his video on sharpening a knife in the field. He uses a falkniven DC3. Very good video. All his videos are great and I have learned more from him than any other TV guy.

To be fair, Ruth was a British Anchor on one of the British news programs, right? But she's NOT a survival instructor, rather, her American husband, Mykel Hawke, supposedly a survival instructor in the US Special Forces is the teacher and Ruth is the student who does extra work by getting Hunter all worked up!

Yeah, I'll check his vids out, thanks FM!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Endworld Guy View Post
    Good point mate, which brings us to the question- would survival groups do better with or without a leader?
    Every tribe in every part of the world has had a chief or headman or Big Man on Campus since prehistoric times, so if it worked for them maybe it's still a good idea?
    It's almost as if people automatically WANT and NEED a strong leader to follow.
    In any social situation, especially in a group dynamic, a leader is going to emerge, perhaps a few. There will be problems, as it is likely that a few similar personalities will go up for the same "crowning of the king" -- but overall I think people prefer construct and order to disarray, and I firmly believe that a leader of good quality can best unite a band or group of people. As you mentioned, that is precisely one of the reasons why intimate groups of people throughout history have had such a system -- for order, consistency and stability.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

It's almost as if people automatically WANT and NEED a strong leader to follow.
    IMO it depends on the experience of the group. Members of the group lacking outdoor experience should have a leader/instructor. Even the US Marines teach, in their survival course, for the student groups to pick a leader. However if the group is made up of members with equal experience in the field then they need to work together instead. Dual Survival illustrated this point very well with both Cody and Dave, often at odds with each other's methods, working side-by-side none the less.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Uh-oh!

It's almost as if people automatically look to a strong leader to willingly follow.
    How about it Colonel?

"Son, you WANT me on that wall, you NEED me on that wall"
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Look out, here comes Crash...again!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Nah. Not yet.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    That "again" thing really gets on my nerves, you would think that you would learn after the first time.....But, Nooooooooo.
    Chest waders allow you to get deeper into it....before you get really wet.
    Cell phone in plastic bag is a good thing.
    Hahaha, I'm talking about sunken boats. I didn't do it.

Adventuring comes with certain risks.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post

That makes alot more sense for bushcraft than the other one I saw. Thanks
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Sorry for the triple post.

Leaders.

A leader and a chain of command/authority work best if their powers are clearly defined. I abhor authority, but if I join a group with a charter than I have accepted that set of rules. I prefer rules over rulers and won't stand for people being subjugated.

The Charter also needs to clearly explain the process of problem solving and making new, or removing, rules.

Oh, wait, that's how America was supposed to be and lasted a mere decade before people found a way to abuse the rules.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Warheit View Post
    With the #1 selection in the Wilderness Surival "Who Would You Take With You" Draft -- Warheit selects Bear Grylls of the United Kingdom.

*thunderous applause*
    Much as it pains me I have to agree with Warheit...Bear knows where all the best Inns are! (running and ducking rotton eggs and tomatoes.)
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Anyone can lead. Few people are leaders. Huge difference in my opinion.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Anyone can lead. Few people are leaders. Huge difference in my opinion.
    I agree, In the military some "leaders are the guys walking point that get the 1st bullet! I was going to show a current example but can't without violating the "no politics" rule on this forum.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    Hahaha, I'm talking about sunken boats. I didn't do it.

Adventuring comes with certain risks.
    Yes "adventuring" does make life interesting...... I do like the term "adventuring".

Haven't sunk any boats yet......several canoes have "gotten washed out".......but my biggest problem is the getting in to deep, syndrome.

We have an island that has been nick named "laundry island", for the number of times it has had "laundry" hanging up to dry.......Actually more of a floating bog, that will suck you down, or people just seem to "fall off'????.

BTW an old canvas decoy bag works good as emergency "drawers" while yours dry.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've sunk a boat about a thousand times. Thankfully I've surfaced a boat just as many times. When the number of surfacings is less than the number of sinkings........that is a bad thing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

God please make me funny Endworld Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    ...I abhor authority...
    Personally I only abhor authority if it's oppressive and bossy, but if it's fair-minded and decent, i have no prob with it at all.
    For example I was admin/mod/2nd in command at a gaming/military discussion club for a few years and the atmosphere was great, I ran the place single handed while the Big Boss was at work or down the pub, but then he started making bad decisions and overuling me and wouldn't listen to reason, so i said to him "You're gonna have to get yerself another boy mate", and walked, and so did some other members.
    The moral? - Weakening any group (whether a survival group or a club etc) by losing members is a sure sign that the leadership is shaky..
    Last edited by Endworld Guy; 06-30-2012 at 03:10 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool I disagree.

The moral? - Weakening any group (whether a survival group or a club etc) by losing members is a sure sign that the leadership is shaky..
    Nonsense, sometimes you just need to "let the dead wood float." Sometimes you have to get rid of those that are being part of the problem rather than part of the solution. Sometimes a good leader will actually cut people from the group for the over-all good of the membership. Take this group for example. Oft-times we have to ban members who are trolls or spammers for the good of the group and/or the forum itself. It doesn't weaken the group, it makes it stronger!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Where does it say that the owner of anything doesn't have the right to do with it as they please? I agree with Sarge. I've seen a lot of successful groups of one kind or another that had terrible leaders. I've seen some groups where folks left and the leadership was outstanding. It has far more to do with the dynamics of the group and the personality types involved than whether the leadership is good or bad.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.