Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

Down Boy! Remember she is somebody's daughter. I bet the guy has 40 acres somewhere, and you might not be missed!!! LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life.

Hmm curious what the original posted had in mind when he said Bear or Mears.. Which one would I rather mmet? Rather have in a survival situation? Rather watch on TV? or which was better in survival situations.

With regard to Grylls, I should point out that it is like thinking MacGyver really knew how to fix all those things in the tv show, or should i say Richard Dean Anderson. In reality it was the writers of the show that had any mental know how. It is the reverse in the case of Grylls tv show, he had the brains while the producers had the stupid notion of making this a Fear Factor type show and adding stupid A$$ what not. I thought this was relevant: On 16 May 1998, Bear Grylls achieved what was thought to be impossible, climbing to the summit of Mount Everest in Nepal, 18 months after breaking three vertebrae in a parachuting accident.

before you judge either here is a little background on the 2 including their training and ins some cases there lack of/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bear_Grylls#Expeditions

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Mears

either way I found them both to be entertaining, Cody Lundins Partner from 1st season on other hand not so much.

Anyway, I personally admire anyone that climbs Mt Everest esp. after breaking 3 vertebrate. About 4,000 people have reached that summit and Bear is one of them.

Everest or no Everest, I don't a very high opinion of him.

Bear is a bad ***. But like some other bad ***', he got a big head and went for the $$$. Kinda like, say, Navy seals writing books about their active duty.
    Where Bear lost me, I didn't really watch him much before anyway, was when he gave himself an enema with bilge water. Over the top Hollywood crap.

There are several videos around of Bear Grylls drinking urine "to survive". Doesn't seem like a very good role model.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The man has skills. There is no doubt about that. Many of the things that he promotes doing are because he knows that he has support around him. For example drinking urine when in a few hours you'll be drinking a beer at the hotel is not that big a deal. If his show was more honest (all those type shows for that matter) I would have a lot more respect for the "survivalists".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Bear is a bad ***. But like some other bad ***', he got a big head and went for the $$$. Kinda like, say, Navy seals writing books about their active duty.
    Where Bear lost me, I didn't really watch him much before anyway, was when he gave himself an enema with bilge water. Over the top Hollywood crap.
    Despite how disgusting that was, It is a viable way to hydrate. The small intestines are where we absorb most of our water. When water is contaminated, drinking it would incur numerous gastro intestinal issues (amongst other things) but via an enema, the intestines are able to handle this contamination without resulting in sickness. It all comes down to how the contaminated water enters your system.

Personally i would rather a beer or Guinness Stout, lol.

I think my biggest problem with Grylls is all the unnecessary risks that he takes. It seems he always takes the fastest, most dangerous route. Some of his winter climbing techniques though were impressive, like using the snow itself as an anchor as a means to repel down a mountain by creating a deep circular platform in the snow. I have honestly never seen that technique done before and thinking about the method, the physics is sound. Not sure if I would try that though.

Think I would even enjoy his shows more if there were more "Brains" (Bushcraft and innovative ways of creating stuff) and less "Bronze" ( Tarzan'ing from tree to tree or one section of a cliff to another)

And Drinking urine is never a smart idea.