Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Grylls or Mears?

God please make me funny Endworld Guy's Avatar

Default Grylls or Mears?

Ray Mears was asked a while back if people could learn anything from Bear Gryll's TV shows and replied- "Yes, how not to make TV programmes", meaning he didn't think much of Grylls as a survivalist.
    Personally I think both guys shows are okay because on the one hand Mears teaches us how to work with nature, and Grylls shows us how not to fear it.
    So can I ask forum members this question-"Who would you rather be stranded in the middle of nowhere with, Grylls or Mears?"

Blog Entries

Cool Well, since you asked...

This has been discussed over and over again on this forum. Most of the older members have expressed disappointment with BG because of the erroneous and dangerous material that he demonstrates. BG has about a 15% approval rating. I don't know about Ray Mears, but Les Stroud, David Canterbury, and Cody Lundin won out with a wide margin.

Man woman, wild also surpassed BG, but that's only because some of the members thought that Ruth was hot.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Really doesn't matter as both travel with a crew...you know these are TV guys right?

Now check out ManWomen Wild.........Ruth is Hot.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-28-2012 at 05:15 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Looks like deja vu all over again.......
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I plan on taking Bear Grylls along. He'll take all the risks like jumping off cliffs and sliding down steep slopes so I don't have to. And he provides comic relief to keep my spirits up!
    If you can keep your head when all about you, are losing their's and blaming it on you. -Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Ruth is Hot.
    How did I know you were going to say that?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Really doesn't matter as both travel with a crew...you know these are TV guys right?
    Now check out ManWomen Wild.........Ruth is Hot.
    Wow I never heard of MWW or Ruth, where's she been all my life? I'll look at some clips on youtube, and will also look at Les Stroud, David Canterbury, and Cody Lundin, i've never heard of them either!
    As for TV fakery, yeah it happens all the time, but I don't think it's faked when Grylls eats creatures that'd make even Rambo puke, so for sheer entertainment I'll take Grylls..
    Last edited by Endworld Guy; 06-28-2012 at 06:05 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Endworld Guy View Post
    Wow I never heard of MWW or Ruth, where's she been all my life? I'll look at some clips on youtube, and will also look at Les Stroud, David Canterbury, and Cody Lundin, i've never heard of them either!
    As for TV fakery, yeah it happens all the time, but I don't think it's faked when Grylls eats creatures that'd make even Rambo puke, so for sheer entertainment I'll take Grylls..
    Okay for sheer entertainment I understand. However, he's been canned by Discovery, so you'll have to watch his older episodes where he drinks his own pee and squeezes water out of elephant poo. At least he had comfortable sleeping quarters in the Inns that he stayed at.

David & Cody were on the 1st two seasons of Dual Survival, and Cody will be "dualing" it with a new co-star this season, of which we're all in the dark as to who that will be!

Les Stroud, aka "Survivorman" and a Canadian, was the original competition for BG but took a leave of absence. He would go out into his chosen survival areas all alone and film his 7-day adventures. Now he's planning on coming back with 10-day solo jaunts on some specials. Those should be interesting. Ray Mears has not been on any channels that I can get here in the USA, but I am curious.

SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    ..Ray Mears has not been on any channels that I can get here in the USA, but I am curious..
    He's been on Brit TV for years and knows his stuff, but he does it all without Gryll's showmanship and some people therefore find him boring, (he's on youtube).
    Last edited by Endworld Guy; 06-28-2012 at 09:32 PM.

I like Ray Mears just fine. I've watched a lot of his stuff.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I think I could sit around a campfire and have a good conversation with Mears.

Grylls, I can not imagine him allowing a conversation, or understanding one if it ocurred.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Bear Grylls, I'd say probably not. A lot of the people around me, sort of... worship him. So if they read this, it'll probably be my last post! haha. No, in all reality, i've only seen Mears a few times, but I like him more. I don't need to jump off a cliff, break my leg, contract some disease.... although that is worst case scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Endworld Guy View Post
    Grylls eats creatures that'd make even Rambo puke,
    Whoa Whoa buddy, maybe you didn't know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hLY1TYUWp4

Mears is really good at field-craft. I watched one of his vids on sharpening a knife and instantly was turned off by the thought of carrying 3 stones, a Japanese water wheel and a leather strop in my pack.

You can learn all about the wilderness 100 yards from your truck, but, is someone who practices knifecraft inside his comfort zone the person whose tutelage I want to rely on if I'm soaking wet, staring at a boat sunk to the rails, in November, again?

Not sure.

Grylls is just too hard core for me. I like a light dinner after walking 100m across a volcano. Crab Brie, french bread, and a rib eye on fine china is too much.

Mears.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Ray Mears. However, Lofty Wiseman is my personal preference.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Hey, what a funny topic it is! How can you compare two totally different person?

Bear is a showman, an ex-soldier with limited survival knowledge, and Ray is THE bushcraft with an extensive knowledge of survival, natural medicines, plants and animals.

Personally I agree with Winnie, John Wiseman is the master. [I have his masterpiece (SAS survival handbook) in both English and Hungarian.]
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Ray Mears. However, Lofty Wiseman is my personal preference.
    Don't know much about Ray, but haven't heard one negative comment on here about him, so that's a big point in his favor! I do have Lofty Wiseman's book in English, but not Hungarian...I don't read Hungarian!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Warning!

If any of you Bear Grylls fans happen to chance upon BG out in the wild, and he offers you a drink, and you notice that it's yellow in color...trust me on this...it's a good chance that it's NOT lemonade
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    You can learn all about the wilderness 100 yards from your truck, but, is someone who practices knifecraft inside his comfort zone the person whose tutelage I want to rely on if I'm soaking wet, staring at a boat sunk to the rails, in November, again?...........
    That "again" thing really gets on my nerves, you would think that you would learn after the first time.....But, Nooooooooo.
    Chest waders allow you to get deeper into it....before you get really wet.
    Cell phone in plastic bag is a good thing.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, how many times do you have to step on that partially submerged limb to get your water hose in the water only to slide off and go over your boot? I mean, come on.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

There's another fact we need to consider when deciding who we'd like as our leader ---PERSONALITY--- regardless of whether it's Grylls or Mears or anybody else.
    An episode of the classic 1970's TV series 'Survivors' explores the theme nicely when a chap joins the group.
    He's an agricultural college-educated expert and knows absolutely everything about growing crops.
    At first they welcome him because he's such a priceless asset, but as time goes on they get more and more fed up with his snooty insulting manner, and the morale of the group begins to suffer.
    In the end they decide to do it their way with their own limited agricultural knowledge and ignore his way.
    Irked at being ignored, he leaves, and the groups morale begins to climb again..

PS- All 38 'Survivors' episodes are on youtube, I watched them again earlier this year, basically a plague wipes out about 95% of humans and we follow a group trying to survive. It's intelligently scripted with not a zombie in sight.
    Type 'Survivors 1975' into the youtube search box but be warned you'll have to spend some time compiling lots of parts into playlists, eg- (Part 5, Episode4, Series 1 etc), or buy it on DVD.
    Use the WIKI 'Episodes list' for a helpful overview.
    Last edited by Endworld Guy; 06-29-2012 at 03:02 PM.