Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insulating your shelter

Default Insulating your shelter

I just bought my retirement home a few months ago and it was built around 1830's. The house has 24" thick hand layed rock walls with stucco on them. I have been reading trying to find out what kind of insulating value the walls will have. The home is an old alsaca built place. We have very mild winters but hot summers (105 today). I plan on using solar and wind power which are plentiful here as are the city services but I do not have them connected.
    So if anyone has experience with stone as an insulator I would appreciate your knowledge.

I'll let someone else help you with the insulation. Just make certain you have the house tested for radon. All stone (including granite counter tops) releases radon gas; a known radioactive carcinogen.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

The stucco should help some. The stones are a huge thermal mass. They will heat up or cool slowly and transfer that (heat or cold) to the interior without either insulation (this is where the stucco should help). If the wall were "double walled", or left an air space in the wall, that air space is a good insulator as well.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to do some research, but I have in the back of my mind less than an "R" per foot of thickness in a solid stone wall.
    "They call us civilized because we are easy to sneak up on."- Lone Waite

My guess, remember it is a guess, is that it will be close to concrete.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

I would think it would depend on the type of stone used and the porosity of the stone. The more dense the better the insulation. Rather than check for stone wouldn't you want to know the R factor for the type of stone?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I live in the granite capitol of the world and there are several granite houses around here. I hear that they are cold in winter and hot in summer. So I think they do a poor job of insulating.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

.355-.4 R value per inch.

No one here has discovered Google?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

As I said in my previous post - the stone wall (if there is no air space) is a large thermal mass. Just like heating rocks to keep you sleeping area warm for the night, or cooling rocks to chill your food - they will retain the heat (or cold) that is influencing them.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Yes. I've used Google a time or two. Granite is .05 per inch and sandstone/limestone is .08 per inch. That's why I suggested knowing what kind of stone it it.

http://archtoolbox.com/materials-sys...4-rvalues.html

Here's ya another google grab.

Linky

Most are less than 1 per foot.

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Here's ya another google grab.

Linky

Most are less than 1 per foot.
    I think you ment 1 per INCH......anyway.

Around here the energy company will come out an do an energy audit....for free, as part of their "webeenscrewingyaforsolongthatthegovmentisstarting tocatchonsowearedoingstufflikethisasasmokescreen" program.

Many times the walls are very hard to add r'value to, not to good of a bang for the buck ratio.

Windows, doors attic, foundation etc are much better ratios.

You said retirement home.....so there may be retirement up grades depending on income.....at least there were a few programs up around here, where the electric/gas company would subtidize new window doors insulation as well as new equiptment.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I think you ment 1 per INCH.....

Nope, 1 per foot.

The stated values in the table are per inch. So, for the first Granite listing it is .083 per inch. Multiply that times twelve to get per foot.

12 x .083 = .996 per foot

Quote Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
    Nope, 1 per foot.

The stated values in the table are per inch. So, for the first Granite listing it is .083 per inch. Multiply that times twelve to get per foot.

12 x .083 = .996 per foot
    OK You are right and I'm wrong.......didn't look it up.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Forgot your guzintas didn't ya?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    .355-.4 R value per inch.

No one here has discovered Google?

I googled Google and got Google...

The walls are limestone and are about 24" thick. I would think with that much mass the sun would be down before the heat of the day could transfer to the interior. I guess I will find out this summer the temps are already 100+ in west Texas. I have to replace the roof and I believe I will try that spray foam on the under side to keep the attic space cool that should help.
    Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    The stucco should help some. The stones are a huge thermal mass. They will heat up or cool slowly and transfer that (heat or cold) to the interior without either insulation (this is where the stucco should help). If the wall were "double walled", or left an air space in the wall, that air space is a good insulator as well.
    This is true to my knowledge. I am a residential construction worker.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    This is true to my knowledge. I am a residential construction worker.
    Have you worked with the expanding foam? I hear that's it is good stuff or how about the sip panels? I was thinking Of the panels for my new roof structure. This house is all original, i am not sure if I could have raised my family in it for its only 15X19 interior space but people seem to have been able to do with less 150 years ago when the house was built. I am not interested in (surviving) in this retirement home I just want to be more independent.
    I think I can make do with just solar and wind power in a home with such a small foot print. My children were raised on our boat and we mother nature provided all our power needs for seven years.

Winter by looking at your picture I assume you are also a grunt! If so where.