Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insulating your shelter

I've used expanding foam, but not SIP panels.

Instead of using the sip panels for the new roof, why not save money and use 1 1/2" foam sheets with 2x4" pearlings and an interlocking metal roof.

Grunt, I did LRS for AKNG.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Forgot your guzintas didn't ya?
    Gesundheit!

Let's take a stroll back in time.

Beginning in the late 1970's rock (and concrete) walls were touted as effective heat-sinks. This means that, if they're exposed to the sun in daytime, they'll gather and absorb heat. At night they'll re-radiate the absorbed heat back into the structure. (Etc., etc.)

Therefore rock walls can be a blessing. a curse, or somewhere in between. It depends on how exposed they are to daytime heat sources (e.g. the sun) and how much heat you wish to be radiated back into the house at night. If they're properly positioned and used, they can be a blessing. Otherwise, they can be a curse.

Clear as mud, right?

Regards,

-- Nighteyes
    Last edited by Daniel Nighteyes; 06-29-2012 at 08:14 PM.

deleted....
    Last edited by Renatus; 02-10-2015 at 06:46 AM.

As the OP was referring to a retro fit, not a designed home from the get go.....retro fit techniques need to be the subject.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Good point H63. IMO insulating on the outside of the structure, while altering the appearance greatly, would diminish the heat/cold sink issues with the stone.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I assume you are going to insulate the attic as well? That and the crawl space, if you have one, will probably pay your greatest dividends considering the construction of the walls.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

What are SIP panels? I've never really heard that term at least not as an abbreviation.

Is the stonework exposed on the interior of the house? If so, you can definitely spray foam the entire interior structure. However you would want to finish it would be up to you. As Rick said, overhead insulating will have a big impact as well. You can also stucko the exterior walls.

I guess the real question is what do you want? Do you want to keep aesthetics, maximize R value, or somewhere in between?

SIP=Structural Insulated Panels.......a sandwich if you will of panel board of some sort filled with ridge foam insulation.
    http://www.sips.org/about/what-are-sips/

Work very well in new buildings, but i thinking a real nightmare for retro fit.

JG is spot on, what do you what it to look like?

I'm dealing with and interesting dilemma at "The place".....roof desperately need some insulation of some sort, just roof rafters, lumber and roofing.

Problem is loft area is sleeping area with limited head room, so kinda depends on sticking your head between the rafters at times......
    1)...so filling it in would reduce head room.
    2) filling the 6" space would not allow for any circulation between insulating and wood roofing boards.

Possible solutions are:
    1) a partially filled space, with wood tongue and groove cover for autistics,
    2) re-roof with steel, with 1-1/2 foam panels underneath ...and a partically filled space.

Or make arrangements to spend winter months in the south and not worry about it too much.....
    Jury still out.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I was involved with a factory made adobe type brick building (Houses) in Pahrump Nevada with 16 inch walls. IIRC the owners only had to heat the house once every three days in the winter and only ran the AC once every 3 days in the Nevada summer. This was after they had brought the temp up or down, depending on if it was summer or winter, to their desired temp.

this might help
    http://www.buildinggreen.com/auth/ar...nfusing-Issue/

http://greenbuildingelements.com/200...-thermal-mass/

http://www.concretethinker.com/solut...rmal-Mass.aspx
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll let someone else help you with the insulation. Just make certain you have the house tested for radon. All stone (including granite counter tops) releases radon gas; a known radioactive carcinogen.
    JEEZ, man! EVERYTHING is going to kill us!

Uh, yeah, eventually. Probably just one of them, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

one thing i suggest before u do anything go down to the nearest historical society and find out if your new /old house is on the historical list if it is you cant make any external changes alot people find out the hard way their new/old home cant be even semi modernised
    Last edited by old2531; 03-01-2013 at 07:57 PM.