Thread: Has mother nature and weather caused you to consider a plan B

Default Has mother nature and weather caused you to consider a plan B

The heat has come this way we have had three days over a 100 degrees this week and not much rain fall. The streams and creeks are really starting to run low in my bug out location. The paln B I have is further away not fun if I have to travel on foot.

Wildfires play a part in planning process also. We have had a fire that has burned over 50K acres turning it into a wasteland that will take years to recover making it useless for bugging out no plants and animals for awhile, Wildfires with no one to fight them in a SHTF situation could effect a larger area and being caught in one not a good thing.

This can effect both those bugging in and out.

No. I'm a bug in kind of guy. I don't have a single bug out location but several based on which direction I need to go. I've made no changes in my plans.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Personally I like the bugs out of the house, and me in it. For comfort, but if you want bugs in the house Rick I say go for it.

That's freedom for you, isn't it?

Thad :-)
    Thaddius Bickerton

To be honest - my plan A preparations are Mother Nature related. Of course, there is a lot of redundancy when discussing realistic disaster scenarios, so preps that are natural disaster related will also encompass a lot of other follies that could befall us.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just plan my day around Mother Nature. Keep my storm bag under the back seat and tools in toolbox in bed of truck.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.

I try to stay in. If I need to bug out, it would be to a relatives place. I have family all over the US so not too much concern for me.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You are having a taste of that old quote from von Moltke?

"No plan survives first contact with the enemy." In this case Mother Nature.

That is my feeling about bugging out. If I can have really bad days right here at home what happens when I leave and stir in a bunch of goofballs with BOBs headed everywhere but where they need to be?

BTW, what is plan C, D and E ???
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by KY
    If I can have really bad days right here at home what happens when I leave and stir in a bunch of goofballs with BOBs headed everywhere but where they need to be?
    along with not knowing the area, resources and threats. Yeah. I'm in his camp. I know what's around here and what isn't. It's sort of the difference in knowing where the shark is vs. where the shark isn't.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you paint some rocks at known distances you not only know where he is but how much hold over to allow!

Garden gnomes have more than one application.

Now that is a great idea.....note to self, garden gnomes (DW hates those things, I'll tell her they are targets.....yeah that's the ticket)..... with orange hats-50 meters, red hats-100 meters, blue hats -150 meters, green hats- 200 meters.....trip wires @.... oh wait did I say that?.....never mind.

Carry on.
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-27-2012 at 12:10 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Don't forget to hit the fence posts up and down the road with the proper color markers too! It does not take but just a dot from a spray can to give you the reference you need.

When I lived in suburbia I even had the curbs and fire hydrants zeroed in.

The system works great with bullet drop compensators on a good heavy barrel varmit rig. Eliminates all range "estimation".

I also like to keep my motion sensor lights set so that if they come on I know the target in already inside shotgun range.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Interesting aside here, Ky. Just prior to the Greeks siege on the city of Troy Hector had stones painted at predetermined distances so the archers and catapults would know precisely when to fire. Great strategy.

I won't bother mentioning how that worked out for Hector and the city but it was a great strategy none-the-less.

Neighbor - "Krat, why are you spray painting an orange dot on my house?"
    Krat - "You are 50 meters."
    Neighbor -"Huh? And why did you spray red, blue and green dots on some of the other houses?"
    Krat - "Well, DUH! They're not 50 meters."
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Interesting aside here, Ky. Just prior to the Greeks siege on the city of Troy Hector had stones painted at predetermined distances so the archers and catapults would know precisely when to fire. Great strategy.

I won't bother mentioning how that worked out for Hector and the city but it was a great strategy none-the-less.
    Just because they lost doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea.

I've marked distances from tree stands for years, but I like useing like 17,...23, 27, 31 yrds etc.
    Deer don't stand on in the right spot all the time.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, but when you do that the deer are apt to move the signs around on you. Nothing worse than a covey of deer laughing at you because all your shots are fallin' short.