Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where to go in the USA for wilderness survival (for 3 months)

Quote Originally Posted by gryffynklm View Post
    50 miles or 50 yards from civilization. If you want to "go surviving" it shouldn't matter. If you can't resist the temptation to avoid and do without the modern available resources 50 yards away, 50 miles can be a real mess when you actually do need them.

Let us know how your planning goes and take pictures.
    What this man says.

Greetings,

After Reading post on restrictions to hunting, fishing etc...

When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons
    I'm looking for, but in the USA all of them are taken up?

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much. Of course its so humid, and everything on the ground wants to eat you.

Nice thing about Thailand and Cambodia is that not even the government cares if you want to survive in the wilderness.
    You don't have to worry about restrictions at all. Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words, Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need.
    You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.
    And as far as an "Intro" goes. This topic will remain just for a good location. Not my life story.

Also, as some of you are saying that if I have the skills to do this, then I should already know the location...
    I don't live in America, I travel to much to have an immense geographical and ecological understanding of the country...
    I don't have access to Americans, so I can't ask you people in person. Along the internet... it has come up short on trying find a good spot. Not reliable at all. The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.

I picked the USA because I like the environment and vast variations of landscape, if I did not like one area I could go to a different state, instead of a different country.

Europe has way to many restrictions on what I'm planning on doing.

I don't care about a "fee" to do this in a location, under $1000 would be nice.
    So would you recommend a private or government owned land?

Maybe private, because I can deal with the private owner in person?

the Appalachian trail sounds nice, but how are the hunting/fishing laws? (sounds like the best so far)

I should have added though, that I'm planning on taking this trip January - August. (2013)

Central Alaska was pretty warm during July, but after that it seems to get pretty cold, ideas?

Thanks again and keep posting!

As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need.
    You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.
    Likewise - good luck should be all the advice you need.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Greetings,

When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much. Of course its so humid, and everything on the ground wants to eat you.

Nice thing about Thailand and Cambodia is that not even the government cares if you want to survive in the wilderness.
    You don't have to worry about restrictions at all. Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words, Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?

And as far as an "Intro" goes. This topic will remain just for a good location. Not my life story.

Also, as some of you are saying that if I have the skills to do this, then I should already know the location...
    I don't live in America, I travel to much to have an immense geographical and ecological understanding of the country...
    I don't have access to Americans, so I can't ask you people in person. Along the internet... it has come up short on trying find a good spot. Not reliable at all. The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.

I picked the USA because I like the environment and vast variations of landscape, if I did not like one area I could go to a different state, instead of a different country.

the Appalachian trail sounds nice, but how are the hunting/fishing laws? (sounds like the best so far)

I should have added though, that I'm planning on taking this trip January - August. (2013)

Central Alaska was pretty warm during July, but after that it seems to get pretty cold, ideas?

You could do interior Alaska in July and August but no way could you do it in Jan, Feb. and probably March.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

When it comes to ideal conditions on the location, it is true that most of those spots have been taken for the exact reasons I'm looking for, but in the USA all of them are taken up?

We have many more government restrictions since 9-1-1; not to mention the screening that someone coming from the country that you would be coming from would probably have to go through.

I've done wilderness survival in southern Thailand and northern Cambodia for both 1 month at a time and enjoyed it very much.
    Really? And what went wrong that you had to survive it?

Well, our government understands that "survival" means that you are in a "life or death" situation and would have no problem with you doing that...however, playing "Man vs. Wild" is something else again.

Looks like the USA has plenty more restrictions, on that basis, is Canada any better? in other words...
    I'll leave this for the Canadian members to answer, I have no clue.

Would you guys say that Canada is less restrictive when it comes to this situation?
    See above.

As far as "skills" goes... If I say I know how to do it, that should be all the information you need. You should know what skills are needed for that situation and assume that I know them, as I intended you did.
    This was the WRONG thing to post! Smart-Arse comments will not win you any friends on this site! To "ASSUME" anything is to "make an A*S out of YOU and ME! "A*S/U/ME, remember?

Well, this was your 2nd "smart-arse" remark, and it just damaged your credibility here. Nobody asked for your life story bud, just some basic info that would help us know who we're talking to. I'm beginning to think that you're a Troll, and my finger is inching over to the "ban" button. Tread carefully. Intro 1st, info 2nd, that's a fair trade if you ask me.

The best way I have of finding a good location at the present moment is by you, and the experiences you have with the country.
    Which you're not going to get by insulting us!

Each State has it's own regulations, you can contact them for that info via the internet!

Yeah? Wait until you research the USA!

Without knowing more about you I decline to answer.

You just answered your own question, however, please remember to answer any questions that the landowner may ask, truthfully and politely. Smart-arse comments, like those you've given us, will, more than likely, be counter-productive to what you want to do.

You're going to have to do your own homework by contacting each state and finding out what their "non-resident" licenses cost. Also, if you are not either a natuarl-born or naturlized citizen of the USA, then that might also work against you!

Yes! It DOES get pretty cold because it's so close to the North pole! I would advise to take plenty of extra-warm clothing and sleeping gear unless you REALLY want to experience a TRUE survival situation!

No problem!
    Last edited by Sarge47; 06-23-2012 at 09:35 AM.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Banned

Greetings,

Best of luck on your adventures when you get to America! Sounds like you have some diverse experiences in many different places.

Are you trying to improve some of your skills in any sort of fashion? Certain places and scenarios might be better challenges for you -- based off of what your end game/goals may be. Is there anything in particular that you are trying to learn or gain from this experience? At any rate, I respect your privacy and you as a person. I can understand your reasons for not telling us certain things. Some of us just like to ask around here to give better advice and tailor it to the person, ya know?

Here is a good website for information on the Appalachian Trail. Basic rules and regulations: http://traveltips.usatoday.com/appal...ons-63252.html

If there is anything else we can help you with, we will leave the light on for ya!
    Last edited by Warheit; 06-23-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Louisiana Bayou is what i would choose if i were you.

Blog Entries

Post Fyi...

Here's some info on the 3 extensive hiking trails that are available to Hikers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachian_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Divide_Trail

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Crest_Trail

Just to show you how prepared you're going to have to be, each trail system covers several states, so you would need a non-resident fishing license for each state that you are planning on fishing in. Then, most states now have strict "catch and release" laws in effect for many of their fishing areas, you would need to be informed on that as well. Be advised that illegal fishing can solve your food and shelter needs for quite some time as American jails do feed inmates. Then there may be a problem with the fact that you're not a U.S. Citizen. I have no info on that at the moment, however you would need to check that out as well. Also look into the "leave no trace" requirements for camping. Remember, just because you term what you want to do as "surviving," that is not how Government Forest Rangers look at it. If you are not in a bad situation then you are just "hiking and camping."
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Take a look at southeast Alaska.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Keep an eye on burn bans as well. It seems to be a hot topic in several regions of the us right now. That might effect your choice on fuel and stove choices.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Blog Entries

Cool Another thing....

I almost forgot, many of the primitive woods here are harboring illegal drug labs set up by Meth dealers so the Feds keep a close eye out for them as well. Just a heads-up.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Post Also...

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    I almost forgot, many of the primitive woods here are harboring illegal drug labs set up by Meth dealers so the Feds keep a close eye out for them as well. Just a heads-up.
    Here's a lot more info on the problems that government officers are facing and cracking down on here in the states:

https://www.google.com/webhp?source=...w=1024&bih=653
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

The US will have too many restrictions for you. I would look at Australia. Or, Africa.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

You have over 2.75 million acres of wilderness down here. If you wanted to live down here you could.

Greetings,

After looking at restrictions on states hunting/trapping laws, Alaska is by far the easiest.

I'll probably go about 50 miles North-West of Fairbanks.

Since "1stimestar" Recommended I go in July and August, I'll be going then.

If you guys have any tips for Alaska that would be great.

Thanks again, and keep posting!

After watching 1stimestar's Thriller video I would take a bug head net with me.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Blog Entries

Post I agree...

Greetings,

After looking at restrictions on states hunting/trapping laws, Alaska is by far the easiest.

I'll probably go about 50 miles North-West of Fairbanks.

Since "1stimestar" Recommended I go in July and August, I'll be going then.

If you guys have any tips for Alaska that would be great.

Thanks again, and keep posting!
    Yeah, you're probably right. For some more input on Alaska you should get a hold of Sourdough. If you go there watch out for Griz!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

A nonresident alien must be personally accompanied by a licensed guide to hunt ANY big game animal, including black bear, brown/grizzly bear, bison, caribou, Dall sheep, deer, elk, moose, mountain goat, muskox, wolf* and wolverine.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Ya'll have aliens up there too? It'll be Bigfoot next, you just watch.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hey Rick, We have them here in Arizona. HEE HEE. I also get a kick out of some of the so called survivalist on here when they say if you want to learn to survive don't go to Az. , Co. , Nm., and so on. If your learning to survive learn to survive in all places, You never know where your flight in life will put you. SEMPER FI.
    Last edited by Woodmaster750; 06-26-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    The Great Spirit and Country. Semper Fi.