Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where to go in the USA for wilderness survival (for 3 months)

Default Where to go in the USA for wilderness survival (for 3 months)

Greetings readers,

I've been wanting to go out in the wilderness somewhere in the USA for a long time, I know how to stay out there with the tools I'm bringing, but I don't know where in the USA is the best place to go. After considering what is ideal for outdoor survival I've come up with the following.

Things I'm looking for:

Nice climate 50F - 90F. Like the weather in Virginia during the summer.

Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping.

Rich Eco system, lots of trees and rivers.

Far away from any man-made structures, and people (50+ Miles) (AKA, Remote)

I hope someone has a good location, above is ideal, and 100% needed.

I'm looking for a challenge, and something to get away from it all for 3 months.
    So don't post if you're trying to convince me otherwise ha ha.

I still have a while till I do this, but being prepared along with planning are the first two things to get done.

I'll be taking some courses and reading books on medical uses for plants, edible plants. Including basic and complex outdoor survival methods.

If anyone has any suggestions on this topic, that would be great and very much appreciated. The more information the better!

Thank you very much for reading!
    --
    Survivalist.

High Alpine and Desert aren't good. That leaves out Utah, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, California, Idaho, Wyoming. You might find a place in Texas, but it will be on private land, so you will have to pay someone. BLM and NF have a 2 week time limit for one place, so you will have to move every 2 weeks or so.

Not to sound harsh or anything, but generally people who know how, also know where. Just sayin.....
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Washington State, Oregon.

Get a Miner's Permit.
    Don't run, you'll only die tired!

There is no place you can stay for 3 months without paying for it or getting permission from the land owner. Since you didn't give us information on age, skills, etc. I'll just give you this link to read through.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ve-in-the-Wild
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post
    Greetings readers,

I'm looking for a challenge, and something to get away from it all for 3 months.
    So don't post if you're trying to convince me otherwise ha ha.
    Survivalist.
    When on Gods Earth will we get a sticky we can simply link this eternal loop in the space time continuium into? The "run away to the wilderness" thread should be required reading, with a quiz, before anyone can register on this forum!

So, you want only positive feedback with no connection to reality!! What are you about 12? Bet you've been told you were special and could do anything you set you mind too for your whole life havn't you? Got a bunch of "participation trophies" on a shelf in your bedroom for running around with your brain in neutral I'll bet.

You came to the wrong place.

Each section of the nation has these places called "wilderness areas" or sometimes called "hiking trails". You, the well studied and experienced survivalist, never heard of these places, correct?

Two predominant ones that meet each of your qualifications in at least one of their sections at some point in the weather cycle are the Appalation Trail (it's been in use nearly 100 years now and you never heard of it) and in the western U.S. the Pacific Coast Trail.

Both of these locations are specifically designed for people that want to get away from it all for 2 or 3 months. You can get as remote as you wish. On some sections of the Pacific Coast trail you will not see other humans for days on end. that trail streches from Mexico to Canada.

The AT streches from Georgia to Maine. That means that if you live on the east coast you are within 3 hours drive. I accessed it by buss and came home by buss just a few years ago. Did not even need a car to access the trail. Stayed in it from June, when school let out, till August when it kicked back up.

Several states in the eastern U.S. have protected wilderness areas which are maintained just for your use. Some are quite large. The Daniel Boone National Forest runs from the Tennessee border north completely across Kentucky to the Ohio River. If you jump across the river you have access to halfway up Ohio. This same woods streches unbroken in to West VA, though that part is privately owned.

You do not say where you live, or how old you are, but if you live east of the Mississippi River and have a driver's liscense you will be within a 6 hour drive of one or more of these stated locations. They were placed in the locations where they are just for this reason, reasonable access of the major part of the U.S. population to wilderness areas. There was a time when that was considered a necessity.

Anyone with enough experience to survive in these areas would already know this information. Stay home and keep studying so the SAR people are not tasked with finding or identifying another body in the woods.

If you, go as you have stated you positively will, let us know when you leave and when you give up and scurry back to the airconditioning and comfort of the nearest McDonalds. We need the information for the payoff of the bets laid down on your length of stay.

You see, we get two or three of these querries each week. If everyone that asked us this same question actually went to the woods the wilderness areas of the world would be very heavily populated indeed.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 06-22-2012 at 11:35 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Interior Alaska in the summer.

If you are serious about this.....contact each state, you mentioned Virgina?.....Did you contact their DNR or even tourist agencies?.....About your desires?

Have you laid out a plan?...... if so, you need to lay it out for us so you can get meaningful answers.......Comes under the heading of doing your homework.

Are you asking if any of us has land that we allow people to play on, for no money?......Yes?/.No?,... outfitters charge for use of their posesions, be it land, gear, knowlage.......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Sorry, KY. He said 50 miles from people. Neither the AT nor PCT qualify. You're also making the assumption they would read it before posting the question. That's the whole reason I did the link I gave so I can just link them to a sticky. And it's not personal so go sit in the shade with some sweet tea, your .22 and a raccoon call.

Survival - We get about 3-4 of these posts a week. Little or no information and want to know where to go or what to take, which is a red flag about their skills and knowledge.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

SURVIVALIST - " ... Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping."
    Don't forget you'll be required to have a hunting license, a fishing license, and a trapping license, to "live off the land," and during the "pleasant weather" season, hunting seasons are closed for big game and most small game.

Game Wardens frown severely at poachers. If a person thinks he can poach all the game he wants and when the Game Warden comes around, just hide somewhere, do a search for one "Claude Dallas."

Seems a lot of the people who just want to "get away" and live a "life of freedom," in the Great Outdoors, etc., have watched "Jeremiah Johnson" once too often.

Here in Idaho, there exists the largest wilderness area in the United States, the River Of No Return Wilderness. I've done a lot of hiking and hunting in it. No matter its huge size, there is no place in it where one could be 50 miles away from roads and camps and people. Best of luck if you try it, but you'd be better off to go out in the boonies for three or four days and find out if three months would be to your liking.

S.M.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

He lost me with the title of the thread and his screen name. Sorry "Survivalist," I don't know of any places like that. However, where ever you go, make sure you have those organ-doner cards filled out!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Troll??????
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

Blog Entries

Post Hmmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Troll??????
    Could be, or maybe just somebody who's:

A.) Trying to "get away from it all."

B.) OD'd on too much Bear Grylls.

C.) Thinks that the definition of the term "survival" means "another form of camping."

The truth is, without a proper intro or something in their profile, we don't have any idea who we're responding too. It could be a teenager who's having trouble at home, an older, but immature, adult, or a male or female, take your pick. We have no idea of the experience level of said person, but we do know that what they are wanting is unrealistic. We also know that they're only going to listen to the answers that they want and like. I have made a vow to never again call people like this "numpties," but it's a difficult vow to keep, let me tell you.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Central Park after nightfall....

Survivalist - since you are currently posting from Thailand - you are going to have to provide a whole lot more information in order to receive any meaningful advice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Boundary Waters.

He can't do boundary water. Every square inch is either National Park, National Forest or Provincial Park. Besides, it's inside the 50 mile unsafe limit.

Door sign says "wet paint" avoid it or just go ahead and push it open....you know you are gonna get sticky..... aw man........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    He can't do boundary water. Every square inch is either National Park, National Forest or Provincial Park. Besides, it's inside the 50 mile unsafe limit.
    Sometimes gangsters like Survivalist just gotta bang they hammers! (A saying me and my buddies have, not calling him a "gangster" pejoratively -- :P) I hope he figures it out. He has a lot of restrictions and guideliness and I don't think I can help offer him advice.

ANYHOO -- Stay safe, Survivalist! Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Survivalist View Post

Things I'm looking for:

Nice climate 50F - 90F. Like the weather in Virginia during the summer.

Rich environment, good for fishing, hunting and trapping.

Rich Eco system, lots of trees and rivers.

Far away from any man-made structures, and people (50+ Miles) (AKA, Remote)
    I know places in the desert that you can be 50 miles away from people and buildings, but then it is the desert, not a rich eco-system with lots of trees and rivers. Canada might work, but it isn't in the US. Alaska is probably your best bet. But then it probably doesn't have summer temps like those in Virginia. Most places with a rich eco system with lots of trees and rivers, and a nice climate, also have people. People like to go a live or recreate in those places. The places that people aren't usually have a reason for this.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

50 miles or 50 yards from civilization. If you want to "go surviving" it shouldn't matter. If you can't resist the temptation to avoid and do without the modern available resources 50 yards away, 50 miles can be a real mess when you actually do need them.

Let us know how your planning goes and take pictures.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.