Thread: Alot closer than you think

Default Alot closer than you think

so yesterday i went for a walk around my neighborhood to pick some berries. Pretty close to my house the berries were, i did a full circle around the police station. 4 different berry patches in all. I then began thinking of the further away spots like the park up the street, or the woods by the river. The list could go on and on, and to think all in my town, most walking distance! So after sweating all moisture out of my already parched body trekking round the area in 90 something degree weather, you could imagine how dunce like i felt when i look next to my garage and found theres a large bumper crop of berries. Right under my nose!

Nah. You're just saving the easy ones for last.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have to ask.....

How many cops were chasing you?

It's amazing how much food is available right under our nose. We don't have to make trips to the woods to find them just look around. I had a new neighbor move in last year and they didn't spray their yard. Consequently they had a good crop of dandelions. They eyed me kind of funny when I asked if I could pick them. Pine trees in abundance around here. Purslane everywhere. Thistle. Food is everywhere.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I have to ask.....

How many cops were chasing you?

It's amazing how much food is available right under our nose. We don't have to make trips to the woods to find them just look around. I had a new neighbor move in last year and they didn't spray their yard. Consequently they had a good crop of dandelions. They eyed me kind of funny when I asked if I could pick them. Pine trees in abundance around here. Purslane everywhere. Thistle. Food is everywhere.
    Because these berries were not made into jam and stuffed in a doughnut the cops let me take them. Could you imagine being arrested for picking berries. I got lots of purslane in my yard. curious do you eat the pine nuts from said pine trees?

I have acres of Pine Trees, enough to feed a village. However after trying to eat a Pine Bud, I realized I had enough for the entire Nation.

Personally, I drink the tea although the cambium is edible. Here's a great thread on fried pine by RangerXanatos

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ght=pine+fried
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by feral chef View Post
    Because these berries were not made into jam and stuffed in a doughnut the cops let me take them. Could you imagine being arrested for picking berries. I got lots of purslane in my yard. curious do you eat the pine nuts from said pine trees?
    Not far from here is a state a Wildlife Area, Actually an old SAC base that got shut down before it was opened.......

Multi use area, a truly cool place to go for all sorts of out door activities.

DO NOT PICK anything, unless you have a permit from the naturalist........That even includes "weed worms" gaul on a weed stalk that contains a larva used for fishing bait.
    Too bad... as there is a few apple orchards left over from the farmsteads that were destroyed in the 1950 to make the place back then.........some how or other our hunting walks always seems to go thru one of them so we could steal some apples.....Particulary when I would take all the neighborhood kids a(and my own) along to use as bird dogs......
    One little girl asked me after I had picked her an apple....."Who do we have to pay?".....sad.

Yeah, if you know what you are looking for all sorts of stuff to pick.

"The Place" has black berries to the point of being a PITA, raspberries, wild strawberries (really small and sweet).....and that is just walking down to the shed from the house.

It is important to keep your eyes and mind open at all times.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Where I do most of my deer hunting is about a 30 minute canoe trip from the cabin on the Sabine. It's also the source of gals of blackberries each season. We also get a few out back here at the home place. All you need to do is open your eyes and berries are everywhere in this area. Guy down the road had a tree go down from the weight of the wild muscadine vines. Convinced him to leave it there till we can harvest the berries later in the season. Now all I have to do is chainsaw the tree up after the harvest. lol Hey nothing's free I guess.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

I moved into a different home a year and a half ago and have a virtual grocery store mother nature has provided, I go for a walk even across the street and even more no wonder thers so many animals around. Scored a huge supply of Yarrow last Saturday and have it drying currently. The grand kids were here for the weekend and we had fresh rasberry pancakes after they spent their first night in a tent.
    Semper Paratus