Thread: Black walnut question

Default Black walnut question

We don't have many English walnut trees around here (never see one) but black walnut trees are pretty common.

How safe are they to eat?

Is the issue that there is so much more acid in the black walnuts that they are more likely to give a person stomach problems?

Is there a way to leech black walnuts like acorns?

Bulrush - He's an article from the University of Minnesota.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...404blkwal.html

Please note that if the walnuts are not properly cured they will mold. You don't want to go to all the trouble and then have your nuts get moldy.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

black walnut is good. they grow everywhere in my area. the only reason they're not grown commercially is that they aren't as easily separated from the shell. it's also a fine bow wood. if you have problems with them being too bitter [i've not really had a problem] try cold water leaching, just make sure they are dried well afterwards, or that mold problem will become a bigger one.
    Last edited by canid; 02-27-2008 at 01:26 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

You don't want to go to all the trouble and then have your nuts get moldy.
    I thought they had a medicine for that. Ha ha!

yeah, but it turns you blue
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.