Thread: Bargin Shoping For Gear and Clothing

Default Bargin Shoping For Gear and Clothing

Scored today at the outlet stores today. Hit the clearance section at Eddie Bauer, get this 70% off scored some nice sweaters for the next winter. Also scored at 65 lumen tent lantern at Coleman, saving 65%. Probably the best deal on clothing ive got at a store. The Columbia store had some Mtn Hardware stuff on sale @30% off but still more than I wanted to spend.

Ive some some great stuff at garage sales for gea,r camp stoves, ear protection for shooting, knives ect.

Where have you found your best deals?

Clearance racks

Garage sales

Websites

Criags list
    Last edited by colorado plainsman; 06-16-2012 at 09:30 PM.

Sometime the clearance racks in stores, but mostly yard sales and flea markets for me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I agree with Crash, Yard sales and flea markets. I do always check out the clearance section of every store I go into.....just in case! I have found good things there too, but not as much/good as yard sales and flea markets.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

I've been pretty lucky at Goodwill. This area donates some nice outdoor stuff. Garage sales are always a winner. I scored two GRMS radios at one for $3. And they worked!!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I got several good scores at Goodwill:
    Wrangler zip-off pants $3
    2 pr desert cammo BDU pants $6 for both
    Gen I ecwcs parka and pants ( like new) $20
    Columbia Sportswear Goretex rain jacket (which I re-treated with ReviveX) $8
    Go there once a week.

I used to get good deals at Sportsmans Guide but have not seen much there lately.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Banned

Flea markets, garage sales or second hand shops (Salvation Army, Goodwill, other local stores that do that) seem to always have good deals.

Blog Entries

Cool Well...

No flea markets or Goodwill stores around here. So it's 99% yard sales. When I get the chance I'll post some some pics.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Senior Member Thaddius Bickerton's Avatar

Why I just go hunt me up a couple of mastadons n skin em with my nice homemade flintrock special uber skinner then I just use a nice bone awl i fashioned myself and sew em up. LOL

Just teasing ya , but what with all the chuck it all posts I keep seeing it just brought out my smart alec streak.

Truth, I find most stuff at yard sales, and in the penny papers, and also have family in places where bargans happen who know I like stuff and grab it for me such as wool cloths from the ones living more up north. Get a few wool shirts and such every year.

This past year I got a nice wool coat for $10 off the unclaimed garbage rack at one of those stores that buys luggage from airports etc. That was rare, usually they think their stuff should sell for new prices.

Thad.
    Thaddius Bickerton

Most of my finds are at thrift stores. The best ones are the ones in rich neighborhoods. They get a lot more donations of high end stuff, and there are less people to buy it. There is a local thrift store here called Deseret Industries that is run by my church. They have a lot of stores in the state and redistribute goods to other stores. The stores next to colleges and the poorer neighborhoods are usually stripped clean. Anyways, food for thought.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

We like big flea markets, where there is some competition, yard sales ....been getting real picky on these as of late.......seems to be a big overage on baby clothes, Little tikes plastic toys, (too bad the parents didn't invest in real estate)......

Too bad the TV shows have convinced some people their stuff in worth millions.......

I hit Goodwill once in a while....haven't had much luck lately.

I do like the bargin bins or "seconds and returns" areas in big stores.....never know.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

On Goodwill, check to see when old folks day is in your area. Around here, anyone over 50 gets a 10% break on Wednesday so, as you might expect, it gets pretty picked over on Wednesday. If you show up Thursday it looks like a desert. Show up on Tuesday and you can generally find some deals.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL, I hear ya on the "senior Wednesday" deal....last time I was there, I found a ceramic dish, with blue dutch figures on it for like $2 bucks.....DW kinda looks for different pieces of this stuff.....so building up my brownie points a showed up at the check out......

Lady behind the counter ask if I had a "card"....I said no.....then she handed me a application for one...but I didn't want to hold up the line, so I told her that "That's OK" I'll fill it out later. The lady behind me in line, handed the check out lady her card, and says, "Here use this....."

They were bound and determined I was gonna get that discount.....

Morel to this story, Yes, shop on Tuesday.....beware of little old ladies with time on their hands......LOL

PS......Well, I be dipped in horse hinkey, the auto save feature just saved my buttocks
    Last edited by hunter63; 06-19-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Went to K-Mart Sunday and got two Gerber Vise mini-tools for $1.50 apiece.
    Wilderness Survival:
    Surviving a temporary situation where you're lost in the wilderness

Don't forget to cruise the gun shows on the last day (usually Sunday). The merchandise is picked-over, sure, but from time to time one can find -- or haggle -- some real bargains.

A favorite example -- as stated on another and much earlier thread -- is WWII stainless-steel canteens. Be sure to take a bore-light or similar, and examine the insides carefully, but one can often pick up extremely usable examples for five dollars or less. Heck, that's cheaper than any modern-day stainless water bottle -- and most of the modern ones don't hold a full quart.