Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Who here would just love to live out in the wilderness

Banned

I do this every month.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Indicating poor planning?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by dizralph View Post
    I do this every month.
    What? Write about it? Based on some of your other posts I have to ask....Do you ever spend time in the woods, and how old are you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i know i couldnt do it now maybe ever alot of these people want to live in 1840 i suggest they go live with the amish for a yr -you have to be farmer ,home builder,blacksmith, mineral miner ,geologist (finding water ) ,horse **** shovaler,and vet ,doc,lumberman,hunter,buggy maker all in one person thats a big task to ask one person to have all those skills but to survive you must ,min for emergencies id get a ham radio licence and a radio that works off batterys so when your personnal shtf you can still call for help instead of starting the whole forest on fire shooting red flares up im a rookie in this invironment i come here for knowledge to help add to what i know already you gentlemen and ladys have saved my life and you dont even know it i was like these lets go run away to the woods people just by reading your wisdom from your vast combinded experience ive decided on much smarter choices --oh and if u bring a dog with u can you pack it out hurt if u have to i wouldnt go to live in the woods with anything less than an a 60 lbs dog if u take one at all
    Last edited by old2531; 03-01-2013 at 07:39 PM.

Blog Entries

Cool Hmmmm...

10 posts, 3 days, and hasn't been back in over 6 months. I wonder if he's figured out that when he joins the Navy he's going to be in a wholly different type of "Society?".....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

we certainly could do it HOWEVER Its not my first choice .. this little self sufficient homestead is quite enuf work Thank you very much .. its a 6 hours a day job now without hunting or shelter maintenance .. Ive lived off the land for 4 months at a time and i was always very happy to see even primitive luxury upon return LOL !

IMG_1652.jpg
    THE PROSPECTOR ! !

I'm about to host about my 15th SEHowl - a 9 day primitive campout. One thing I've noticed is that, during this thing, all my autoimmune problems go away, I have less trouble with my heart (and heart medicine), and I'm just in better health. I suspect it would be good for me to live in the wilderness (although I believe that who I cam with is as important as camping itself.)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

After looking out the window at snow blowing sideways on March 2, and having lived through a frozen sloppy he!! for the past month, I have decided that next year I will go to FL for my January camp, and I am not comming back until someone calls and tells me the nightime high at home remained above 60 degres for 5 nights in a row!

If I camp at the reenactment for 2 weeks I can hit one state park after another for the next 6 weeks with no problem. I will escape the last of january. make it all the way through Feburary and be well into March before having to sleep under a roof or see snow!

All I have to worry about are sand fleas and carniverous armidellos, perhaps a python eating me arm first as I sleep.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    After looking out the window at snow blowing sideways on March 2, and having lived through a frozen sloppy he!! for the past month, I have decided that next year I will go to FL for my January camp, and I am not comming back until someone calls and tells me the nightime high at home remained above 60 degres for 5 nights in a row!

If I camp at the reenactment for 2 weeks I can hit one state park after another for the next 6 weeks with no problem. I will escape the last of january. make it all the way through Feburary and be well into March before having to sleep under a roof or see snow!

All I have to worry about are sand fleas and carniverous armidellos, perhaps a python eating me arm first as I sleep.
    Just don't forget your "Blade" for those green Anacondas....Oh noooo, stuck in my head again!
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Probably 20 years ago I started making a list of all the stuff I'd want to have with me if I was going to start over and build a life in the wilderness. I've maintained that list and updated it from time to time when I've had the itch to get out of the rat race. At this point, I'm not entirely sure it would fit in the back of a pickup truck. It's sure not going to fit onto my back in one trip. Just living long enough using wood to heat, knowing how much I enjoy a hot shower, growing a garden with production in mind for the last four years, and having a wife that hates being cold has made it clear that I'm not going there if I have any say in the matter.

If I don't have a say in the matter, if circumstances push me in that direction, well, I'm not planning on roughing it forever. I'm going to want a rocket mass heater, I'm going to want about four buckets full of russet and yukon gold potatoes to plant, I'm going to want to have some raspberry, currant, blackberry, and gooseberry bushes ready to start, I'm going to want a roll of tyvek, I'm going to want a good assortment of hand tools with replacement handles (I don't live in hardwood country), and I'm going to want enough piping to create a workable gravity fed water system. It's not going to fit into a backpack. Maybe into four 55 gallon drums and a dozen or more 5 gallon buckets (I'm going to want to go in with at least a year's worth of food reserves, seasonings, spices, sweeteners, etc.).

I'm a simple man, but I want to be comfortable.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

Nope. No wilderness for me. About 20 acres of farm with a mix of pasture and wood lot will suit just fine. Someone else can do the stump pulling and the initial plowing.